PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Tutorials Preview

RebelHill
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey All...

Just wanted to show off a quick preview of my rigging tutorial set thats coming soon... First off, one of the 2 rigs that I walk you through creating during the tuts, this one being done with nothing but plain, vanilla LW...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=g79coujRmZY

And second here's a couple sample tutorial snippets... the first one is from earlier on in the set, is slower, and more talky as its explaining basics, concepts and workflows...

www.rebelhill.net/lwtut/bone_create_orient.mov

And the second is from further into the actual character rigging itself (this section deals with limb repinning and stratchy IK switching)... much faster paced, and just click, click, click, making use of everything that's been explored and explained in earlier vids...

www.rebelhill.net/lwtut/rig_pt4.mov

So check em out... and lemme know what you think, any comments, or feedback as I finalise out this series is much appreciated.

Larry_g1s
05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Very cool RebelHill. It looks like it's coming along quite nicely.

OnlineRender
05-27-2009, 12:02 PM
nice keep up the hard work ! remember people will be watching :)

Stunt Pixels
05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Hey RebelHill, looks great so far. My main comment would be, ummm, my brain has already melted. That first rig you show (the youtube one), made me think that learning rigging via this would be kind of like trying to initially learn to paint by studying Caravagio...

For someone with bugger all rigging experience (like me), that's one hell of a rig to expose them to! Looking through your other vids, you are going through a building block approach and explaining things quite clearly. But my initial impression was one of "Oh crap! I'll never get this"... I think all the sliders scared me!

Are you planning on having a simple rig to start with - like, no stretchy, no repinning, no squash and stretch? Or are you rigging the character like that, and then adding the advanced features later?

Another question for you, are you going to set up a forum for this series? I imagine there will be a heap of questions, and it would be great to have a single place to look for previous answers rather than scouring through the Newtek forums.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. Great stuff!

Larry_g1s
05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey RebelHill, looks great so far. My main comment would be, ummm, my brain has already melted. That first rig you show (the youtube one), made me think that learning rigging via this would be kind of like trying to initially learn to paint by studying Caravagio...

For someone with bugger all rigging experience (like me), that's one hell of a rig to expose them to! Looking through your other vids, you are going through a building block approach and explaining things quite clearly. But my initial impression was one of "Oh crap! I'll never get this"... I think all the sliders scared me!

Are you planning on having a simple rig to start with - like, no stretchy, no repinning, no squash and stretch? Or are you rigging the character like that, and then adding the advanced features later?

Another question for you, are you going to set up a forum for this series? I imagine there will be a heap of questions, and it would be great to have a single place to look for previous answers rather than scouring through the Newtek forums.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. Great stuff!I think this is a legitimate question Stunt Pixels, but keep in mind, he said these were just snippets. Imagine watching a clip 3/4 in to a movie, you'd not know who the charters where, why they were there, etc.

But maybe RH can clear it up.

RebelHill
05-27-2009, 06:10 PM

In reverse order...

I would probs put up a forum, yes, so as folks could ask questions, and search out the answers... like an ongoign faq...

As for how its structured and being able to "get it"...

Starts out a basic as... heres a null... here's one more null parented to it... lets look at all the different stuff it can do... heres one bone, lets see what it can do... etc, etc...

The point of this all along has been to try and teach folks HOW to rig... as berst i can rather than just copy one specific walkthrough, it shows u how to pick out what u got available, how it all works, then goes on to use those basics to construct simple realtion based systems, limbs, then adds stuff on, then adds more, then more, then more

and so on...

Larry_g1s
05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
What's your projected time frame to release? (approximate obviously)

j0SH
05-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Looking good. Seems pretty stable

geo_n
05-27-2009, 09:30 PM
since i saw your rigging video way back I was more impressed with lw capabalities and what a top td can do with it. Will definitely watch out for this.

Tranimatronic
05-27-2009, 09:34 PM
what is the codec ? QT cant play them on mine......
Im REALLY interested in these tutorials. Cant wait.

Stunt Pixels
05-27-2009, 09:41 PM
As for how its structured and being able to "get it"...

