PDA

View Full Version : Left 4 Dead 2 (yes... 2)

safetyman
06-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Don't know how many of you have heard about this, but I know we have some L4D enthusiasts here. I'm interested in your opinions -- should this be an expansion pack? Are they abandoning the first game? Lots of questions here for me, but I must say I will most likely buy this when it comes out. If it's half again as good as the first game, I'll be happy camper.

http://www.l4d.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfsMJgypdw

Matt
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Oh yeah baby!

I'll be getting that! :D

Looks to me as it says, version 2, new game, not an add on.

RollerJesus
06-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Heck yeah. Sadly, I've been playing L4D on both PC and Xbox 360... :)

JMarc
06-04-2009, 10:24 AM
It's definately not an add-on. 4 new survivors. A new special infected called a Charger and the Witch now behaves differently, wandering around like a homeless person. 5 new campaigns. Versus mode and I believe Survivor mode still there with the new maps. More of a story threading the campaigns together as the survivors travel from New Orleans to Savannah, Georgia. Action takes place in the daylight although there are still dark areas. Improved AI can change the weather, object placement and map layout to vary things up. At least one new machine gun and several new melee weapons (axe, baseball bat and frying pan!)

Comes out November 17th. Should be a load of fun!

Matt
06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
If only the graphics and blood in the intro were like that in the game! yes, I'm sick and twisted! But hey, they're zombies!

JMarc
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
That would be very cool. I do love the intro movies, they get your heart pumping!

phil lawson
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah - I look forward to it. I see there's a lot of flame posts on the official Valve forums with people feeling ripped off.

Haven't had time for a game of L4D in a while thanks to the work load - I miss it hehe :)

safetyman
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
If only the graphics and blood in the intro were like that in the game! yes, I'm sick and twisted! But hey, they're zombies!

A man after my own heart! I did read somewhere that there is more blood and gore and it will be more like the zombie movies where you have them missing limbs, in various stages of decomposition, etc. Should be fun.

Also, I heard that it is too much content to provide via download so it will be a full retail in stores, which if true, is kinda disappointing in a way. I like the Steam method for delivering the games - I can play right away and it's usually cheaper than a boxed copy.

Matt
06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah - I look forward to it. I see there's a lot of flame posts on the official Valve forums with people feeling ripped off.

Haven't had time for a game of L4D in a while thanks to the work load - I miss it hehe :)

Yeah I read those, personally, I don't feel ripped off at all, sure a few new maps and meelee weapons could have made it in, but it's still the most fun I've had since that night with the 4 hookers and two cans of whipped cream!

:D

safetyman
06-04-2009, 01:37 PM
If you read the interviews with the folks at Valve, they are saying that they're not abandoning L4D 1, they will still be adding content (they mentioned 4 vs 4 matchmaking, whatever that is). It's just that there is so much more in L4D2 that it was too much to make as downloadable content, so it's much better as a new game. I don't think they are trying to rip us off, they just want to keep raising the bar and not sit still. You have to progress or you stagnate.

Hopper
06-04-2009, 05:32 PM
How could you possibly feel ripped off about L4D 1??? Geez people are whiney. You'd spend that much money on going out for an evening with friends. People these days are just to damn needy...

JeffrySG
06-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Chainsaw? Ax? Pan? I'm there!!!

I still play a lot and still love it. They just added the survival mode and the other vs maps. I've been so happy with the game. I'd say there is a 95% chance I'll get L4D2!

I have to read up on it a bit....

Hopper
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh that was great stuff... Just got done playing for a few hours. It's just like being at the office (except I don't get to shoot THOSE brain dead f*ckers).. :D

Matt
06-05-2009, 07:01 AM
I bet L4D2 has a frying pan achievement! Gotta last the whole game using only the frying pan!

JeffrySG
06-05-2009, 09:12 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-left-4-dead/50357

Some daytime footage....

bunch of other clips...
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/left-4-dead-2/11391

OnlineRender
06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
anybody play it on xbox live ? , PS i bought a new graphic card the other day , and whalla inside the box , was a web link to a free steam account with orangebox for free , shinnzle .

JeffrySG
06-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Check out the Axe in this video - towards the end!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-left-4-dead/50624

anybody play it on xbox live ? , PS i bought a new graphic card the other day , and whalla inside the box , was a web link to a free steam account with orangebox for free , shinnzle .

