PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #40 - Board Games

AdamAvenali
05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #40 - Board Games
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - Board Games

Remember those nights as a kid when you would sit around on family night and pull out a classic board game? No? Okay, well remember in those old tv shows where the perfect stereotypical family would pull out a board game on family night? My point being, there were games to play before video games, so let us get back to those even for only a week of speed modeling. Model an entire board, one or all of the game pieces, or make up a totally new game!

Brainstorming: chess, checkers, majong, Monopoly, Sorry, and the list goes on...

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 3 June 2200 GMT

Nangleator
05-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Oh, ho!

Anyone else an Avalon Hill grognard in the 70's and 80's?

Scanning copyrighted art would fall under fair use, since the purpose of these contests is education, right?

JeffrySG
05-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Scanning copyrighted art would fall under fair use, since the purpose of these contests is education, right?

I don't think anyone would really care to be honest. Unless you started selling your renders. You can create anything you want for your personal use.

And this is a cool topic too! :)

flakester
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
~ And this is a cool topic too! :)

!w00t! :agree:
Nice pick AdamA! :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Nicolas Jordan
05-27-2009, 09:13 AM
If I can find the time this week I want to get in on this one. Great theme, it's not to broad and not to narrow! :thumbsup:

AdamAvenali
05-27-2009, 09:18 AM
...it's not to broad and not to narrow!

that was the goal entirely :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Well here's my model for a Mancala board. I'll try to texture it up tomorrow. About 30min of modeling time - all subd.

Crossfire
05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
As easy as this one was I couldn't help myself. Modeling time took about 30 mins and about 25 for texture. Can't wait to see what everyone else has in store.:thumbsup:

AdamAvenali
05-27-2009, 12:07 PM
excellent stuff so far!

i just wanted to double check here and make sure i have my deadline time right. 2200 GMT translates to 1800 eastern US time, correct? so, 6 PM eastern time? the whole daylight savings thing throws me off haha

MooseDog
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
checkers, with a twist :)

(great! monopoly scene crossfire.)

Crossfire
05-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Fun And Delicious! Great job!:thumbsup:

AdamAvenali
05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
well i figured i might as well throw something together real quick for fun :D

THREEL
05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
checkers, with a twist :)

(great! monopoly scene crossfire.)

My wife would love the candy corn. I don't really care for it myself, but I love the render. Great job, MD! :thumbsup:

The other first entries are real nice as well. :)

I wanted to get into the last one, but I couldn't get the modeling done in an hour. Oh well, I hope to give this one a go.

IMI
05-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Cool stuff so far, and this is a really [email protected] topic! :thumbsup:

Got some ideas, now just need the time...

Hopper
05-27-2009, 10:00 PM
Chess - dibbs :neener: Oh yeah .. lathe tool here I come!

oobievision
05-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Ok here my entry Classic Jenga 35 min modeling 40 min lighting and textures.

oobievision
05-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Small Update Got bored and felt that one block in the front was kinda plain.

Crossfire
05-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Adam - Nice sorry pieces. I always loved that game
oobie - classic. Love the added LW block!:lwicon:

Great job all.:thumbsup:

JeffrySG
05-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Small Update Got bored and felt that one block in the front was kinda plain.

that was a great idea! nice!

waly
05-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Here is my entry.

Modeling took 10 min. Texture, lighting took 15 min.

The game is called "Mos u ben nervoz burrec" translated in eng. "don't be mad man".

JeffrySG
05-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Here's my render of the Mancala board. I tried for a while to use hardfx to get the seeds in the board but that didn't work too well. doh! I did it by hand instead. Probably spend about 2hrs on the uv maps and textures and lighting.

Crossfire
05-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Nice render Jeffry. Love the old wood texture on the playing board.
good job all!:thumbsup:

oobievision
05-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Here's my render of the Mancala board. I tried for a while to use hardfx to get the seeds in the board but that didn't work too well. doh! I did it by hand instead. Probably spend about 2hrs on the uv maps and textures and lighting.

have you tried using it as a collision and set to stick?