Starts out a basic as... heres a null... here's one more null parented to it... lets look at all the different stuff it can do... heres one bone, lets see what it can do... etc, etc...

The point of this all along has been to try and teach folks HOW to rig... as berst i can rather than just copy one specific walkthrough, it shows u how to pick out what u got available, how it all works, then goes on to use those basics to construct simple realtion based systems, limbs, then adds stuff on, then adds more, then more, then more

and so on...
Excellent! I assumed that from the vids you provided, that's why I mentioned the other vids showed more of a "building block" approach. But great to get in confirmed anyway.

It was more of a point about marketing (badly expressed maybe). I was a bit spun out when I watched the first vid you linked to, it made by brain do sommersaults! I can imagine a few people would freak if that was the first vid they saw - thinking the videos were going to be too complicated. Actually, even a little intro audio to the vid reinforcing that what we're looking at is an end result, and that the tutes start very simply, would probably be sufficient for marketing. I just don't want to see you miss out on people buying into this because they think it's going to be too complicated!

Cheers

Stunt Pixels
05-27-2009, 09:45 PM
what is the codec ? QT cant play them on mine......

H.264 - should be fine with the latest player? Plays fine here.

Im REALLY interested in these tutorials. Cant wait.
Steady steady, one line please... Behind me! :)

hrgiger
05-27-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey RH, are you charging for these tutorials? Sorry if that has been addressed somewhere in another thread.

Also, will the videos be larger when your finished? It's hard to make out some of the details in the video.

I'm very much looking forward to your tutorials. I've done some character animation with Lightwave but I would call my overall knowledge of rigging pretty standard (basic if you will) and have not kept up with the recent improvements in the 9.6 version. I hope to see you continue with this training with CORE and any changes it will bring to Lightwave character animation.

Fadlabi
05-27-2009, 11:17 PM
very great

Wolvy_UK
05-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Will you be showing how to get good deformations on shoulder joints or types of corrective morphs ?

Do you use Joint Morph Plus plugin at all, or do you use joints and bones to get good deformations instead ?

Tips on adding things like muscle bones for muscle bulging ?

RebelHill
05-28-2009, 07:42 AM
HR- Sadly yes I shall be chargin for them... their creations run a good month or more, i need to try try an recoup at lleast some for them. As for how much, dont know, currently looking at a couple options for distribution atm. I do however aim to keep em cheap as I can... Maybe some ideas from you all on what might seem fair...

As for quality, yup, those are just small scale previews for bandwidths sake... finals will be like this...

www.rebelhill.net/lwtut/rig_pt3clip.mov

SP- Dont be worrying, they start in slow then speed up and up... theres only a handful of tools used throughout the whole thing, its just repeat, repeat, repeat past a point... All the early stuff deals witht he fundamental underlying stuff thats going on, the workings of IK, etc.... then it goes into setting up and modifying different control sytems in isolation piece by piece.... then takes off to use these pieces over and over again, just in different ways, and as such starts skipping over the whole "now click this, now that, now open this panel" wihch we've done loads before, and shifts up. Basically... ur starting out using a few nulls, it of IK to create a control system, and learning how to realte the single items to each other in basic ways... once we've been through that a few times over, we switch to looking at these completed control systems, and start looking at techniques for bolting those together, and relating them to one another, etc.

Most of all atm Im not really trailing htis stuff out just yet.... but any feedback on pace, informativeness etc would be great

RebelHill
05-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Will you be showing how to get good deformations on shoulder joints or types of corrective morphs ?

Do you use Joint Morph Plus plugin at all, or do you use joints and bones to get good deformations instead ?

Tips on adding things like muscle bones for muscle bulging ?

Full sections on deformation, yups... both for simple quick cartoon skinning, and also for human characters.

MooseDog
05-28-2009, 08:00 AM
looks really! well done. fair enough you use bones, but are there any references to the new(ish) joint system?

w/o sounding maudlin, you've managed to make a very dry technical subject interesting and fun to learn. where do i buy?

