PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #41 - It Goes In Your Pocket

Hopper
06-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Speed Modelling Challenge #41 - It Goes In Your Pocket
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - It Goes In Your Pocket

Where would the world be today without pockets? Where would we put our phones, loose change, pocket knives, wallets, slide rules, and pygmies? We wouldn't carry half the things we have around with us without them. Either that, or we would all be carrying purses - and we wouldn't want that would we... Geeks just wouldn't be the same without pocket protectors!

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 10 June 2200 GMT

R.Feeney
06-04-2009, 02:54 AM
Nice one...

"What has it got in its pocketses?"

oobievision
06-04-2009, 03:08 AM
I guess ill make something in my pockets lets see gum, condom , ... maybe I should stop before I pull something I dont want known.......O.o lol

Crossfire
06-04-2009, 06:24 AM
oh the endless possibilities! Love it!:thumbsup:
good topic.

JeffrySG
06-04-2009, 07:10 AM
"What has it got in its pocketses?"
LOLS... Gollum Gum!

oobievision
06-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I got started on this one right away, 35min Modeling, 2h30min texture lighting.
and yes I always carry one in my pocket.

JeffrySG
06-04-2009, 07:45 AM
I got started on this one right away, 35min Modeling, 2h30min texture lighting.
and yes I always carry one in my pocket.

Nice... That was one of the things I thought of doing too. It might loos a little nicer with some slightly softer shadows.

oobievision
06-04-2009, 08:06 AM
yeah ill prolly move the lights around I have 3 area lights. But I havent slept in over 24 hours so that adds to the early render and prolly why I thought they looked good. lol. ill place another render when I have a chance.

COBRASoft
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey,

Here is my first entry for this week. A simple key :)

Moddeling about 30 minutes, layout & render 45 minutes.

Greetings,
Sigurd

R.Feeney
06-04-2009, 08:30 PM
The Zippo is not fully finished, you just cant see it from this angle, right up to the hour on this one.

Nice work on the key COBRASoft and the USB thingy oobievision.

AdamAvenali
06-04-2009, 08:34 PM
The Zippo is not fully finished, you just cant see it from this angle, right up to the hour on this one.

nice work! i grew up 30 minutes from Zippo headquarters haha

JeffrySG
06-04-2009, 09:16 PM

Nice work on the key COBRASoft and the USB thingy oobievision.

Nice lighter! I like the flame too! Was it HV? or an image map?

JeffrySG
06-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Here's my entry... I spent the full hour on the model. I probably put more detail than was needed on this one but just tried to be really accurate. Spent the whole afternoon setting up the scene, textures and lighting. I've been doing so much subd work lately that I decided to go all poly modeling on this one. Not a subd in sight!

AdamAvenali
06-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Here's my entry... I spent the full hour on the model. I probably put more detail than was needed on this one but just tried to be really accurate. Spent the whole afternoon setting up the scene, textures and lighting. I've been doing so much subd work lately that I decided to go all poly modeling on this one. Not a subd in sight!

i know this smiley is called "eek," but in this context i want it to mean "amazement" :eek: stellar!

Hopper
06-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Damn Jeffry .. pretty slick. Extremely clean render too. I'm assuming you used the SSS shader for that waxy look.

R. Feeney that lighter has some great detail to it. I don't think I could have pulled that one off in an hour.

I started my pocket knife and was almost done when modeler crashed. Too bad I hadn't saved. I'll just have to redo it this weekend.

COBRASoft
06-05-2009, 04:12 AM
Nice ligther!

Maybe, I'll try something else this weekend.

Iain
06-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry I know a key has been done already but this was in my pocket when I got home and read the thread. Plus, I like the fact it's a battered old key on a shiny new fob.

Modelled in 45 minutes and about 1 hour 20 to surface and render. If only I had a nice bowl to put it in :hey:

COBRASoft
06-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Nice key, so much better than my 30 mins attempt :D

JeffrySG
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
i know this smiley is called "eek," but in this context i want it to mean "amazement" :eek: stellar!
Thanks Adam. :)

Damn Jeffry .. pretty slick. Extremely clean render too. I'm assuming you used the SSS shader for that waxy look.
Thx Hopper. Yes, I ended up using the Sigma material for that surface. It's not exact but it is pretty close. This is where having a really fast real time previewer would really help. Doing test render after test render gets old really fast! lol

JeffrySG
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry I know a key has been done already but this was in my pocket when I got home and read the thread. Plus, I like the fact it's a battered old key on a shiny new fob.

