PDA

View Full Version : have a problem with fx-surfaces (live set generator)

mishaTA
06-02-2009, 01:09 AM
having a good time

I've been trying to design a virtual studio in lightwave 9.3.1. And have a problem with fx-surfaces (live set generator). My problem in following: if i use two fx-surfaces, which are different by sizes, after rendering the scene, video get wrong slope. But if surface is alone - there's all right with it. Can't understand this. Please help, who can.

my respects

joseburgos
06-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Please explain some more as I lose you on "slope" and "but if surface alone".
Surface alone means, one at a time and not both in the same scene?

Just in case, if you have both fx surfaces named the same, they will both get the exact same surface shader. This is not what you want if they are sized different. Give them two different names and size the surface accordingly for each one and then render.

Take care,

joseburgos
06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Also, try to incorporate a test image to map to your surfaces while modeling and setting up your scene in LW. This will help you spot simple surface issues since the liveset surface shader is a planer projection shader, using an image with planar projection will give you a WYSIWYG scene.
I like to add the image as a layer with the liveset shader as another layer. This way I only need to turn one layer on and the other off depending on when I render.
You can make your own preset as well to incorporate this image as a layer to use in your work flow.

mishaTA
06-03-2009, 04:19 AM
slope means video 4x3 doesn't fit fx-surface 4x3 after rendering the scene. Video get bended and stretched long the side.

about surface alone that's right

What about renaming the surfaces, i load fx-surfaces from Liveset tutorial content folder and layout surface editor shows one surface shader for fx-surface object. If i do load this surface twice, shader for these surfaces is the same. And do renaming one of the surfaces in LW layout I can't.

But don't you mean that it's not obligatory to load these surfaces from Liveset tutorial content folder? And I can apply to anyone surface live set material. I'm going to try it. Thanks

joseburgos
06-03-2009, 06:59 AM
There is no surface files to load from the LiveSet tutorial folder. Only scenes, images and objects.
Is this the first time you use LW? If so, you should take some time to learn the basics of LW including surfacing. The equivalent surface to the LiveSet shader is planar image mapping.
LiveSet surface shader is assigned to the color and when needed, the transparency portion of a objects surface. The LiveSet plug-in installer also installed some LiveSet presets to use on surfaces but they are a starting point and still need to be sized and orientated correctly to match the objects geometry.

Have you read the LiveSet quick start guide? It explains how to apply the LiveSet shader to surfaces as well as how to use the presets.

Take care,