PDA

View Full Version : Render compressed TIFF files

Titus
08-21-2003, 09:02 AM
You know what? I'm finishing a project and just realied something obvious.

I usually render to TIFF files (it's my format of choice), it would be really nice to have the option to render compressed TIFF files, my hard disk and network will be happy with this. I know there are some legal issues abuot compression schemes, but maybe NewTek can find a solution.

LFGabel
10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
Bump.

Yeah. This is a drag. It would be super useful now that HD productions are more the norm now.

Are there any other formats other than TGA that have lossless compression? (Shake doesn't like TGA).

Lightwolf
10-14-2006, 03:04 AM
Are there any other formats other than TGA that have lossless compression? (Shake doesn't like TGA).
OpenEXR? *plug* *plug* *plug* ;)

...and it works wonderfully with Shake too. (Shake doesn't like TGA? Honestly? Wow, can't think of a simpler image file format to read...)

Other than that, PNG might be an option.

Cheers,
Mike

Pavlov
10-14-2006, 06:47 AM
yep anyway i agree... compressed TIFFs please, i have to spend time with XNview to convert huge sequences to compressed tiff for archives.
Again, also a compression rate in JPG would not be bad.... LW saves out a bad compressed JPG making this option useless.

Paolo

Panikos
10-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Rendering in an unreliable format is a dangerous story. Compression takes time and its risky. The same applies when rendering in AVI, or MOV.

You better render in a true broad capacity format and then, after the rendering is done, do whatever you like.

I agree with LightWorlf, OpenEXR provides everything.

FredyN
10-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I use PNG, but the uncompressed format are more faster in AfterEffect. You can convert it after rendering with ACDSee.

Pavlov
10-15-2006, 04:03 PM
yes, even if i use XNview for browsing/batching.
But i'd like to have the option.
While we are here, have you guys seen Google's picasa ? A FREE image browser/batchconverter and so on ? Looks very nice, give it a try..

Paolo

LFGabel
10-15-2006, 05:12 PM
All great info. Thanks everyone. I wonder if I can use EXR in Shake 2.5 for Windows (...ugh... I know. I'm stuck with it for the time being).

Lightwolf
10-15-2006, 05:18 PM
All great info. Thanks everyone. I wonder if I can use EXR in Shake 2.5 for Windows (...ugh... I know. I'm stuck with it for the time being).
Not as far as I know. There is source code for a shake 3.x loader at the OpenEXR site though: http://www.openexr.com/downloads.html

Yeah, I know, doesn't help much...

Cheers,
Mike