PDA

View Full Version : LW Quicktime movie in After Effects

jmkupka
05-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I rendered a Quicktime movie of a photograph bkgd, an animated model in front of that, then a clip/ alpha of the bkgd in front (for the model to pass behind).
Quicktime movie plays fine, but when brought into AE as footage, only the clipped foreground shows up, no model or bkgd.
Is there a "flatten" option that should be applied at render time? I was surprised to find that the movie could be separated away from itself like that.

Stunt Pixels
05-28-2009, 07:40 PM
You can tell AE to ignore the alpha of an image sequence/movie. Right click the footage in your footage, go to Interpret footage>Main, and select the alpha option there.

Hope that helps

Silkrooster
05-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I rendered a Quicktime movie of a photograph bkgd, an animated model in front of that, then a clip/ alpha of the bkgd in front (for the model to pass behind).
Quicktime movie plays fine, but when brought into AE as footage, only the clipped foreground shows up, no model or bkgd.
Is there a "flatten" option that should be applied at render time? I was surprised to find that the movie could be separated away from itself like that.

The codec you choose will determine if the alpha is included. Or I should say the number of colors. When you select millions of colors+ the + means alpha.
But like Stunt Pixels mentions you can specify how the alpha is managed in AE.

biliousfrog
06-03-2009, 04:55 AM
As a side note, if you're using After Effects do all the compositing in that rather than Lightwave and render passes from Lightwave as image sequences (tif, tga, png, exr etc.) rather than quicktimes or avi's...it will prevent compression artifacts from the source and also allow you to restart the render from the last frame if you get a crash.

Lightwave is primarily a 3d application and After Effects is primarily a compositor, use each for their strengths