PDA

View Full Version : Painting Animated Textures in a model

probiner
05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
I wonder...
Is there a 3D painting application that allows you to load or create a video as texture and paint over each frame, similar to what you can do in Photoshop since CS3?

This would be great to create animated textures around a model or, masks for post production.

Cheers.

OnlineRender
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
ulead products can do that , but your quicker creating png images in PS then compile them in prism video conv , i had to create a character texture and simulate rain hitting the cloth . worked well !

or use after effects ,use the video file , select 3D obj , then work from there .

sorry NT for promoting other sites , but video copilot has some solid tuts

probiner
05-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Wow...

ulead products can do that
hmm... Went to the site and the only one that looks for painting is 3D Cool. Downloading Demo.

but your quicker creating png images in PS then compile them in prism video conv , i had to create a character texture and simulate rain hitting the cloth . worked well !

prism video conv... hmmm... i can export MOV, DV, AVI, MPEG-4 etc.. from Photoshop, why do i need the converter?
The rain case looks like a good example :)

or use after effects ,use the video file , select 3D obj , then work from there .

I know you can paint over a video in AE with vector paint. But you saying to map a 3D obj with the video and paint from there? hmm, i'll give it a try.

sorry NT for promoting other sites , but video copilot has some solid tuts
Don't we promote LW and LW foruns to everyone out there? :D

Thanks for reply, Cheers

OnlineRender
05-22-2009, 03:30 PM
heres what i done , i made the uv map , in LW , planner or whatever fits !
i then took the UV map into PS which is usually the case , I had the default uv image , for example a t-shirt "say frame 1"
i made about 30 images every time the rain splashed got darker and expanded , then i compliled them into png sequence , took it back into LW selected the uv map option and whalla the textured changed over time/frame rate . . . . .

easy .. LOL

probiner
05-22-2009, 03:46 PM
ehehe :) nice one! Its a good tech.

I have a work to in wich a Vicious Ink Stain walks around in a 3D corridor. I like to animate stuff by "hand" (wacom is still hand :D) altough i could project it with a spotlight , but little point control. And the UV of the walls is planar so easy to paint in Photoshop but i don't have a realtime feedback of my work result.
Ill' probably start with a line on the walls, like a stain motion path so i get the animaion right and then go all Brushy in Photoshop.

By the way you can open videos files in LW. When the Open Window pops, change file type to All files and pick the video files. Maybe not all but *.movs i know that work.

Cheers.

SplineGod
05-22-2009, 04:19 PM
I typically use PDPro for creating animated textures. Its a great paint applicaition and does 2D animation. It even has a cool particle paint/animation system built in. I will sometimes bring in UV templates from LW and paint/animate over them then reapply in LW.

OnlineRender
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
EDIT : may have been tiff format cant rember but LW dosnt handle 1 or the other

probiner
05-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Spline, downloading demo :)

The highlights of PDPro remind me a lot of TVPaint (former Mirage). Its an intend reproducer or Traditional Animation on the computer. You can draw in blue, orange and black and then erase just one fo the colors. As lot of funny features that you won't see in another apps(Dope Tracks, etc.). Its like a Photoshop and After Effects specific for Traditional Animation.

Cheers

SplineGod
05-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Plus the author Dan Ritchie is a long time LW user.