Modelled in 45 minutes and about 1 hour 20 to surface and render. If only I had a nice bowl to put it in :hey:

Very nice! I like the small type on the wireframe. Now we can duplicate that key and stay at your place! ;)

Iain
06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Now we can duplicate that key and stay at your place! ;)

Well, my room in my college dormitory anyway. If cheap continental hotel rooms are your thing, you'll love it :D

I meant to say that your chapstick render was just about perfect btw :thumbsup:

JCG
06-06-2009, 01:07 AM
A pocket monster?
About 17 minutes to model.

It was dropped in ye olde anthill scene (now with 50% less unjustifiable outdoor shadows:oye:). Lame, I know, but I just had to render it without those weird extra shadows.

flakester
06-06-2009, 04:38 AM
Absolutely awesome stuff so far folks, great work. :thumbsup:

There's one kind of thing that can pretty much always be found in my pocket; a disposable lighter.

The full hour for the modelling, about 45 mins on the layout and render.
Happy to share the model and scene should anyone want them.

--
flakester

Iain
06-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Good work guys.

Love that wireframe, flakester. :thumbsup:

Iain
06-07-2009, 03:05 AM
Just washed my jeans and took this out of the pocket.
(Modelling 10 minutes, rendering about 15.)

Iain
06-07-2009, 04:32 AM
Found a nice bowl and chucked my key into it (bit too enthusiastically I think!)

JeffrySG
06-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Nice lighter, flakester! Really clean wires too. :)

Thanks Iain, much appreciated. :) Pen came out really nice. Is that a carbon fiber texture under it? looks very cool. And stop breaking all of those bowls!

flakester
06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Nice lighter, flakester! Really clean wires too. :)
~

Cheers Dude! :thumbsup:

~ Pen came out really nice. Is that a carbon fiber texture under it? looks very cool. And stop breaking all of those bowls!

:agree: Fab stuff Iain.
Grand stuff so far all.

--
flakester

R.Feeney
06-07-2009, 08:00 PM
nice work! i grew up 30 minutes from Zippo headquarters haha
Thanks, Cool were you ever in there?

Nice lighter! I like the flame too! Was it HV? or an image map?
Cheers. It was an Image map and a lensflare

R. Feeney that lighter has some great detail to it. I don't think I could have pulled that one off in an hour.

It was more complicated than I imagined it would be

Nice ligther!

Maybe, I'll try something else this weekend.

Some simply stunning work from all of you:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I may have lost all of mine years ago but I used to carry around a pocket full of these.
About 5 min to model the marbles and an hour playing around with the surfaces.

Hopper
06-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I may have lost all of mine years ago but I used to carry around a pocket full of these.
Totally cool Feeney. I like the bubbles - nice touch. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM

Cheers :D

AdamAvenali
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks, Cool were you ever in there?

yeah, it's a pretty cool place. i used to work with an illustrator that designed some stuff for on the lighters.

JeffrySG
06-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Yeah! Great job and render!

oobievision
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
wow the marbles look awsome!

Crossfire
06-08-2009, 10:10 AM
:agree: Very Awesome marbles!

Crossfire
06-08-2009, 10:22 AM
It's already been done, but I figured I'd model the one that I had in my pocket! I actually modeled a dongle as well but I went over the time limit and didn't get to finish all the detail that I wanted:cursin:. It's posted below as well. The pen took about 30 minuets for modeling and another 30 for texture and rendering.

Great job from eveyone so far!:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
06-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks guys :D

Nice work on the pen and dongle Crossfire.

You dont see these much anymore with Gps and mobile phones.

about 45min modeling this pocket compass

robert_Lavigne
06-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Great work everyone!!

Here's my version Of a pocket watch. I've always wanted one, but don't wear a suit often enough to make it worth buying. I'm pretty sure it would clash with my t-shirt. 50 minutes to model, 3 hours on the texturing and setup.

R.Feeney
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Good work Robert

AdamAvenali
06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Great work everyone!!
Here's my version Of a pocket watch. I've always wanted one, but don't wear a suit often enough to make it worth buying. I'm pretty sure it would clash with my t-shirt. 50 minutes to model, 3 hours on the texturing and setup.

hey robert, i dont know if you saw the other thread but feel free to PM R. Feeney the topic for this wednesday as he offered to start the thread for you. you can pick the winnder next wednesday when you return :thumbsup:

robert_Lavigne
06-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Sounds good Adam will do.

adamredwoods
06-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Inappropriate?
Modeling took about 45 min. Had to think about assembly, not presentation.

