PDA

View Full Version : add video as background in livetext and text editor

luis.ayuso
05-29-2009, 08:28 PM
i want to be able to make motion cg easier by making something in say after effects and then import it as a background in the text editors. so i add the video as a background element, and then fade the text over it.

luis.ayuso
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
*BUMP

i would like to make REAL motion backgrounds in after affects, without having to key something. you can even take away one of my ddr's if you have to.. i don't care. or make them unusable during this.

Quiet1onTheSet
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
i want to be able to make motion cg easier by making something in say after effects and then import it as a background in the text editors. so i add the video as a background element, and then fade the text over it.

Hmmmm. So, Luis, when you say "text editors", you're speaking of both, the Text Template area, within LIVE Production, and also, the post-production module, that's called EDIT TEXT?

luis.ayuso
06-05-2009, 06:37 PM
What im saying is i want the edit text module in the tricaster and livetext the standalone software to be able to put a video in their cg compositions, so that i can make a real snazzy looking motion lower third in after affects and then just use it as a background for my text templates. so essentially its just in the layers when you edit the page but its moved to the back.

of course for livetext to do this, it would have to be backed by a gigabit lan line so that it can handle the motion.

SBowie
06-05-2009, 08:03 PM
It's not a new request, but it's not a simple one either. I understand that it would be convenient to be able to edit titles on the fly, while leaving the animated bg in place - and in fact you can do that in XD300 by putting the DDR in one of the Overlay channels and Titles in the other ... but for now at least, in TC, you'd have to pre-render each title on a looping lower third, then stack 'em up in the DDR (keep in mind than not all models support alpha from the DDR in Overlay).

luis.ayuso
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
yeah. but this would really make it worth while to create bette content easier. MUCH EASIER. this way people can make complex animations, and aren't stuck to the overly dumbed down movements in livetext and the edit text area. this is all because the motion tricaster currently provides... is very much under par and is really only good for scrolls and such.

SBowie
06-10-2009, 05:42 AM
Just to mention it, you can create much more elaborate motions in Edit Media, render those as files, and put them in a DDR.

joseburgos
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
If you make a folder shared on the TriCaster and then map it onto the external "graphics" computer, using AE, you can make any kind of animated anything with an alpha channel. Just choose the mapped drive as the save folder and then make sure you render a RGB w/Alpha composite out. I would use the NewTek codec pack to save out of AE using one of the SpeedHQ w/Alpha. Uncompressed works but may stutter in play back depending on what is being played.
In TriCaster, add the new render into DDR. Now enable it on the Overlay.
Now you can fade it on and off or if you start your animation blank, you can build the fade in into the animation. This way you could take the overlay of DDR and then press k on the keyboard to start the animation.

This should give you what your looking for with the rendering speed of your external computer an how fast it renders via AE, your only weak link.

Test SpeedHQ with Alpha on different programs before using. AE, SpeedEdit, Premiere, Particle Illusion, so far all work but Fusion does not like this codec.

SBowie
06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Just to mention it, not all models of TC support alpha in the DDR. (The higher models all do ... it might be just TC100 that doesn't, not sure w/o looking it up.)

joseburgos
06-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I also want to mention that SpeedEdit renders very fast to SpeedHQ w/Alpha. Faster than the other codec's.
No way the same thing as AE but just a FYI.

luis.ayuso
06-13-2009, 03:58 PM
thats besides the point, this would allow you to make these more.. on the fly where as if i rendered them all out i would have to re render one with the correct title. and by then the person is off the stage. this would increase the "on the fly" text editing with a nice, professional looking lower-third.

joseburgos
06-13-2009, 05:37 PM
thats besides the point, this would allow you to make these more.. on the fly where as if i rendered them all out i would have to re render one with the correct title. and by then the person is off the stage. this would increase the "on the fly" text editing with a nice, professional looking lower-third.

I would love a real time animated titler with overlay from NewTek. I really hope they make one.

If you want something now that is real time, try Bluff Titler. You would need to use LiveMatte and a green background in your Bluff Title but it is real time and very easy to use and learn.
You would need an external computer and map the TriCaster's folder to it (after you enable share on it). Using LiveMatte would limit the transparency level. It also renders very fast and can use the SpeedHQ codec.
They have a free trial download so it's worth looking at. The cool part is the display window is separate from the title setup window. This allows you to use a dual monitor and keep the display window on the 2nd monitor.
It's only $49.95 if you want to purchase.
I mention it because only because I have been thinking of using it as a real time titler. You can just create a lower third and press play to display it in real time and then just type in the text field over the original text and play it out. The only thing it does not have is the ability for a stand-by type layer so that the title being display stays on screen and then you have it animate to the new layer. But Text Edit and Title Templates don't give you that ability so it is not so bad.
Downside is you need to LiveMatte to get a transparent area and this means no graded transparency in real time because the LiveMatte keyer will not work at that level. A render to the maped folder on the TriCaster would have it ready fairly quickly with a true alpha channel.

Anyway, sorry to ramble it's just that I have been experimenting on finding a good work flow with a real time animated titler as well and this Bluff Titler may be the answer for right now.

Take care,