Nangleator
05-28-2009, 08:00 PM
Just a few minutes modeling, a couple hours of surfacing/rendering. Yeah, I know.

It's a game of Pente. No scans, just procedurals.

AdamAvenali
05-28-2009, 08:49 PM
great stuff so far everyone! keep em coming! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
05-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Just a few minutes modeling, a couple hours of surfacing/rendering. Yeah, I know.

It's a game of Pente. No scans, just procedurals.

Cool... I thought it might have been 'GO'...

JeffrySG
05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
have you tried using it as a collision and set to stick?

I tried a few different settings. I re-watched William's 'cereal' vid to make sure I was doing everything correctly, but with the shapes and all it just wasn't working right and was taking way too long. :(

JeffrySG
05-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Nice render Jeffry. Love the old wood texture on the playing board.
good job all!:thumbsup:

Oh, and thanks.... I really tried to make use of normal maps on this render. :)

JamesCurtis
05-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Here's one for you.

This model is based on a very old game we had my grandmothers house. It is from the 40's [we still have it]. It's a tabletop bowling board game. You shoot at the pins by aiming the ball on the string from behind the pins, hitting them and trying to get a strike or spare.

Not sure if it qualifies, but I had fun doing it anyway.

Modeling time: 45 min.
Texturing: 30 min.

oobievision
05-29-2009, 03:03 AM
Heres my second entry took 10 min to model and 5 hours to texture and photoshop.

R.Feeney
05-29-2009, 03:21 AM
I pictured it as more dramatic but I got a bit drunk and said screw it.

The White King has also been drinking :D

Pieces about 30 min, board about 5, good whiskey priceless.

JeffrySG
05-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I pictured it as more dramatic but I got a bit drunk and said screw it.

The White King has also been drinking :D

Pieces about 30 min, board about 5, good whiskey priceless.

Nice entry!

Crossfire
05-29-2009, 06:10 AM
feeney - Awesome entry! Too cool.

I usually don't ask for the object, but this one is just too damn cool. Hopefully you can post it after the challenge closes.

Thanks!

Nangleator
05-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Awesome render, Feeney!

I recognize that game. It's the famous Bobbie Fischer vs. Jack Daniels match of '02, right?

Nicolas Jordan
05-29-2009, 08:40 AM

That's one of my favorite games! I have seen different versions of it over the years. Some use marbles and some use small wooden balls etc.

JeffrySG
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
That's one of my favorite games! I have seen different versions of it over the years. Some use marbles and some use small wooden balls etc.

It really is a good game! I think it originated in Africa and they used to use seeds for the pieces. That's why I put the seeds in there. :)

adamredwoods
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Heres my second entry took 10 min to model and 5 hours to texture and photoshop.

Hilarious. I like the "Render 100%" square.

flakester
05-30-2009, 06:25 PM
Lovely stuff so far all; modelling-wise, and with the renders too. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Iain
05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
I hate scrabble!
But.......it's easy to model :thumbsup:

About 10 minutes for modelling and the same for set up/render.

Nangleator
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Beautiful render, Iain. The blocks look a little thick, but I may have an outdated copy.

Crossfire
06-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Great Stuff So Far All!:thumbsup:

JeffrySG
06-01-2009, 06:53 AM
I hate scrabble!
But.......it's easy to model :thumbsup:

About 10 minutes for modelling and the same for set up/render.

LOL at the word... nice render!

robert_Lavigne
06-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Here is the game Settlers of Catan, a family favorite as of late. It took 50 minutes to model the pieces, then about 6 hours to set it all up, scan and make the textures, light and render it.

Robert

Crossfire
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Here is the game Settlers of Catan, a family favorite as of late. It took 50 minutes to model the pieces, then about 6 hours to set it all up, scan and make the textures, light and render it.

Robert

Great Looking Game Robert:thumbsup:
I've never played myself......but looks interesting?!

Good job all!

Yamba
06-02-2009, 05:53 AM
The White King has also been drinking.

