PDA

View Full Version : How to grow a tree from a seed?

kopperdrake
05-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi guys,

A client's asked me to produce an animation, all continuous, of a seed growing into a fully fledged tree. My initial thoughts are LightWave with fertiliser and model the tree from scratch so fertiliser will do its thing properly. Not sure how to do the leaves with that process though.

My other thought is to use Vue, I believe you can grow trees in that?

I had also thought of XFrog, but apparently you'd need to export each stage out as an object and swap them in LightWave to render there...sounds a bit of a long shot to me!

This has to be very realistic...and and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

SplineGod
05-28-2009, 01:37 PM
LW can take a sequence of objects and swap them in on a per frame basis if you can export them from xfrog.

bloontz
05-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I don't know if it works with recent versions of lightwave and I haven't used it but there is a plugin for lightwave that used to ship with xfrog that allowed you to play Xfrog animations within lghtwave.

kopperdrake
05-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Cheers guys - I may have to track that plugin down and get myself XFrog to play with. Seems to be the way to go, even if it means swapping objects in, which is going to make for a huge object folder!