PDA

View Full Version : Variable Network Speed Problem

JBT27
05-26-2009, 03:39 AM
We recently switched our network to gigabit, so we have the onboard ports in our two quad-cores, and PCI cards for our older P4s - one a single core and the other a dual-core.

It all works great, except for the dual-core, which can report either 10/HALF, 100/FULL or 1000M - all the rest work fine at 1000, no problems.

Thing is, we've tried another card, several new cables, different PCI-slot, other ports in the switch (which is also new and works fine apart from this). We've tried the same card in other machines - works fine there.

If it's running slow, sometimes pulling the cable out, waiting awhile then putting it back in, will get the speed to full, but sometimes not.

So effectively at startup it's a lottery what speed that card is going to run at.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look next?

I have Kaspersky Anti-Virus on the dual core, though the internet connection is through a separate 10/100 card. That said, in the properties for the gigabit connection, Kaspersky has added an Anti-Virus NDIS Filter ..... I don't see why or how that would vary the network speed.

The dual-core has an Intel Motherboard D945PSN, and actually the onboard ethernet (which is gigabit on that mobo) never worked that well, if at all. Originally I ended up putting a PCI 10/100 card in and that worked flawlessly for years.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

Julian.

OnlineRender
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM
you may have to throttle the connection speed back , does it drop off alot ?

Different idea but same princable , i got 50 meg broadband installed about 5 months ago , i had to throttle the connection speed back ,wireless kept dropping , something to do with the packets being sent to fast for the network / machine to handdle .

just an idea , sorry i cant help , ill ask my uncle tonight hes gifted when it comes to this shinnzle

JBT27
05-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks - it may be a help - I'll try it ..... hell, I'll try anything right now :D

But ..... how do you throttle the speed back?

System settings presumably, but I wasn't aware you could vary the speed, other than via the Advanced tab in Properties reached via the network card's entry in Device Manager. But there you are restricted to 10 or 100 or 1000. And that's the point, it's already doing one of the three variously, according to Network Connections control panel, instead of just sticking at 1000M.

So presumably you're suggesting some other way to cap the speed?

It's a Netgear GA311, by the way.

Thanks.

Julian.

OnlineRender
05-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Im going to my Uncles tonight for a ISSPro ,marathon , ill ask then .
try old skool dos command and ping your machines over the network ,see if theres any packet loss .

c:> ping localhost remember not > format c: /s LOL

are all your machines on the same OS , sometimes that can cause mega trouble ,sorry trying to understand the problem at the risk of sounding like a Dell over the phone tech guy .

I got my isp to throttle the signal back , but obv that isnt the case here ?
theres thousands of things i can think of , network adaptor driver file conflictions .
endless possibilites infact .

All my network machines are linux "faster", my offline machine and laptop are windows may i add WIN 7 RC "starting to get used it .

sorry dude trail and error time .

JBT27
05-26-2009, 01:07 PM
No apologies - I'm no stranger to trial and error - nature of the beast with stuff like this :D

This is a purely local affair, so internet config/speeds don't come into it.

The card in question is on the dual-core box and allows connection within our little workgroup - two boxes running XP Pro SP2 32bit and two on XP Pro SP2 64bit. The latter two have onboard gigabit ethernet, and the other two use these Netgear GA311 cards, one of which is behaving in said way, although the card itself, as we've tested and proved, is OK.

The problem happens at startup/restart. I've attached a screengrab of the Netgear window right now, which you can see is annoyingly reporting 1000M and working very well. However, it will often report 100/FULL or occasionally 10/HALF. But this happens only at startup/restart, like the speed is being determined then and that's what it stays at for that session.

The other three machines report a constant 1000M. But am I being too naive here? You're talking packets, so what should I be looking for to determine what speed the card is actually running the network at on this machine?

Yes, please, ask your uncle! I'd appreciate any ideas! And yeah, not > format c: /s ..... I'll not forget that one :D

Edit - By the way - I blanked out the MAC and IP addresses because I'm probably paranoid ..... :)

Julian.

OnlineRender
05-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Edit - By the way - I blanked out the MAC and IP addresses because I'm probably paranoid ..... :)

Julian.

good idea back in the day i would have used that to its full advantage :)

ill ask tonight GL