No wonder he looks legless. Great render.

It really is a good game! I think it originated in Africa and they used to use seeds for the pieces. That's why I put the seeds in there. :)

My daughter and I play this game heaps and use cone shells as the pieces, she's twelve and kicks my RRRRs at this and just about every game we play together, hence I've taken up mountain biking.

Shane

Kuzey
06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Anybody hungry for hippos :hey:

This was more complicated then I thought it would be. Anyway, 64 minutes modelling.

No render because it's not finished and it's not really a board game.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Anybody hungry for hippos :hey:

This was more complicated then I thought it would be. Anyway, 64 minutes modelling.

No render because it's not finished and it's not really a board game.

Kuzey

that's great, did you have a real one for reference?

Kuzey
06-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Naaa...I never owned or played one.....just used the normal crappy images on the internet. I did find some reference drawings from a manual but they were too small to be useful...I had to eye ball it :D

Kuzey

Crossfire
06-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Naaa...I never owned or played one.....just used the normal crappy images on the internet. I did find some reference drawings from a manual but they were too small to be useful...I had to eye ball it :D

Kuzey

That's awesome!:thumbsup:

I always played this as a kid and they look good to me. You'll have to pick this one back up one day and finish it.:D

Kuzey
06-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks Crossfire,

Haha...That one day turns out to be today, I just had to finish this one :D

Kuzey

AdamAvenali
06-03-2009, 08:20 AM
kuzey, that is one sexy hippo haha

great job so far everyone! this is going to be tough to judge! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
06-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Nice render Kuzey! :)

I just did a little lighting update on this one:

Crossfire
06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks Crossfire,

Haha...That one day turns out to be today, I just had to finish this one :D

Kuzey

Too Cool. Great model and great render as usual.:thumbsup:

Love how you actually added the hammer, and the fact you can see the hammer extension through the gaps in the neck:thumbsup:

Edit - Nevermind I see what you have going. It's the neck extending and the hammer connects to the back end of the neck.

AdamAvenali
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
okay, so here we go. i am going to try and force myself to keep it short because if i don't i will just ramble on haha.

JeffrySG: i really like your render, but i like your wireframe even more. i am a sucker for a nice clean subdivided mesh.

Crossfire: the quality of your textures is amazing! i would really like to know where you found them at that high of a quality.

MooseDog: excellent twist on a classic! my only question is, what happens when you have to king one of them? haha

oobievision1: nice jenga tower! i am really digging the camera angle as well!

waly: i can say that i have never heard of this game until now! i really enjoy the clean and simple design.

Nangleator: oooh shiny! my favorite part about your image is the organic-ness of the grid lines on the board.

JamesCurtis: this is kind of game i could see sitting on my desk at work. nice and clean geometry!

oobievision2: very creative! you even got the fold for the gameboard in there!

R.Feeney: your lighting is superb! is it okay if i come and live with you for a while and just watch over your shoulder? haha

Iain: an excellent image overall, modeling, surfacing and composition!

robert_Lavigne: this is another game i have never heard of until now. i like the render and that you did the complete board, cards and pieces!

Kuzey: i really wish this would have been finished in time. excellent model and render!

alright, so the moment eveyone has been waiting for, well at least the 11 of you. this was a really hard decision. the quality is going up with each passing challenge.

i would like to congratulate robert_Lavigne on the victory! you really did a great job on this and put a lot of time in it. you will be responsible for posting next week's topic and judging! :)

great job everyone! i hope i get to do this again! it was really a pleasure to see my topic come to life.

Crossfire
06-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Congrats Robert!!!!!!:thumbsup:
Great Job All!! We had some really nice models/renders this time around!:beerchug:

JeffrySG
06-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Congrats Robert! Great job. :)

Hopper
06-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Nice job indeed Robert! I happen to like that one quite a bit.

So on to the next challenge!

Get off your DOF and start thinking small!

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99249

Nangleator
06-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Great job, Robert!

robert_Lavigne
06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the victory adam.

