PDA

View Full Version : creating 16:9 graphics, pixel size?

rally1
06-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Keeping in mind square vs rectangular pixels, what size do I want to make my graphics in Illustrator now that I am using 16:9. Is the TC 16:9 anamorphic?

SBowie
06-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Is the TC 16:9 anamorphic?Yes. You could just create them at 16:9 square pixel, and let the TC take care of the rest. (I just tested this with an 800x450 image, and it looks perfect.)

joseburgos
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
873x480 for DV res wide screen or 873x486 for D1 or just choose create new, video and film document and change size using the Illustrator presets.
Illustrator does not have the aspect ratio adjustment like Photoshop since it only does square pixels.

Take care,

rally1
06-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Perfect, thanks, so in Photoshop there is already a tool that does the math for you?

that should eliminate the stretching, I'll trial and error until I get the cropping right on the live stream, the manual suggests 5%.

rally1
06-02-2009, 11:12 PM
The problem seems to be that the "edit text" tab isn't setup for 16:9. I only have just over 700 pixels across to even work with. The safe area defined as 700x480. So if we make a 873x480 image, and pull it up from the filebin, I lose 173 pixels, and then the resulting overlay is stretched. Bug?

SBowie
06-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Aaahh, you are attempting to bring the image you created into EditText (perhaps to create a Title Template from it?). You hadn't mentioned that above I don't think.

EditText actually does work in 16:9 when the TC is configured for that aspect, in that tools constraints and guides are adjusted (so that 'squares are square and circles are round when disaplayed as 16:9). The exported page size does not change, however - since SD 16:9 has exactly the same dimensions in pixels as SD 4:3.

If you simply dropped your over-size image into the DDR, it would automatically be scaled to fit ... but for import into EditText, you'll have to scale it (since your external application of choice is not aware of pixel aspect).

This isn't hard to do. Just work at any 16:9 resolution you like (ideally at least as large 480 pixels high), then - when ready to export for use in EditText, scale it to 720X480. This will squash it horizontally, but it will look right displayed as SD 16:9.

joseburgos
06-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Exactly what Steve wrote but remember, if you use Photoshop, then it has the proper preset for DV/D1 wide screen which is 720x480 or 720x486 respectively only it changes the aspect ratio to be 1.21 (rather than .91 for 4:3)).
So in Photoshop, new, then select preset film and video and change the size to DV or D1 wide screen. I use D1.
Photoshop will also add guides so you can obey safe zones all automatic when using the Photoshop presets.

Good luck,

SBowie
06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Right - the same is true of Aura or Mirage, if you have access to one of those. I described the case for Illustrator (which afaik does not provide PAR options) since you mentioned that's what you are using.

joseburgos
06-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Right - the same is true of Aura or Mirage, if you have access to one of those. I described the case for Illustrator (which afaik does not provide PAR options) since you mentioned that's what you are using.

Right and IMHO don't use Illustrator to create the title. Use it for text, shapes, etc. and then load these into Photoshop to complete the title.
Illustrator will size the final image to whatever the outer boundaries of the elements when you rasterize for a image file like PNG. In other words, if you create a lower third with shapes and gradients and alpha fades, when you rasterize this and export as a PNG, for example, the final image size will be the size of the lower third portion only and be blown up to fill the screen.
Now this could be from my moderate knowledge of Illustrator but I prefer to complete the graphic in Photoshop with elements I made in Illustrator.

Take care

SBowie
06-03-2009, 08:20 AM
You could well be right, can't say Josť - I don't use it either. I don't know if Illustrator always optimizes bitmap exports (i.e., discards unnecessary transparent areas of the canvas) or not.

rally1
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Appreciate the help, I think I have my head around it now and it makes sense.