(oops, you slipped under my post. audio presentation sounds solid, visuals are good. n.p.)

RebelHill
05-28-2009, 09:55 AM
but are there any references to the new(ish) joint system?

Yups... zbones, jointbones, morfs.... everything basically.

Fadlabi
05-28-2009, 10:17 AM
HR- Sadly yes I shall be chargin for them...

RebelHill I hope that you make more option for buy online, for me I prefer credit card, and PayPal it's nightmare becuase there's political issue with Sudan.

geothefaust
05-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Nice RH!! Looking so great. I can't wait to see everything you've done in all it's glory. Top shelf sir. :thumbsup: Keep 'er up!!

geothefaust
05-28-2009, 11:03 AM
RH, do you have a time frame for your release yet?

Larry_g1s
05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
HR- Sadly yes I shall be chargin for them... their creations run a good month or more, i need to try try an recoup at lleast some for them. As for how much, dont know, currently looking at a couple options for distribution atm. I do however aim to keep em cheap as I can... Maybe some ideas from you all on what might seem fair...I wouldn't apologize for charging. You deserve to get paid for your work. ;) And the customer should get what they pay for.

As far as price, it all depends on what's included (how robust the training is). I would say between the $50-$70 USD price, is a decent price point (again, depending on what's included).

again...What's your projected time frame to release? (approximate obviously)

geothefaust
05-28-2009, 11:30 AM
I'll reiterate what I said last time;

I think depending on length and content of each DVD, for instance a boning/rigging basics you could go a little lower. Maybe something like $50. For more advanced stuff like your stretchy IK, space switching, and other stuff, you could go much higher, somewhere like $75 or more per DVD.

But then there is also the "lowest common denominator" scenario. You could go a bit lower with your prices and attempt to pull in more customers with that lower price, and in turn the possibility of making more money with less sales at a higher price.

So it depends really on what you want to do there.

EDIT: PS- What you're selling is gold my friend, pure untainted gold. Anyone that buys what you're selling right here, is only going to come out ahead. Keep that in mind. :)

hrgiger
05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
HR- Sadly yes I shall be chargin for them... their creations run a good month or more, i need to try try an recoup at lleast some for them. As for how much, dont know, currently looking at a couple options for distribution atm. I do however aim to keep em cheap as I can... Maybe some ideas from you all on what might seem fair...

Nothing to be sad about. Good rigging knowledge should come at a cost but hopefully reasonable so that as many people can take advantage of them.

As far as distribution, I'm fine with a good old fashioned download. I definately am not a fan of interfaces linking to the videos that may open in a brower or other type of viewer. I just like having the videos in a folder in numerical order that will open in a standard video player like QT or VLC.

As far as price goes, I'd like to see a breakdown of the series but I don't know- $50-$75?

Larry_g1s
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
As far as distribution, I'm fine with a good old fashioned download. I definately am not a fan of interfaces linking to the videos that may open in a brower or other type of viewer. I just like having the videos in a folder in numerical order that will open in a standard video player like QT or VLC.Same here. :thumbsup:

RebelHill
05-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Delivery should be within the next few weeks one way or another... cant leave it lagging too long, wanna get it out there... Also, was planning QT, h264, 1280X720 mailed out on disc... with a possibility of a low qual download version for folks who're desperate while the discs in transit...

As for price, I was thinking somewhere in the $80-100 mark, which is pretty much around or jsut above what most rigging tut sets are going for... except mines gonna go further.. the idea being to deliver more overall...

So heres the breakdown...

1 Intro rigging concepts and fundamentals, animation concepts and fundamentals, approaches to designing complex rigs (or how to be a blind watchmaker).

2 LW basics, for the true noobs, or anyone who just wants to be sure...

3 LW space... co-ordinates, rotation orders, gimbal issues, hierarchical inheritence, parent adn world space explained.

4 Zbones Vs Joints... how they work and differ in creation, manipulation, and deformation

5 Mesh deforms.. tricks and exploration on the optimising of meshes for deformation, topology, etc...

6 Control, constraint, and expressions... Eploration adn explanation of the main "lookups" used throughout the rigging process, ways of referencing things, adn using one thing to drive others, and the subsequent combination of these methods.

