PDA

View Full Version : what workstation card to use?

Xcape
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm beginning to like using Lightwave 9.6 but I'd like to ask for advices on what hardware fit for entry level.

I have a dual 2 quad 6600 using asus p5k m/b with 8gb 800 ram. I'm more wanting to know what is a decent workstation graphic card to buy? Do I need to change my m/b, ram, or even cpu? Oh I'm using xp 64-bit.

Please advice..

Thank you

Xcape

Dexter2999
05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I think in the past Nvidia cards have shown to have better performance. Not sure about now.

Also, I have Quadro card on one machine at work and good gaming card on another that cost about a third of the Quadro...and I can't tell the difference at the level of work I do. It might make difference to more advanced users who are pushing the limits of LW with super hi-res surfaces and mega polycounts, but I am just as happy with an 8800GTX as I would be with a Quadro1700.

Hope this helps.

Xcape
05-28-2009, 05:22 PM
I was looking at the two you suggested and I'd like the quadro1700 better. However since I'm on a budget what do you think of PNY Nvidia Quadro FX 580. Since this falls in my price range.

Thanks,
Xcape

Dexter2999
05-28-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm no expert. Looks like a good card. I have leaned toward more RAM on my video card to keep things smooth. GPU hasn't really been a consideration.

CC Rider
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I think in the past Nvidia cards have shown to have better performance. Not sure about now.

Also, I have Quadro card on one machine at work and good gaming card on another that cost about a third of the Quadro...and I can't tell the difference at the level of work I do. It might make difference to more advanced users who are pushing the limits of LW with super hi-res surfaces and mega polycounts, but I am just as happy with an 8800GTX as I would be with a Quadro1700.

Hope this helps.

Exact same deal here for me...I use a Quaddro 4500 at work and 8800GTX at home and never think about performance issues with either one.
They both have 512 of memory. I'm sure my projects don't push the limits of either card but have had continuous good experience with NVidia.

Xcape
06-01-2009, 01:00 AM
I guess it sounds like I can just go with any 512MB card.

Thanks guys,
Xcape