PDA

View Full Version : Need help from a VT night owl!

m4a2000
06-03-2009, 11:40 PM
As I write this as I am under the wire... It is 2233 and at 0700 I have to have my studio fully rewired. I can't do that until I solve this current problem I am having with my VT5.

My system(SuperMicro X6DA8-G2) isn't seeing the card. I took a look and notice that I had disconnected the power cable to the card earlier while installing a new graphics card(eVGA GeForce 9600 GT). I plugged the power back in and the system still didn't see that card. The power cord does have power going through it and a quick check through Device Manager still showed no VT card.

Help is need ASAP... PLEASE!!!

radams
06-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Okay, let see if I can give you a hand.

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Okay, let see if I can give you a hand.
It would be welcomed... At this point I wold not want to do a overnight re-install, but if I have to...

radams
06-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Tell me what your whole systme is set up for...did you add or take away anything when you were updating the system ?

How much Ram do you have and what OS are you running ?

When in doubt start from scratch...take the whole card out.

then unconnect then reconnect all ribbon cables etc...to the VT.

Verify that you didn't cause any damage when it got unplugged.
Is the memory in properly etc...do you have an SDI connection ?

What other connections and cards to you have ?

Unplug anything that you don't need right now.
Keep your network, keyboard, mouse, etc...but take off all other things.

Bootup and make certain that the base system is working correctly.

You may need to delete VT from your system and resinstall it...but lets see first.

Cheers,

radams
06-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Do you use skype ?

radams
06-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Just an FYI, VT has problems seeing the card if you have more that 2 Gigs of memory.

radams
06-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Which Slot do you have the VT in...try changing slots.

radams
06-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Well, I think I lost you....
I'm going to turn in, in just a moment.

Cheers,

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Tell me what your whole systme is set up for...did you add or take away anything when you were updating the system ?

How much Ram do you have and what OS are you running ?

When in doubt start from scratch...take the whole card out.

then unconnect then reconnect all ribbon cables etc...to the VT.

Verify that you didn't cause any damage when it got unplugged.
Is the memory in properly etc...do you have an SDI connection ?

What other connections and cards to you have ?

Unplug anything that you don't need right now.
Keep your network, keyboard, mouse, etc...but take off all other things.

Bootup and make certain that the base system is working correctly.

You may need to delete VT from your system and resinstall it...but lets see first.

Cheers,

PS: Do you use skype ?

I am using a SuperMicro Server Board X6DA8-G2 with 2 dual core Xeons running at 3.0 GHz, The OS is XP 64-Bit running with 2 Gigs of RAM. C drive (OS and programs) is a eSATA drive, D drive (long term storage) is a eSATA, E drive is a dual layer DVD burner, F drive is a normal burner, and V drive (video stream)is a radio 0 over 4 SCSI drive 4. The system does have a floppy drive.

The only thing installed with the new graphics card was its drivers. I did that around 1100 today and noticed this problem around 1700... I did no other work on the system between these times.

I am going to check the connections again, but as for Skype I can use it. I work at a high school and that is locked out. I could try to connect to a Wifi nearby or use a school phone seeing as my cell phone battery is dead.

As we say in Seattle, "When it rains only the whips get umbrellas."

radams
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I know this is a hassle...but do you have the old card...with the old drivers still ?

If so uninstall the latest card and drivers...and see if VT works again.

radams
06-04-2009, 12:27 AM
What was the old card...and what is the new card ?

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I know this is a hassle...but do you have the old card...with the old drivers still ?

If so uninstall the latest card and drivers...and see if VT works again.
Th current card I have is what I got with the system back in summer of 06 when it was a VT4.6 system. I'v tryed to re-install the drivers, but I got an error every time at the end and now a quick blue screen then it restarts.

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 12:28 AM
What was the old card...and what is the new card ?
Do you mean the Graphics card or the VT card?

radams
06-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Okay...with the bad reinstall of the driver...I would suggest completely uninstalling VT and resintalling it...
That includes cleaning the registry.

I meant the GFX card...

radams
06-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Good luck...I'm needing to get some sleep.

Cheers,

radams
06-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Your new G card....does it take more power ?
Why I ask...is that your power supply might not be able to handle all the devices...

Cheers,

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Okay...with the bad reinstall of the driver...I would suggest completely uninstalling VT and resintalling it...
That includes cleaning the registry.

I meant the GFX card...

I still have my old card, a 8800 GTX, and as for a reinstall... Joy... Time to crank it!

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Your new G card....does it take more power ?
Why I ask...is that your power supply might not be able to handle all the devices...

Cheers,

Power supply is a 1K and the new card uses less power then the old card. The old car needed to power cable, this one needed none.

radams
Good Luck, sorry it wasn't a quick fix.

Cheers,

m4a2000
Good Luck, sorry it wasn't a quick fix.

Cheers,

Thanks!

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 01:39 AM
With how everything is at this point I am just going to wire in the old Panasonic Digital AV Mixer WJ-MX20 and the Videonics Video Titlemaker 3000. I'll give my vender a call once they open and ask for a time to bring it in for an overhaul... I can only do some much, and I am throughing in the towel.

What sucks about this is that the seniors of the video class have thier last news show this morning and I feel sorry for them. The system has been acting up since May 27 and since then they've not been able to use the equipment that they were trained to use the last 3 years. Up until last week 90% of them didn't even know we had those to old things for back-up.

Well... back to wiring...

Dexter2999
06-04-2009, 01:41 AM
Do you have any cards in your device manager that the system hasn't identified?
If you have any unidentified multimedia cards maybe try going to the properties to associate the card to the correct driver?

Just a shot in the dark.

m4a2000
06-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Do you have any cards in your device manager that the system hasn't identified?
If you have any unidentified multimedia cards maybe try going to the properties to associate the card to the correct driver?

Just a shot in the dark.
One of the first things I did... Also, I took off the case cover and booted up the computer a few times so I could take a look inside and see if everything was doing what it should. The VT card has a little green light near the its power pluggin... That light did not come on during all of those boots.

SBowie
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Same slot as you had it in previously?

m4a2000
06-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Same slot as you had it in previously?
No, I tried a 2nd one then back... After some more troubleshooting and a phone call to my vender it looks like the motherboard is going bad. I going to give SuperMicro a call Monday and see if it's something simple...

I really hope its not.

SBowie
06-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Tried (gently) cleaning the card edge contacts?

m4a2000
08-11-2009, 02:31 PM
OK, finally got my system back from SuperMicro (never again do I want to deal with those people) and found out what the problem was. They found that the BIOS was corrupted. They cleared the CMOS and updated the BIOS and sent it back. Once I get some free time (Saturday) I'll do some test of my own and get the VT back up to running order.

The reason this took so long was of SuperMicro Tech Support. I spent all of June on the phone with this same guy the kept saying that the problem was the cooling of the CPUs. Once I got into July I decided to take another route and by July 18th I was able to get them to give me an RMA. Personally, after all this, I hope I never have to deal with them again.

Now... to the fun part... Reinstalling!!!