PDA

View Full Version : Character Rig

h2oStudios
06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Here is a Character Rig that I made a few weeks ago (I went coockoo for rigging puffs). Just added a few things recently. Basically how I created this rig, and I hope he doesn't mind since he is actually making video tuts on the subject;), is that when RebelHill gave us his Jerico Rig I DLed it, ripped it to itty bitty peices, figured out some of the mechanics, and put my own rig together based on what I could muster out of his(but no seperate Deform Rig, just one Control Rig). Some things are still a bit quierky(sp?); IK fingers have a bit of a problem through space switching, Head Targeting doesn't seem to blend with FK Rots, no stretchy IK yet. Anyway here, take a look, play around, and above all let me know what ya think, and/or any suggestions on how to improve it or fix any issues.

CHEERS

RebelHill
06-04-2009, 01:30 PM
there ya go... not bad at all. Starts to come clear once u get in and dig around a bit, though plgik is pretty solid, which helps getting good results. Still some refinements and improves to make, but getting there for sure.

AdamAvenali
06-04-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks h20! i can't get enough of these guys to mess around with, though it has been ages since i have actually rigged anything.

i do have a question about the bone icon size, is there a way to change them all at once? or do i have to go through each one?

precedia
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
i do have a question about the bone icon size, is there a way to change them all at once? or do i have to go through each one?

There's a global setting. For 9.6 select Edit->Display Options->Display tab.
In the lower third you see three more tabs. Select the "Handles & Icons." Change the "Bone Icon Size."

Daniel

AdamAvenali
06-04-2009, 02:08 PM
In the lower third you see three more tabs. Select the "Handles & Icons." Change the "Bone Icon Size."

thanks! i would have never found that on my own haha

h2oStudios
06-04-2009, 03:06 PM
there ya go... not bad at all. Starts to come clear once u get in and dig around a bit, though plgik is pretty solid, which helps getting good results. Still some refinements and improves to make, but getting there for sure.

Thanks man, yeah I spent a GOOD amount of time playing surgeon on Jerico to figure some things out - that when ya kind of first look at you almost fall outa your chair. But I'm glad I did, so gotta say thanks for hooking us up with your knowledge, RH. Any suggestions on how to improve or refine?:hey: Waiting for your blasted Tuts;)

Daniel

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned a few things; I used auto size bones, The rig is totally PLGIK with Match Goal Plug and constraints & SAI stuff + Expressions etc. etc. etc., and I think the scene file will open in 9.6 only, not sure if it'll open in a pre 9.6 version. I guess maybe I'll try to save out a version for older LWs if anyone really wants to tinker about but doesn't have 9.6. But anyhow, I'm really looking for suggestions on a few things - like getting true Auto-Snap for the IK goals and resolving some space switching issues on things like IK fingers and such, so come on peepz :help: me out. :D

h2oStudios
06-06-2009, 04:30 PM
there ya go... Still some refinements and improves to make, but getting there for sure.

Doh!!:foreheads: Today I just went back and took another look at Jerico, and this time I'm taking a REAL good look, like I whipped out the F-ing magnifying glass, and realized just how much stuff I overlooked before. Which now explains a bit of why I have certain issues with my rig and also why it seems to function half-assed in comparison. Now I'm getting determined, and am deciding break out the microscope and give my rig a total overhaul; rebuild from the ground up. See ya in a about a week.;)

h2oStudios
06-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I've been busy with other things, but here's a revision of my character rig. All dressed up as best as I could so far; still no decent facial rig yet.

There are 2 scene files in the zip (Both PLG), one is a setup with all the basic stuff and re-pinning - the only thing I found immediately that breaks (haven't done any test anims with this particular one yet) is Head and Chest pins when Spine_IK_Shoulder_Pin is turned on, other than that it looks solid.

The second is the same rig but with Stretchy IK for Arms, Legs, and Spine. It's cool and dandy, but ... but ... it uses Native LW Positional IK for the Stretchy (as described by our good friend RebelHill), and for the love of God, some reason if any item in the rig has LW IK applied to it I lose all my re-pinning abilities!?!:confused::help: Is there ANY way around this issue? Anyone? Anyone? Ahem, rh?

Anyway, check it out let, me know what ya think, and as usual any comments, suggestions, [I]tips?[I] are welcome.:)

h2o