06-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Hi all,
I have :
PowerMac G5 Daul processors 2 GHz
160 GB Hard drive
2.5 GB Ram
Graphic Card: GeForce FX 5200
OS X: 10.5.7

I want to upgrade the graphic card, is there abillity for that, and what suitable graphic card for my specification above..... thanks.

rsfd
06-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Hi,

this will be quite a difficult experience, as there aren't many cards for the G5 available (as in general for Macs).

First you have to exactly determine which G5 model you have as there were quite a lot of them each with changes especially for the graphic cards slots:

there were different Dual 2.0 GHz models:
June 2003, June 2004, April 2005 and October 2005 (with the shift to dual-core instead of dual processors)

the 2004 G5 (which I think is yours) has an AGP8x video slot (originally came with nVidia GeForce FX5200 Ultra 64MB):

here you could install an
ATI RADEON X800XT Mac edition AGP4x/8x 256MB
(! there were producion problems with the X800 chips !) or an
ATI RADEON 9600 Pro MacEdition 128MB or an
ATI RADEON 9800 Pro MacEdition 128 and 256MB
(all AGP8x)

the "early 2005" model also had an AGP 8x slot with additional PCI slots
here you could install same cards as on the 2004 G5

the "late 2005" model has a 16x PCI Express slot
here you could install an ATI RADEON X1900 G5 MacEdition 256MB ( noisy fan )

you can have a look at lowendmac.com (http://lowendmac.com/ppc/index.shtml) to get some more info if needed - good luck!

avkills
06-12-2009, 06:29 AM
I have an X800 in mine, although the stock heat sink/fan sucks and it was a pain in the *** to remove it; but I did and now have a aftermarket cooler on it.

I also purchased a reflashed GeForce 7xxx card that worked initially, but then started to give me fits; so I went back to the X800.

All this drama was caused by the upgrade to Leopard and the fact that the GPU drivers that Apple had really sucked.

In my opinion, you should just save your pennies and get a new machine; with the announcement of Snow Leopard being Intel only, the PowerPC machines are pretty much officially dead.

I, myself, will not be spending any more money on my G5 machine at home -- I'll run it until it either stops working or I'm forced to upgrade. Snow Leopard has not forced that issue yet -- when the main apps stop working, then I might care.

-mark

Fadlabi
06-13-2009, 04:01 AM
In my opinion, you should just save your pennies and get a new machine; with the announcement of Snow Leopard being Intel only, the PowerPC machines are pretty much officially dead.
-mark

Thanks rsfd and avkills for this help and as avkills said i will save my pennies to get a new machine.