PDA

View Full Version : New Website Design

Carm3D
05-31-2009, 04:12 AM
Hiya,

I've just designed the framework for my new HTML website. Enjoy! :)

Carm3D
05-31-2009, 08:25 AM
Here (http://www.carm3d.net/index2009.htm) is a test page with all of the elements chopped up and assembled into a web page. You can see how the elements stretch dynamically with your browser. It doesn't look so hot in internet explorer. It's perfect in Mozilla. Well perfect except for one thing... My external style sheet isn't loading.. Which would make the page background black and remove the border padding of the page. Any html experts out there see why it's not working?

BlueApple
05-31-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm no expert with html, but your page returns 7 errors and 4 warnings if you try to validate it.

http://validator.w3.org/

At a glance I didn't spot a difference between Safari and Firefox on the Mac. If you post in the Dreamweaver forum you'll likely get a useful response. I've found those folks to be very helpful.

The sloth and flowers look great. Nice work.

Carm3D
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks Blue. Interesting utility there.. I read the list of errors and such for my page and determined that these guys are being ridiculously picky. I fixed a few of them but I'm not gonna bother for them all. I mean... It faulted me for not putting an XML thingie in the header. But I'm not using XML on my page! I added the missing doctype tag and it responded with an increased number of errors. Sheesh.

It works on IE, Firefox, Opera.. Google Chrome... Safari.. that's good enough for me.

BTW I've solved the problem I was talking about earlier. Now I'm designing the menu system.

BlueApple
05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Awesome, keep us posted.

Adobe's page returns way more errors than yours, and they actually make web design software so I think you're probably ok. The validator is a nice place to stop by as it usually points out big problems in addition to the "small" ones.

Carm3D
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Well that stands to reason. Adobe invented bloatware, right? :)

Tippsy
06-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Dang i love the look of the new border!! what are you using to make it look like that?

Carm3D
06-01-2009, 02:06 AM
Dang i love the look of the new border!!

Thanks Tippsy!

what are you using to make it look like that?

Umm. Lightwave? How do you mean?

Carm3D
06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Got the menu system installed (link (http://www.carm3d.net/Home.htm)). Now all I have to do is fill the pages with content. How hard can that be!

Tippsy
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Ha! sorry i wasn't specific I meant like what web engine are you using or are you writing all the script yourself? Sorry bout that. Really looking good

Carm3D
06-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks Tippsy,

I wrote the html code by hand. No "engines" involved other than the set of JavaScript functions I am writing for it.

DrStrik9
06-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Well that stands to reason. Adobe invented bloatware, right? :)

I thought it was Microsoft that did that. :-)

Carm3D
06-02-2009, 02:29 PM

No... Microsoft stole it and perfected it with Vista. -oooh! Ouch!

My new website has come a long way. Almost everything but the galleries are active now.

art
06-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Yeah, but adobe made lots of improvements ;)

Btw. I try to use validator for all sites I work on. Unless the website is very complex and/or "really needs" non-conforming code, it is usually best to adhere to the specs. It helps with browser compatibility etc.
I was annoyed that I had to replace apparently not supported _target="blank" in my links with javascript to validate, but in reality it would probably work fine on 99.9% of computers anyway.

Carm3D
06-04-2009, 05:49 PM
As of now my site is pretty much complete. At least as complete as it's going to get for a while. I recently changed the menu to be randomly chosen. Right now it's just picking random viewing angles. But in the future when I get a wild hair I might create new menu gizmos and add them to the mix.

virtualcomposer
06-04-2009, 10:41 PM
As of now my site is pretty much complete. At least as complete as it's going to get for a while. I recently changed the menu to be randomly chosen. Right now it's just picking random viewing angles. But in the future when I get a wild hair I might create new menu gizmos and add them to the mix.

How do you get it to choose random menu's? I'm using Dreamweaver.

Carm3D
06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
JavaScript. :)

If you'd like, you can study the brains of my site here: http://www.carm3d.net/JS/Carm3D2009.JS

In addition to the random menu stuff, it's also constructing the gallery displays and drawing the graphics all around the frame.. So it's a multi-functional .JS file. The pages call the various JavaScript functions as needed.

virtualcomposer
06-04-2009, 11:46 PM
JavaScript. :)

If you'd like, you can study the brains of my site here: http://www.carm3d.net/JS/Carm3D2009.JS

In addition to the random menu stuff, it's also constructing the gallery displays and drawing the graphics all around the frame.. So it's a multi-functional .JS file. The pages call the various JavaScript functions as needed.

Wow that's pretty impressive. And you typed this code out???

Carm3D
06-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Wow that's pretty impressive. And you typed this code out???

Not all at once.. Lots of debugging along the way. :)

Carm3D
06-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I converted the logo banner image on my home page to a flash sideshow.

So far it's just two images.

Sekhar
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Interesting site with lots of visuals, not the kind you see everyday. Not sure about the randomly changing top menu though - feels like we're getting a different menu (like a sub-menu of what we clicked).

Carm3D
06-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks Sekhar. :)

Carm3D
06-19-2009, 11:06 AM
I've added another imaage to the slideshow on my home page (http://www.carm3d.net/Home.htm). And the image only took 9 hours to render!