PDA

View Full Version : Demons in the machine

DrStrik9
06-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Today seems to be "Lightwave hell" for some reason.

I'm getting the expected result in my texture sample, but the OPPOSITE result in the render. :-(

See the attached screen shot. I'm trying to put a band of bump on an object, based on the Y-coordinate of a gradient node, (dielectric material) -- and in the node editor's texture preview it looks as it should, but when it is rendered, the bump shows up in the OPPOSITE area of the surface from what it is specified and previewed in the node editor.

I am now going to go out and kill myself ...

Sensei
06-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Maybe it's something else.. Whenever I set white color in Dielectric, I am getting completely transparent surface. So, if it'll be the same on your machine, you should see what is behind - that would explain why there is no bump on your picture..

Anyone, before committing suicide, attach object so we can play with it..

I am guessing that you set gradient Input to Y Coordinate. And used Surface Editor/Node Editor previewers are reference. But coordinate system in real scene is completely different than in previewers. You have object coordinate system, world coordinate system. Your object looks like rotated- so world won't match object coordinate space anymore!

DrStrik9
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Yes, of course, the suicide reference was in jest - or at least just strong frustration. :-)

I'm back from my evening meeting, so I will completely check the object and all scene components. If I can't find the problem, I'll zip and attach the objects and scene.

Thanks for being there. :-)

DrStrik9
06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Well, after trying everything under the sun: examining the object, coordinate system, other texturing methods, etc., I put this little object in a scene by itself, and it renders exactly as it should. So I made a small change and resaved it, and now it renders fine in the main scene. So all my confusion (and a wasted day) was over nothing but some kind of file glitch ...

Live and learn. :-)