PDA

View Full Version : Medical Intubation

Zarathustra
08-21-2003, 01:30 PM
These are basically ways to shove a tube down someone's throat. There might be things that will get tweaked later, but I'm going to go ahead and call them finished and post them here.

Animations (http://magicanimation.com/intubation)

Feel free to say whatever you want. I'm not the sensitive type. :D

adrian
08-21-2003, 03:11 PM
Link doesn't work....

Zarathustra
08-21-2003, 03:17 PM
sorry. Please try it now.

adrian
08-21-2003, 03:24 PM
All I can say is that I hope that never has to happen to me!

As for the animations, they are very clear and the graphics are very good. I like them, they're very well done.

I take it this is a professional job? Maybe for training?

Sorry, no adverse comments other than to say it looks a bloody horrible experience!!

Just out of interest, how long did it take you to model? And how did you learn how this was done?

Good stuff,

Adrian.

BoulYaBase
08-21-2003, 03:28 PM
Nice job on the lighted stylet one!
Some G2 going on there, or just LW translucency?

Zarathustra
08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
G2, yes. Translucency is a cheat. I made a map after trying to do it for real with the internals and it didn't work.

The modeling took several weeks. First I made the individual parts (cartilage, muscles, etc) then draped the skin over everything so you'd see it the way it would look if you could look down someone's throat.

It's for a training video for EMTs.

Rory_L
08-21-2003, 11:48 PM
The tweaks you might want to make would be to smooth out the tube kinks and to adjust the translucency map timing, which seems to have the fibre optic light travelling down the throat before it really does.

R

richpr
08-22-2003, 01:35 AM
Where's the sound? ;)

facial deluxe
08-22-2003, 04:30 AM
That's damn impressive Zarathustra !

It seems you used the path bones trick a lot ;)
Next time, for such work, you might want to try the Shift curve control plug, will save you time :)

The lighting throat thing works superb !

Nice modeling, nice sequences, congrats !!

Zarathustra
08-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Sounds: would probably be gross. Actually, they only do these if someone's unconscious (except for maybe the nasal one) so no "argh!"s or screams of terror.

Translucency: The map isn't 'timed'. It's just there and when the light is behind that section, then it shines through.

Facial Deluxe: Alright, animatin' is my weakest link. PLEASE explain the "shift curve control plug" and/or shoot me a link. Last year I had to do some stuff like this and I was literally moving each bone, frame by frame then I got the link for the path bones trick (http://www.md-arts.com/). If you've got a better way, by all means tell me.

The kinks in the tube bother me, too. The path bones thing is a big time saver but leaves little flexibility. I could have had more bones, I guess.

Thanks for the crits and thanks for the nice comments, Facial. You guys can be more critical with me. You know I'm a hard a s s to everyone else. :)

wacom
08-22-2003, 09:00 AM
People try to post frightful things here...but some how this gives me the creeps more than anything I've seen so far. That said...

These look great, but I did notice one very small thing (and it could be DivX or something)- when the throat is pointed and then the fingers move to what I think is the larynx- there seems to be a small key frame zoom jump. If this is to cause a focus on that event then it works fine, but...

I watched them all and I must say it's nice to see some of your great work. BTW do you like using G2?

Bog
08-23-2003, 11:42 AM
All darned good work, but my personal favourite's "Digital intubation". The little wiggle as the doc gets his fingers seated right just Really Does It for me.

It's the little touches, you know?

That said, I don't think I can ever watch ER again ;)

facial deluxe
08-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Zara, You can find Shift Spline Transform here :
http://www.shift.gr.jp/html/staff/plugin.html

It's an awesome plug that allows you to deform object along spline, giving you controll other growing (scale) and translating !

Spline is defined by Nulls Position/rotation/scale (accessible trough Graph editor, or wherever in LW, they are just Nulls) , almost as flexible as bezier :)

This is typicaly the kind of pluggin that you and me have awaited for a loooong time.
My actual project relies exclusively on it, and I can tell you it's a zero mystake plugs :)

Have fun,

Facial

Zarathustra
08-23-2003, 04:13 PM
uh.....is it intel only?

riki
08-23-2003, 07:27 PM
mmm great work. There's also the process of sticking a tube down your nose which I understand is very unpleasant. Things we can all look forward to in the future :)

facial deluxe
08-24-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
uh.....is it intel only?

Aaaargh....... Seems so....

Zarathustra
08-24-2003, 11:41 AM
well, that's typical.