7 LWIK/PLGIK basics... the basics of applying the ik system, giving a goal, and making something move...

8 Bone creation adn orientation... A look at how we start creating and setting the initial orientation of bones in order to get them in best position considering all we've learned so far about how co-ords ate treated, how things can relate to one another, and how we plan to deform our meshes, etc...

9 LWIK full... everything concerning the use of LWIK in standard limb systems, all the details of the inner workings, whats good, whats not... over 3 hours of this...

10 PLGIK full... everything about setting up and whats available in PLGIK

11 Multigoal IK... tails, trunks, tentacles, spines, whips... Different appraoches using LW and PLG IK, as well as approaches using constraints...

12 Skelegon creation... The full skeleton created for a whole character using the skelegon approach

13 Skeleton fitting/remapping... Taking the skelegons into bones, parenting the hierarchies, adn setting rest rotations... then onto taking such a premade, ready to rig skeleton and remapping it to fit a new character, saving u ever doing step 12 again. (or at all, u need never create a single skelegon for your character rigs... u can just use the layout setup skeletons provided and remap them to ur own meshes).

14 Rigging.... Several sections on the rigging of the two characters... on with LWIK, the other with PLGIK... many similar controls, many different appraoches, each with strengths and weaknesses shown... Arms legs, spines, head, hands and fingers... all with IK/FK switching, switchable stretchy IK, limb repinning, full space switching for limbs, autosnap (automatch) features, poles/switchable/space switchable poles... multi space head, full reverse IK, etc, etc... basically takes all the lil things we've seen how to do and does them one by one, layer upon layer to build up the character rigs...

15 Deformations... Simple smooth deforms for cartoon character, and more detailed controlled deforms for human character... different approaches with joint bones, zbones, morfs, cyclist, etc.

16 More... any additional crap I get round to laying on lil links between things for a lil refinement after its all done

17 Face rigging... morf creation for facial rigging... control ssytem creation and expressions, secondary controllers via joints

There may be other additional bits as well... once Ive got it all together I may do one or 2 lil addenda... we'll see.

But there u have it basically.

RebelHill
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh yeah... it'll also come with a whole load of assets... and instructions on how to remap them into new meshes... Its not exactly an auto rigger... but once u understand how the rigs work and are built, where all the lil nulls need to go, and what they mean... you wont need to go through all the rigmaroll of actually rigging most of it, you'll be able to load the premade rigs, or bits of them, onto your own meshes... reposition the joints/nulls as needed, adn rerest the deform rigs...

geothefaust
05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Delivery should be within the next few weeks one way or another... cant leave it lagging too long, wanna get it out there... Also, was planning QT, h264, 1280X720 mailed out on disc... with a possibility of a low qual download version for folks who're desperate while the discs in transit...

As for price, I was thinking somewhere in the $80-100 mark, which is pretty much around or jsut above what most rigging tut sets are going for... except mines gonna go further.. the idea being to deliver more overall...

1 Intro rigging concepts and fundamentals, animation concepts and fundamentals, approaches to designing complex rigs (or how to be a blind watchmaker).

3 LW space... co-ordinates, rotation orders, gimbal issues, hierarchical inheritence, parent adn world space explained.

4 Zbones Vs Joints... how they work and differ in creation, manipulation, and deformation

5 Mesh deforms.. tricks and exploration on the optimising of meshes for deformation, topology, etc...

6 Control, constraint, and expressions... Eploration adn explanation of the main "lookups" used throughout the rigging process, ways of referencing things, adn using one thing to drive others, and the subsequent combination of these methods.

7 LWIK/PLGIK basics... the basics of applying the ik system, giving a goal, and making something move...

8 Bone creation adn orientation... A look at how we start creating and setting the initial orientation of bones in order to get them in best position considering all we've learned so far about how co-ords ate treated, how things can relate to one another, and how we plan to deform our meshes, etc...

