PDA

View Full Version : light gobos / projection images with soft shadow lights

JeffrySG
06-01-2009, 01:18 PM
What do people here use for their gobo effects. I know that there is the option in LW for a projection image, but what if you want to have soft shadows as well? Is the only other option to use an actual object or texture map that you shine the light through?

Is there any way to use a projection image with a dome light, for example?

Thanks! :)

JeffrySG
06-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I just made an array of spot lights all focusing on a null and it's doing pretty much what I wanted but it would be nice to have another way to do this without having a bunch of lights in the scene.

toby
06-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Have you installed the DP lights? Tons of options there. DP Dome allows you to use the backdrop image as the color, and DP custom takes nodes.

JeffrySG
06-01-2009, 09:17 PM
Have you installed the DP lights? Tons of options there. DP Dome allows you to use the backdrop image as the color, and DP custom takes nodes.

I do have them installed but do not really ever use them. I'll have to look into the node options on them. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

RollerJesus
06-02-2009, 07:32 AM
Have you tried parenting the light to a null and applying some jitter to that null? ...sort of like the spinning light trick.

I actually haven't done it but it's the first thing I thought of. :)

JeffrySG
06-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Have you tried parenting the light to a null and applying some jitter to that null? ...sort of like the spinning light trick.

I actually haven't done it but it's the first thing I thought of. :)

Yeah, I did think of that but I've never actually used the spinning light trick to be honest. And targeting the array of lights to a null is kind of the same thing but without the motion blur. That did the trick. I just hate when we have to use workarounds for something that should be simple.

joelaff
06-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Blur you projector map. You are talking about using textures setup as projections in the light, no? Just blur that map it your compositor ahead of time.

toby
06-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Blur you projector map. You are talking about using textures setup as projections in the light, no? Just blur that map it your compositor ahead of time.
I think he wants the shadows soft, not the projection

joelaff
06-03-2009, 03:10 PM

Well, then use the softness setting with a shadow mapped spot...

Or put a texture-mapped (double sided) polygon in front an area light with a snoot on it (build a cylinder out in front of the area light, and a box to block the rest of it from leaking).

Of course the shadow mapped option will render much faster...

joelaff
06-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Another option would be to render the scene with and without your dome light (or whatever) on. Then render out a pass lit with just the shadow mapped projection spot light. Then use this as a matte in the post to blend the two renders together.

toby
06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Or use a transparent poly with the texture and color filter at 100%, yea there's lots of ways -

JeffrySG
06-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Yep. Exactly. The array of spots worked pretty well. I tried a transparent poly as well but it didn't work as well as the array of spots.