PDA

View Full Version : Best way to sell a license of LW + plugins?

Steve Reeves
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Hi all,

I've got a copy of LW9 (plus fprime/lwcad/ifw nodal) to sell.

I'm just checking with the individual vendors to make sure I can transfer the licenses legally but assuming I can what is, form your experience, the best way to do this?

eBay, the classified section of this forum, other? I am in the UK if that makes any difference.

Be grateful for any suggesions!

Many thanks
Steve

3DGFXStudios
05-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Don't sell it. Just Give it to me! :D :thumbsup:

Steve Reeves
05-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Don't sell it. Just Give it to me! :D :thumbsup:

haha! If I wasn't broke I would! :D

Trulsi
05-25-2009, 09:05 AM
haha! If I wasn't broke I would! :D

You're broke? *senses opportunity* Which versions are your plugins?

hrgiger
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
I've sold 2 different licenses of LW in the past along with plug-ins. My first piece of advice to you is not to expect to get what you paid for out of it. Especially in this economy right now.
List it in the classifieds here on the forums and also list it on Spinquad and CGTalk. If it's allowed, I'd list it in the general sectionand the LW section on CGTalk so that more then just LW users will see it. Set a reasonable price. I would probably expect 60% or less of what you paid for them orginally.
As far as licenses and transferring, Fprime and LWCAD will transfer but I'm not sure about ifw nodal. You'll need to email Worley, WTools and whoever the maker of ifw nodal and ask them about the procedure. With Worley plug-ins, you usually need to transfer LW along with the plug-in because it is tied to the dongle (which is not a problem in your case). Otherwise, you would have to order a new dongle for the plug-in to be licensed with.

Steve Reeves
05-25-2009, 09:15 AM
You're broke? *senses opportunity* Which versions are your plugins?

Lol! Fprime is v3 (still waiting to here from Worely Labs if I am allowed to transfer this licence - think I am!)

IFW2 Nodal v1.1 (PC only, but RJJ says he would allow the buyer to upgrade to latest PC or Mac version for 49USD)

and LWCAD is v2. (Viktor said this was good for either Mac or PC, he could supply the Mac version if needed - guess this is a universal license)

I think these are all (except IFW) locked to my dongle so I don't think I could seperate them in order to sell (which is fair enough!).

As you probably gather I only physically have the PC versions of the software.

Cheers
Steve

Steve

hrgiger
05-25-2009, 09:17 AM
See my post above Steve about transferring licenses.

Steve Reeves
05-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info Mr Giger.

Your quite right, I wouldn't expect to get close to what I paid for them, that wouldn't be reasonable. Just after a fair price - which is as always whatever people want to pay!

I'll have a look at the other forums, good advice, would feel a bit cheeky posting 'spam' but I will see whether it is allowed and the right place for it.

Many thanks
Steve

Trulsi
05-25-2009, 11:43 AM
Too bad about the dongle issue(cause I am interested in all the plugins:) But I'm sure you'll find a buyer! Ant it is of course less hassle for you to sell everything in a package. Whoever buys it will have a badass lightwave system. Good luck!

PS: You still have one left for yourself, right?

Edit: Added "left" so it didn't say "you still have one for yourself"