9 LWIK full... everything concerning the use of LWIK in standard limb systems, all the details of the inner workings, whats good, whats not... over 3 hours of this...

11 Multigoal IK... tails, trunks, tentacles, spines, whips... Different appraoches using LW and PLG IK, as well as approaches using constraints...

12 Skelegon creation... The full skeleton created for a whole character using the skelegon approach

13 Skeleton fitting/remapping... Taking the skelegons into bones, parenting the hierarchies, adn setting rest rotations... then onto taking such a premade, ready to rig skeleton and remapping it to fit a new character, saving u ever doing step 12 again. (or at all, u need never create a single skelegon for your character rigs... u can just use the layout setup skeletons provided and remap them to ur own meshes).

14 Rigging.... Several sections on the rigging of the two characters... on with LWIK, the other with PLGIK... many similar controls, many different appraoches, each with strengths and weaknesses shown... Arms legs, spines, head, hands and fingers... all with IK/FK switching, switchable stretchy IK, limb repinning, full space switching for limbs, autosnap (automatch) features, poles/switchable/space switchable poles... multi space head, full reverse IK, etc, etc... basically takes all the lil things we've seen how to do and does them one by one, layer upon layer to build up the character rigs...

15 Deformations... Simple smooth deforms for cartoon character, and more detailed controlled deforms for human character... different approaches with joint bones, zbones, morfs, cyclist, etc.

16 More... any additional crap I get round to laying on lil links between things for a lil refinement after its all done

17 Face rigging... morf creation for facial rigging... control ssytem creation and expressions, secondary controllers via joints

There may be other additional bits as well... once Ive got it all together I may do one or 2 lil addenda... we'll see.

Is there a smiley for this? I think it goes something like this since there is no single smiley for it... :eek: :bowdown: :heart:

$80-100 is more then fair, sounds good to me. You'll crush the competition. :)

Larry_g1s
05-28-2009, 03:32 PM

But there u have it basically.Well, like I said, ss far as price, it all depends on what's included. And by the looks of it $80-$100 might very well be worth it. ;)
It might alienate those not as serious or hobbiest, but for those that are very interested in making this type of skill set part of their work flow (even like me who's studying Character Animation, I want to know how to rig in order to animation my charaters) I think that's not too terrible bad.

Stunt Pixels
05-28-2009, 03:37 PM

Sounds absolutely awesome! :thumbsup:

My only thing would be... Any chance of high quality download option? For people who live on the other side of the world, and would be happy to download a few gigs? And yes, I am impatient :)

Larry_g1s
05-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Any chance of high quality download option? For people who live on the other side of the world, and would be happy to download a few gigs? And yes, I am impatient :)100% :agree:

CGI Addict
05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
RebelHill that $80 to $100 price point seems rather fair to me, you're going into quite a bit and judging by your samples, it's also rather well put together.

Thanks for putting these together. I've got to hand it to RH, Larry_g1s and others for taking the horse by the reins and producing these video tutorial sets that will surely help alot of us.

Keep us updated RH and thanks again.

Cageman
05-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Yep... I'm willing to pay $100 for this, a no-brainer for me.

Regarding payment, I can use PayPal, but I prefer using my creditcard directly.

An idea is to ask either TrueArt or LightWolf about how they set up their payment methods. They offer both PayPal and several creditcards.

EDIT: Oh... and of course, I also like downloadable content... no bs-interfaces and such things... .mov or .avi for the movies and a .rar or .zip for the LW-content!

:thumbsup:

geothefaust
05-28-2009, 07:13 PM
I suggest Plimus, I was recommended to them by Andrew Shpagin (3D-Coat owner), he also uses Plimus. I will be using it for my training series for 3D-Coat as well. Plimus seems to be pretty easy to use, plus they have no monthly fees, just a percentage of your sales (which is based off the product price).

Puguglybonehead
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Put me down for this one. :) I'll take the hardcopy option, though. I recently switched back to ultra-cheap dialup (trying to save $ for things like this)

kfinla
05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Great stuff, just wanted to say watching your reel (2009) there is lots of stuff I didn't even know was possible with LW. I'd personally prefer a download to a hard copy. I use www.lulu.com to host mine.