I think most of us here are PC players... (or Mac with bootcamp)

RollerJesus
06-05-2009, 12:31 PM

I play both XBox and PC. Same name, same wrath :) RollerJesus

Sonk
06-05-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm actually boycotting L4D2 and joined the steam group. Funny youtube video about the boycott:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K9bFlt_0A0

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott

nearly 9,000 members and climbing

probiner
06-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Zombies features: Always a good reason to smack, dismember and shred humans around: "Hey, cmon... They're zombies" :D

OnlineRender
11-12-2009, 06:22 AM
bumped to save thread space ! its out 20th Novemeber watch out for a mod getting released straight after it comes out .

Titus
11-12-2009, 06:48 AM
I'm really tempted to create a mod of my city called Swine Flu Outbreak.

oobievision
11-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Machete is the best mallee weapon

safetyman
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I've already got it pre-loaded. Just waiting until it's unlocked so I can stomp a mud hole in some zombies. I played the demo, but it seemed a little.... console-y to me. Maybe it's just my imagination. The gun seemed really close to your face and I couldn't see my legs anymore like in L4D 1. Hopefully the full game will have some of that stuff ironed out.

Stooch
11-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Machete is the best mallee weapon

actually the katana is, but you dont get to use it for the demo. im on every night btw. i play on expert level at around 8pm

jasonwestmas
11-13-2009, 06:51 PM
The Zombies look a lot better than the first release. I'm wondering if there will be a better Humans Vs. Zombies mode. I like the verses mode for L4D1 but I see where a lot could be elaborated on.

Matt
11-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I played the demo, but it seemed a little.... console-y to me. Maybe it's just my imagination. The gun seemed really close to your face and I couldn't see my legs anymore like in L4D 1.

Yeah they changed those things from L4D1, I agree, it makes it feel different, I'll get used to it though.

phil lawson
11-14-2009, 11:49 AM
You can become the zombie via gamestops face mapping flash application! :)

http://www.gamestopl4d2.com/ly4d.html

Stooch
11-15-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm actually boycotting L4D2 and joined the steam group. Funny youtube video about the boycott:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K9bFlt_0A0

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott

nearly 9,000 members and climbing

hahaha. thats dumb. and cheap. puhlease 50 bucks is chump change. valve is a badass company, they make badass games and they deserve every penny.

i think that there are too many entitled brats out there that expect something for nothing...

besides, have you actually played the demo? its not just an addon. its much, much more. way more fun. you guys are only hurting yourselves.

as far as modding.. so far after playing dozens of mods, i have to say that maybe 1 or 2 were actually as good as the original gaming experience...

the rest were just amateurish, poorly thought out, poorly laid out, or just cosmetic alterations...

Stooch
11-15-2009, 01:34 PM
The Zombies look a lot better than the first release. I'm wondering if there will be a better Humans Vs. Zombies mode. I like the verses mode for L4D1 but I see where a lot could be elaborated on.

there is. even now with the demo, some servers let you play as the infected and its actually pretty fun. and suprisingly hard, its so much more fun when there is even 1 player controlled zombie, they get really creative...

jasonwestmas
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
there is. even now with the demo, some servers let you play as the infected and its actually pretty fun. and suprisingly hard, its so much more fun when there is even 1 player controlled zombie, they get really creative...

That's excellent! Hope to play it soon.:)

Stooch
11-16-2009, 09:20 PM
40 minutes to go...

Newtek could learn something about the way steam releases ;) i get a count down to release date even. so easy to buy i even bought a copy for a friend.

No need to do any installing or configuring, or loading, just click buy and its setup on your system where it belongs, configured and ready to rock... genius.

online config respository, piracy protection, etc.

jasonwestmas
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Gooo Steam! I Lurve it!

Titus
11-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Let's play L4D in 8-bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFkXFqHc9E&feature=player_embedded

jasonwestmas
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Let's play L4D in 8-bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lFkXFqHc9E&feature=player_embedded
I know this is not 3D but
Is it even possible to make a 8 bit game using 3D graphics?

Matt
11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Well the demo left me a bit cold, but the full game is awesome! Loving it!

That NES de-make is brilliant!