Crossfire
06-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Inappropriate?

:DLove the panties! Too Funny!:thumbsup:

art
06-09-2009, 07:24 AM
That's a good one Adam. :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
06-09-2009, 08:14 AM
Inappropriate?

lol, that came out nice! nice work on the texturing too!

Hopper
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm ... I guess we can accept a "Goes In Your Pocket or Under Your Car Seat" kind of entry! :D :thumbsup:

adamredwoods
06-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Ha! Thanks for comments. I have had those in my pockets before (not mine, i swear! ;D), so it counts towards this entry.

Hopper
06-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey guys, thanks for doing this one. All the entries were pretty damn cool. I just got home from work and I'm pretty beat. I will do the final judging when I get home tomorrow eveniing. Of course I should just give it to adamredwoods on principle alone, but .. alas.. it will have to wait until tomorrow. :)

intssed
06-11-2009, 06:20 AM
2 centimes. Modeling 25 min.
p.s. 2 centimes = 0,02 LVL; 1,- LVL = 1,99 USD

oobievision
06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I know who won this one already, gotta hand it to the panties:bowdown:

Crossfire
06-11-2009, 09:43 AM
:agree: awesome panties!

Hopper
06-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Ok guys, sorry for the delay. I have been out of town all weekend with no access. So here goes...

This one was hard to call. Everyone seems to be able to get the most out of just a few polys. The efficiency and results are pretty amazing.

R. Feeney - The Zippo is damn amazing model-wise. I probably would have twisted the mesh into a pretzel trying to figure out how to get those shapes. And the marbles were very different and creative as far as the modeling effort goes.

oobievision and COBRASoft also got a LOT of model for such a low poly count. Very impressive... very clean.

Jeffrey's ChapStick was the shiznit. Man, those came out superbly on the render. I was actually more impressed with the render than the model itself. But of course ... what more can you do with a tube right?

And then there's Iain's key. I have to say, that the worst subD poly flow I've ever seen man.. lol. :D (just pokin at ya). But nonetheless, it still came out great. Nicely done as usual.

JCG - Is that a pocket monster or are you just happy to see me... very quick and clean.

Flakester's lighters was one of my favorites. The renders came out great, but the wires impressed me more. Really nice work getting the shapes in line, but -1 point for orange wires... I hate orange. (kidding).

Crossfire's pen was nice for a clean and simple flow, but the dongle was perfectly executed. The modeled "rainbow" instead of using a bump map was an excellent touch.

If it were a contest for efficiency only, I might have given it to Robert. for the pocket watch. Great job with that one.

And then there was adamredwoods panties... What can I say. swift and easy modeling for sure, but an extra 100 points for originality and taste (at least they weren't granny panties). :D

And the winner is...

Crossfire for the NT Rainbow dongle! Excellent job.. I chose this one because of the level of effort for a 60 minute challeng, the detail is fairly accurate, and purple is better than orange. :D

Tied for 2nd place I'd have to say R. Feeney for the Zippos, and adamredwoods (for obvious reasons).

And honorable mention goes to flakester's lighters. I just really like the wires on those. Feel free to post that one along with the scene. I'd like to pick that one apart.

Great work from everyone.

flakester
06-15-2009, 12:21 PM
Congrats Crossfire, awesome stuff! :thumbsup:

Well done all, grand entries.

~ And honorable mention goes to flakester's lighters. I just really like the wires on those. Feel free to post that one along with the scene. I'd like to pick that one apart. ~

Cheers Dude! Pretty sure I have that version of the scene on my work machine. I'll have a nosey at work tomorrow and post it here if I can find it.

--
flakester

Crossfire
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Wow Thanks! Great models/renders all around this time!:thumbsup:
I won't post the next challenge until "grandma's gifts #42" gets closer to wrapping up.

Again, great job all!:thumbsup:

JeffrySG
06-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Congrats Crossfire! :D

adamredwoods
06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Excellent job Crossfire, and to RFeeney and Flakester on the zippo lighters!

flakester
06-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Here we go, the wires version of my lighters - object and scene in a Rar file. Happy unpicking! :thumbsup:

--
flakester