Also, to what extent is facial rigging covered? the god father on your reel looks great. I'd love to see some explanation of that rig. The way the eyes push around the flesh around them is great. Looks like u will cover some topics of it. Also i know PLG IK is available for PC and MAC, are there any limitations that a mac user could not follow along with? It sounds like you have keept things as out of the box as you can which is great.

RebelHill
06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Th facial rigging is covered completely adn thoroghly... everything thats in teh OF demo is shown and explained...

Also... PLG is available for mac PPC only, so UB folk will have to run LW in emulation to use it, which slows stuff down... you can however use proxy objects, etc. to keep ur PLG rigs as responsive as poss in this environment, and once done animating, bake the rotations of the bones, an bring that back to UB for your subdiv/light/surface, etc... Other than that the only thing in the whole seires thats either a partial or complete no no for mac users is the MGO plugin mentioned in the second of the two example tuts I posted.

Thanks again, btw, fellas... Im lookin forward to gettin these wrapped.

rdrdrd23
06-04-2009, 09:24 AM
$100 is pure value Craig- having worked with you, I can testify you know what you're doing!
Funny, whn you see good technical work, its amazing how quickly you realise you've fallen behind tehcnically, when you spend most of you day writing docs, wiping noses and sorting schedules.... <groan!>

Looking forward to seeing them mate!

hazmat777
06-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Looking forward to purchasing these. Friendly style and expert insight. :thumbsup:

geothefaust
06-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Hey Craig, how are things going with your vid?

probiner
06-06-2009, 02:15 PM
This is great RebelHill, thanks

I bet Juliet won't complain of Romeo later in the night, he's so flexible... of course :P

06-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Very cool! If Paypal is available I'll purchase it :thumbsup:

Verlon
06-08-2009, 02:58 PM
there a mailing list we can get on for when it is available?

Brian_7
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Sign me up for two copies!! :thumbsup:

Brian

Brian_7
06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
What time frame are we looking at? 1-2 months?

Brian

geothefaust
06-12-2009, 12:48 PM
One thing I've learned that when putting out a training DVD, it takes a lot longer then initial projections dictate, heh. I am having a similar issue.

Anyway, I hope you're able to get these out Craig. Many people are clamoring for your training. :)

GregMalick
06-12-2009, 01:14 PM
RebelHill,

Looking forward to your tutorials.
I hope you cover the "why" you set-up certain things in the rig.
I hate vids that just ask you to imitate steps 1, 2, 3...

Also, will you be willing to answer questions from customers regarding things in the rig that seem obscure or confusing.
I'm kinda expect it will be easy for you to gloss over parts you're so intimately familiar with. ...then again maybe you won't.

Brian_7 -- your avatar is now officially my favorite!

Brian_7
06-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi Greg,

I can't take credit for the image as I am REALLY a Padawan Learner of not just LW, but 3D in general. I'm a Flash programmer by profession. I just LOVE 3D and what you can do with it!

Brian

P.S. I'm hoping that Rebel's videos can help me on my way. :D Plus, I have a plan.....

http://www.Altobanor.com/web_images/1956.jpg

RebelHill
06-13-2009, 04:14 PM
well, we're gettin there... I only got a few things left to record, a few more to edit, bit of content stuff, and they're good.

Im still very much at an unsure stage bout distribution though, wether ill go it alone in some fashion, or via a publisher of some fashion... gettin them out sooner rather than laters gonna have to play a big art in the process though.

As for Q+A/support, Ill be setting up a forum style thing where folks can post Qs, get answers, or look at those of others, in the same ocation as the WIP board in my sig.

Back to it for me. Thanks all.

allabulle
06-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm waiting too. I only hope that the delivery won't increase too much the original price to some of us.

Stunt Pixels
06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
RebelHill is moving along really nicely with these vids. He's taking his time to do them cause he's doing them right, rather than quickly getting something out while the iron is hot. I've been lucky enough to see a number of them, and the whole set is going to be awesome!

