PDA

View Full Version : "Sample Size"

DrStrik9
06-02-2009, 03:47 PM
This is a little thing, but it has been driving me bats.

In the 9.x docs, referring to the little sphere or cube showing the surface in both the surface editor and node editor, it says, "Sample Size is the diameter of the sampled area on the surface. To obtain the most accurate preview, set this option to the approximate surface size to which you are applying the current attributes. Preview Type sets the shape of your sample surface."

I had no problem with this in 8.5, but I have found it to be untrue in LW 9.6. I have a sphere that is 1 meter tall, and I tell the surface editor to display a "sample size" sphere of the texture as a 1 meter sphere, what I see is in fact NOT a 1 meter sphere sample of my surface at all. It is something a lot closer to a 1/3-meter size sample.

To get the "sample size" to show a 1-meter sphere, I have to tell the regular surface editor and/or the node editor, to display a 3-meter sphere, or generally 3 times the size of my geometry.

What am I missing here? Why is this? Thanks for any intelligent light shed on this strangeness. :-)

DrStrik9
06-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Well, now I'm getting inconsistent results on this.

It seems that LW 9.6 makes its own inconsistent decisions on exactly what size the "sample size" sphere or cube will represent, on an apparently random basis (??)

This is incredibly frustrating.

DrStrik9
06-02-2009, 04:37 PM
I may be beating a dead horse here. :-/

It's just that I used to really depend on this texture preview more than I am able to now.

Please see the attached screen-grab, which fully describes my confusion on the "sample size" setting for the texture preview in 9.6, for both the surface editor, and the node editor.

Sensei
06-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I have tried it here. Sample Size of 1 m means that you will have sphere that has XYZ between -0.5 to 0.5 m (in total 1m). On your picture you set gradient between 0.1 to 0.9 to gray and Sample Size to 2.0m. And everything is fine IMHO. Sphere is generated between -1.0 to 1.0 (in total 2m).

Try something like that: gradient with Y -1.0 to red, Y 0.0 to white and Y 1.0 to blue. and set Sample Size to 2m. You will see clear red/blue on north and south poles, and white on equator.