I have to go out of town next week for some medical tests.(I was in a bad accident last year and they're still piecing me together.) If someone could cover the topic and judging for me I would gladly do it the following week. Thanks.

Robert

R.Feeney
06-04-2009, 02:27 AM
feeney - Awesome entry! Too cool.

I usually don't ask for the object, but this one is just too damn cool. Hopefully you can post it after the challenge closes.

Thanks!

No problem. The models and scene should be attached in the zip. I left out the hdr image but a version of it can be downloaded over here
http://www.debevec.org/probes/
its the one of The Uffizi Gallery.

R.Feeney: your lighting is superb! is it okay if i come and live with you for a while and just watch over your shoulder? haha

As tempting as that sounds its a two room flat with me my wife and a cat living in it, I suppose you could stay in the oven :D
Honestly though there is not much lighting going on in this one. Its just the hdri and fairly default Global Illum settings.
I added a layer of transparent black in front of the hdri by stacking a textured enviroment after the Image World in the backdrop panel.

Well done Robert:thumbsup:

oobievision
06-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Congrats Robert! feel better

Kuzey
06-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Well done Robert and good luck with the medical tests :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Crossfire
06-04-2009, 06:22 AM
R.Feeney - Thanks for the models, and the nice lighting tip.:thumbsup:

RollerJesus
06-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Nicely done all..

Hey Feeney - love that render but... "left right black white" :)

AdamAvenali
06-04-2009, 12:16 PM
sorry to hear about the medical stuff robert.

who wants to take over for the topic and judging next week? c'mon i know someone is just itching to do it :D

oh, and R. Feeney, i'm pretty small and when i have to share a hotel with somone i'm usually the one voted to sleep in the bathtub, so the oven should be fine haha

flakester
06-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Congrats robert_Lavigne; well deserved. :thumbsup: ~Get well soon.
Grand entries all, awesome stuff!

--
flakester

R.Feeney
06-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Nicely done all..

Hey Feeney - love that render but... "left right black white" :)
Depends on which side of the board you are looking :hey:

sorry to hear about the medical stuff robert.

who wants to take over for the topic and judging next week? c'mon i know someone is just itching to do it :D

oh, and R. Feeney, i'm pretty small and when i have to share a hotel with somone i'm usually the one voted to sleep in the bathtub, so the oven should be fine haha

Well if Robert wants to pick a subject I can start the thread for him and he can judge whenever he gets back.

I`m fairly sure that I would remember to wake you before turning on the oven:devil:

And Robert I hope the tests go well for you

RollerJesus
06-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Depends on which side of the board you are looking
That's true but that rule applies for the white pieces. ;)

R.Feeney
06-09-2009, 09:41 AM
You may well be "Right" :D

RollerJesus
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
left, right, black, white, right, wrong... who am I to say?

RollerJesus
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
btw, rotated the board 90 degrees so the pieces were placed properly and rendered out a 40" x 15" image. Giving a print to my chess geek cousin for his birthday. :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
06-10-2009, 09:38 AM
Or you could have movedthe camera to the other side :D

I hope your cousin enjoys the print:thumbsup:

R.Feeney
06-10-2009, 09:41 AM
And my first time in print .Yea!

RollerJesus
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I'll snap a picture once it's framed.

R.Feeney
06-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I`ll look forward to that :)

RollerJesus
07-17-2009, 09:21 AM
I`ll look forward to that :)

Here it is Feeney!

I think it came our really great, I ended up printing it around 10 x 20 I think. It's clearly a digital print and you can see some of the print lines which I'm not crazy about but the gift was well received!

Awesome as usual! :thumbsup:

Patrick

oobievision
07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
oh cool, perhaps a trip to kinkos for the large glossy paper prints

RollerJesus
07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
oh cool, perhaps a trip to kinkos for the large glossy paper prints

This was a Wolf Camera print. I didn't want to send it out since time was short so they printed it on their large format printer. The picture I took really makes those lines stand out too.

R.Feeney
07-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks man, great to see it printed up :)