He seems to have written a syllabus for rigging in Lightwave and is working through the whole shebang. It's very focused on rigging - apart from a brief look at poly flow in the modeling and some stuff on skinning - it pulls apart the rigging capabilities of LW and explains clearly how to get it to work well. I think the reason it's taking longer than he initially thought is that he's communicating things in a way that clearly defines the "why's" rather than just the "what's", and doing it concisely. I find it's always more effort to explain things clearly while staying concise, and he's clearly putting a heap of effort into doing just that.

One thing in particular that's cool about the set is that it's applicable to people who just need to rig and animate in LW. It's done in a way that a total newbie to LW could watch it and learn how to rig well in LW - so people who have moved over from another package and want to learn rigging will be able to do that easily.

Of course, nothing is perfect. This is not is a complete animation video tutorial. You won't learn story telling, animation fundamentals, character design, modeling, surfacing, staging, or lighting with this set. So don't expect to. RH has had to cut other stuff so that he communicates rigging concepts well. I'm sure he could go into the other stuff, but that means the vids would be much further off.

I've been using LW since v5, and one thing that has always been hard for me to get my head around is rigging. I've never had rigging explained so clearly, in a way that makes sense to me. I have total faith that once the set is finished the arcane science that is LW rigging will become a whole heap clearer! I've been waiting for this information for over a decade, I'm happy to wait a bit longer for him to finish it off properly, and keenly looking forward to it.

hrgiger
06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm very much looking forward to RH's tutorials. Take as much time as you need RH to make them tip top.

GraphXs
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Yes, take your time, your LW rigging is top notch! Lookin forward to it!

RebelHill
06-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Well the set is nearing completion as it happens... just gotta do the facials section, which requires lots of morph modeling, whic i HATE... but there u go.

I asked SP to "beta test" for me, as he's doing AM, so is well aware of the needs in animation control... and also gets to work with "proper" rigs and animation (maya, y'know), plus knows zip all about rigging (sorry pal, lol).

He's given me some great feedback on stuff, and exposed me to my own sloppy editing at times, lol... character rigging in LW, no probs... razor tool in premiere, I seem to have issues.

But yes, the whole thing really breaks down into 2 parts... part 1 on exploration/explanation of the concepts and tools, and part 2 which walks through the complete end to end character rigging.

So thanks SP for your evaluations thus far, and hopefully, all this stuff will be out and available pdq.

Brian_7
06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
No problem. When you're ready, I got the paypal! (or whatever)

AljenHoekstra
06-18-2009, 01:47 AM
Nice to hear it's coming along!
How about first releasing part 1, and a few weeks later part 2?
I have a big CA project coming up and I really don't want to start without these tutorials!
Looking forward to it!

geothefaust
06-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Great to hear. I am really looking forward to checking it out when you're all finished up. :thumbsup:

marchermitte
06-19-2009, 01:25 AM
Yeap, I'm in too!

nickdigital
06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Very impressive work.

Looking forward to adding this to our library.

G-Man
06-22-2009, 05:57 PM
IMHO Rebel, I would just distribute the Vids by yourself. I third party is just going to take money out of your pocket. You've already generated buzz on this forum and the Newtek newsletter. I would hit all the forums and let people like Flay and Spinquad etc. know it's released.

CGI Addict
06-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Agreed. I think you've (RH) done some great videos that'll pretty much sell themselves. If anything, you could start a blog or forum specifically for your videos.

geothefaust
06-23-2009, 12:13 AM
It's a tough choice to decide which route to go. A lot of people don't understand what is involved with distributing training for this kind of thing.

Personally, I think that publishing, packaging, shipping, customer service so on and so forth is a huge pain the in arse. Do you really want to deal with all of that, or have a third party help you out with it, or handle all of it?

If you go with digital distro, same thing... But now you have to up your bandwidth really high, especially for videos.

Another thing 3rd party publishers/distributors have that joe salesman will not, is an established customer base, with newsletters, SEO, people that collect their published works, and so on.

