PDA

View Full Version : Render Farm hookup question

virtualcomposer
05-26-2009, 07:55 AM
At work I'm using a pretty fast PC but there are two other computers I can use as well. I was wondering if I can just hook them up through firewire or is it more complicated then that? I'm new at the whole render farm thing. Thanks.

Sensei
05-26-2009, 08:12 AM
IMHO not many people have experience setting up multi-platform render farm.. Better ask it on Macintosh forums..
LW built-in ScreamerNet is transfering data by writing them to shared directory in LAN, readable-writable by both computers..

virtualcomposer
05-26-2009, 08:54 AM
IMHO not many people have experience setting up multi-platform render farm.. Better ask it on Macintosh forums..
LW built-in ScreamerNet is transfering data by writing them to shared directory in LAN, readable-writable by both computers..

is it pretty easy to set up?

Sensei
05-26-2009, 09:17 AM
"Pretty easy" is relative to person.. ;)
If you know how to write MS-DOS batch files etc. general computer knowledge, you should be able to do it..

rezman
05-26-2009, 10:35 AM
There are many tutorials out there, even video tutes...and they are very good. But there is always some degree of pain in setting up screamernet.

Here are my hyperquick tips for what it's worth.

- The computers need to be on the same network
- Each computer needs its own batch file, nothing more
- The main computer needs A full Lightwave install
- Lightwave needs to be in a network friendly location. That is, no spaces and a mapped drive
- Map that same drive on the slave computers
- Here is an example of the bat file:

cd L:\Programs
LWSN.exe -2 -cL:\config L:\command\job1 L:\command\ack1

[Explanation of the bat file. L: is where Lightwave is installed, no subdirectory. job1 and ack1 will need to be changed for each computer. So job2 ack2, job3 ack3 etc...everything else the same]

- Also, put your files in a Screamernet friendly location. For me that is L:\content\ so... L:\content\objects L:\content\scenes L:\content\images even the render location needs to be friendly. so...L:\content\render
-Then...run the bat file on each computer. Crank up network rendering in Lightwave, load the scene, render...
- I'm doing this with Fprime and it works with that as well.

rez

JBT27
05-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Or take a look at the Personal Edition of Butterfly NetRender - some money for sure, but not alot, and worth every penny:

http://www.liquiddreamsolutions.com/web5/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=4&Itemid=159

The PE allows you 5 nodes, so if you have your main box and the two others you mention, then you are covered.

Just a thought.

Julian.

dwburman
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Butterfly NetRender is probably the easiest way to go and it may allow you to do multi-platform setups.

I think there's a sample batch file in the programs directory in the windows installation.

You can use network file paths instead of mapped drives, but mapped drives might work better for you. (Mapped drives: Windows lets you assign a drive letter to a network path so that something like x: will point to //server/subfolder/subfolder)

One gotcha I've dealt with is the nodes not finding finding the plug-ins. If this is a problem you can fix it by using the Plug-in editor to scan the folder (making sure you select the drive through the network and not as a local disk) or by doing a find and replace in the preference files with a text editor.

I don't know anyone who uses firewire for networking.

My understanding is that BNR will automate a lot of the process.

LW_Will
05-31-2009, 01:51 PM
There are several "front ends" for ScreamerNet for Mac.

For the Mac, if you set things up correctly, in a Mac environment, it is very simple.

I'd check with Flay for "Mac and ScreamerNet".