PDA

View Full Version : Parenting in Modeler

ednachman
05-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Is it possible to parent a polygon to a point, so that when I move the "point" the polygon follows?

UnCommonGrafx
05-24-2009, 01:22 PM
sure, put the point on another layer. because there is 'nothing' there it will act as a null, a placeholder.

ednachman
05-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I am attaching my dilemma. The first layer has the tube and the second layer has the point. How do I get to attach the tube to the point so that I control where that "point" will move the tube?

SplineGod
05-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Any parenting you do in modeler would be to reallly setup the parenting for layout.

UnCommonGrafx
05-24-2009, 05:11 PM
To say it another way, use a really small bone to accomplish this as that will allow for deformation in layout. And, if you want it extra precise, apply a weightmap to that point.

05-27-2009, 08:27 AM
You can parent layers to each other in modeler using the layers panel, and this tells layout the parenting when you initially load the model into a particular scene. if you change it thereafter in modeler it will not affect that scene.
It's usually useful to set up hierarchies in modeler starting at the top - i.e. with the 'parent' object in a layer before the child object.
While you can tell modeler to parent a layer to another layer with just a point in it, er, why bother? - easier to add a named null in layout & then parent the object to it