So, my point is that, it's a tough one to choose, but overall, the money you would spend is probably greater then the money made, if you self publish and distro, unless you can get a lot of coverage and marketing. The benefits of self publishing are far outweighed by the drawbacks. I did a LOT of research on this, and decided to go with a publisher. ;)

Larry_g1s
06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
I agree with geothefaust. I'm not saying a publisher is the way to go, but it isn't just about marketing and "third party is just going to take money out of your pocket". Sometimes it might be worth it to get a 3rd party involved to hand the purchasing and distribution. I've considered it with my training. Because I'm not charging as much as RH, I don't have quite the same profit margin to trim off for distribution, so I'm not going that route. But I don't think it's a bad choice, particularly for the buzz that you have around the training.

RebelHill
06-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Well fellas....

Tbh, its not all about the money. By my estimation the cut a publisher will take will even out given their handling of shipping/payments, and the likely larger reach/number of sales with what ud get to keep by doing it all yourself, and having likely fewer sales... So I doubt theres a huge amount of difference in returns between the 2 methods.

But Ive always been the kind of guy who likes to try his hand at things when opportunities present themselves, even if its not something I have any particular interest or reason to do...

So for this reason if no other, Ive decided to have a crack at self-distro on this occasion... If my work is good, helpful to folks, and well received, then there will be more opportunities to work with one publisher or another in the future, should I decide, or be called upon to offer more training, on either this or other topics.

But I would like to just give a big shout out and public thanks to Wes "Kurv" Beckwith, with whom Ive had great conversation, and who has given me some truly golden advice and info on the training/publishing market as a whole. He's a TOP bloke, and anyone who has the opportunity to work with him is very lucky indeed.

As for release dates....

Oh very.... very soon!

geothefaust
06-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Great, looking forward to it still. :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see you taking a stab at this all your own, good on you sir!

I must agree with your sentiments about Wes, I've been working with him for about a month now, and it's been a very big pleasure. He's really nice, easy to get along with, and he's got a great attitude toward all things. It doesn't get much better then that. :)

h2oStudios
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
Keep it up RH. You'll undoubtedly make heads spin with the amount of knowledge that's packed into these things. I have to say - You're f**king insane:thumbsup:, lol, and switch to turkish blend ;).

GregMalick
06-26-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey RH,

Looking forward to your training.
And your right, Wes is a top notch guy. :agree:

kurv
06-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Best of luck to my future competition.... now the gloves come off my friend :D

Thanks guys for the kind words... much appreciated. Okay headed to bed to get ready for Javis' live class tomorrow. :P

Cageman
06-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Hey RH,

Looking forward to your training.
And your right, Wes is a top notch guy. :agree:

Quoted for 100% agreement!

gordonrobb
06-27-2009, 03:57 AM
Just found this, and it looks awesome. Hoping it will be affordable to me, but I will be hovering over my paypal button when they are released. Thanks.

Kid Mesh
06-28-2009, 03:24 PM
:thumbsup: I'm so ready for these...cant wait. Everything I've seen thus far is top notch. Keep it up.

Derrick_SA
07-01-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm buyng this when it hits the "shelves". he he. I think $100 is to much, a fair price would be $99, he he he. just kidding, it will be worth every cent at that price!

I'm hoping it would be downloadable also not sure how many hours it is, but the H.264 codec is very good at making high quality video at reasonable sizes. so a product somewhere between 1-3GB I would still download.

But if shipping is the only option I would still buy it.

thanks, and looking forward to ordering!
- Derrick

RebelHill
07-01-2009, 06:20 AM
Thanks again all... for the support (and the competition, lol)... I hope you'll get a lot out of these tuts...

As for release... So close now, its almost as good as available....

Larry_g1s
07-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey RH, just watched the demo with Romeo again...I'm very excited for the training, and I only want it to animate my own characters :D .

geothefaust
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I've tested the rig out, it's quite extensive man. That's the kind of stuff I want to make, super insane, control everything kind of rig. VERY top-shelf, sir!

geothefaust
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
PS- Thread is 5 bars out of me. ;)