OnlineRender
11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
too scary :D

Matt
11-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm doing the campaign on Expert (or the one below the top level) and I can't find the damn alarm to shut it off, just can't get past that part, too many zombies! Where TF is the alarm!?!?!!?!?

The director is evil on this level too, I've had 4 special infected to fight at one time!!!!!!

Stooch
11-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm doing the campaign on Expert (or the one below the top level) and I can't find the damn alarm to shut it off, just can't get past that part, too many zombies! Where TF is the alarm!?!?!!?!?

The director is evil on this level too, I've had 4 special infected to fight at one time!!!!!!

which one? in the first campaign there is an alarm after you get the cola.

there you dont turn it off, you just run back to the store and give it back to the guy then he blows the truck and you go to safe point.

the second time is in the mall, the alarm is on the third floor, you gotta run up he stairs, you cant miss it. just keep going up (you should see a directional hint telling you were it is anyway)

this is a difficult thing to do, if youhave ****** teammates just try to pair up with someone good and leave them behind. 'DONT do it alone though or you will be raped by specials.

safetyman
11-19-2009, 05:32 AM
The amount of tanks and special infected that attack you near the end stages is utterly insane! I love it. The versus mode is much better IMO due to the fact that you now have 6 (correct me if I'm wrong) special infected to throw at the survivors. Great game -- I just wish I could see my feet (did I mention that already?)

Matt
11-19-2009, 07:08 AM
which one? in the first campaign there is an alarm after you get the cola.

there you dont turn it off, you just run back to the store and give it back to the guy then he blows the truck and you go to safe point.

the second time is in the mall, the alarm is on the third floor, you gotta run up he stairs, you cant miss it. just keep going up (you should see a directional hint telling you were it is anyway)

this is a difficult thing to do, if youhave ****** teammates just try to pair up with someone good and leave them behind. 'DONT do it alone though or you will be raped by specials.

No I'm in the Mall, but I've found it now, in a room right at the top far end.

I got there, was low on health and then a Tank was thrown into the mix, hardly fair!

I like that it's difficult though!

jasonwestmas
11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I got there, was low on health and then a Tank was thrown into the mix, hardly fair!

I like that it's difficult though!

What's a game without a little drama! :devil:

IMI
11-19-2009, 08:27 PM
No need to do any installing or configuring, or loading, just click buy and its setup on your system where it belongs, configured and ready to rock... genius.

online config respository, piracy protection, etc.

That IS the great thing about Steam, plus the backup utility for backing up to drive or for CD's or DVD's is just as much part of the genius. Just a couple clicks and everything is backed up, including a reinstaller .exe, ready to be reinstalled at a later date. Fast, too.

Matt
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
I agree Steam has done content delivery very well.

Titus
11-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Yeah, but it's a pain Steam wants to update your game just when you're ready to start a game. That's my only complain.

jasonwestmas
11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but it's a pain Steam wants to update your game just when you're ready to start a game. That's my only complain.

You can turn that off but you can't play multiplayer then. :devil:

OnlineRender
11-20-2009, 02:36 AM
I got a little shot of assassin creed 2 the other day , its pretty good ! takes a while to get into but once your there's no stopping you from running up the walls :D , didn't want to start another thread but the games excellent , only thing is I thought the graphics could have been better .

Bog
11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone feel like whacking Zack tonight? I'm L4D2'd up and itching to get stuck in - and with the banter, o'course!

Stooch
11-25-2009, 08:22 PM
im on often, my steam ID is : stoochie

Hieron
11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
I agree Steam has done content delivery very well.

+1

I buy quite some games, the money is less of an issue now than when I was in college. IMHO it's a good answer to pirating.. it's not only about the money, it's ease of acquiring.

Saturday night, you're up for a game, but all stores are closed (not living in US here :)). What were decent options years ago?

Steam is great.

(too bad I didn't notice that Steam actually deletes all games when you uninstall Steam itself untill it was too late.. Still haven't downloaded them all again yet..

JeffrySG
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
If anyone is still thinking about ordering 2 it's on sale for 30 bucks at gamestop for a little while. Free shipping with the code as well. :)

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/26930/Left-4-Dead-2-Game-for-PC-30

JCG
11-28-2009, 07:33 PM
I see that L4D1 is only ~$7 today. Is it still worth it, or has everyone moved to "2" and left "1" a deserted wasteland?