PDA

View Full Version : Record Format options

Maxworks
05-22-2009, 08:46 AM
I think for those of us editing on something other than the tricaster itself it would be greatly benificial to be able to setup different types of direct to disc recordings. For example AVI. I would also like to be able to recored the mpeg 422 that you have now without the embeded audio and instead of mp3 have a seperate wave file.

luis.ayuso
05-29-2009, 08:42 PM
this would be usefull for making podcasts right from the start in the right format. then you just grab the file and put it online.

luis.ayuso
06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
if anyone saw the latest issue of broadcast engineering, it talked about mutli format encoding, which would also be slick as it would record a couple of formats for use in different areas. like providing for your mobile users, internet users, and if you send out for actual television use, high quality for that too, all simultaneously recording in different formats, codecs, bitrates and resolutions.

now THAT would be awesome.

luis.ayuso
11-13-2009, 08:57 PM
im bumping this, because i would LOVE to cut back on a recording computer running windows media encoder, and record in the tricaster in a podcast freindly version, in a bitrate lower then the normal full res of the live production output. I really want to make the tricaster my streaming/recording computer, but newtek doesn't support windows media encoder features any more then just live streaming. i'd like to have control over video size, and bitrate, along with the format as well.

jerryvr
11-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Interesting their is no feedback from Newtek on this. I know they are very elitist about quality, but why not give us a drop down of recording formats in stead of a toggle to switch between Studio and regular mpeg. Let us record to dv format and make our own decision as to whether or not the loss of color and quality matters. Neither Premier or Final Cut like the MPEG files produce by the tricaster. Let us have some options, so we can choose the format that works best for our usage.

ted
11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Does the non-HQ MPEG work in your other apps?

jerryvr
11-25-2009, 07:13 PM
The non-HQ MPEG is loaded into Final Cut as 720x405 which it should be 720x480 anamorphic and the sound has to be added in separately, synced and locked. Then you have to go through a lengthy rendering process.
I have also tried it in Premier but the quality is poor and again a lengthy process as it renders to dv

Paul Lara
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
if anyone saw the latest issue of broadcast engineering, it talked about mutli format encoding, which would also be slick as it would record a couple of formats for use in different areas. like providing for your mobile users, internet users, and if you send out for actual television use, high quality for that too, all simultaneously recording in different formats, codecs, bitrates and resolutions.

now THAT would be awesome.

IF all TriCaster had to manage was to write video to disk, this might be possible, but there are so many more demands with the live production that I suspect it would be too taxing on the system.

joseburgos
12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
The HQ MPEG format works in CS4 Premiere Pro on my system just fine. Just to have the record straight, CS4 is on my VT system with the NewTek codec pack installed. Sometime in early 2010 I plan on installing CS4 on another non-VT system with the NewTek codec pack to see if that is all that is needed for it to work. FCP is a different story and one that I can not shed any light on. I will have FCP in 2010 if I win a bid and will hope a work around will be found before hand. Otherwise I will try my best to find one for myself out of necessity (story of my life).

Take care,

radams
12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
IF all TriCaster had to manage was to write video to disk, this might be possible, but there are so many more demands with the live production that I suspect it would be too taxing on the system.

That is why I would use an additional system with a Digital Rapids card(s) in it...to do all of the Multi-format encoding and much more.

Use the Tricaster for what it is best for...and if your needs go beyond that...then you add in additional equipment..and integrated workflows.

Cheers,

Dub2Dat
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree that it would be VERY useful if Tricaster users could select the recording format that best suits their needs. As for me I would prefer to record mpg2 files that are compatible with the Leightronix Nexus video server. This would save me a ton of time on transcoding.

On a similar note the automatic creation of mp3 files is extremely annoying for those of use that do not need this feature. All it does is use of my drive space, clutter up my clip bins, and wastes my time to have to go in and manually delete them.

Give me a switch on the configuration screen to disable this feature.

Nealb
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I wonder if there is a way to edit the mpeg recording profile. In order to create a file that is drag and drop compatible with our Adtec servers, we need an MPEG file that is
MPEG 2
[email protected]
4Mbps Constant Bit rate
Audio at 224 Kbps

Or if the hardware supports this

MPEG4
[email protected]
2Mbps Constant Bit Rate
720X480
Audio [email protected]
64Kbps Constant Bit Rate

I realize that 4Mbps is vastly inferior to the standard and studio mpeg profiles, but it would not make sense to create mpegs at a higher bit rate than our cable company encodes us at. Thanks!

jcupp
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I think so too. We have to use a specific data rate etc for the video servers we upload our games to for broadcast. Sort of defeats the whole live thing when you have to re-render the entire project.

ZachSchuster
01-20-2010, 08:08 AM
I agree. I'd be happy with recording to the basic DV-AVI format. Works with Premiere Pro, should work fine with FCP and SpeedEdit, and from what I can tell, the file size is comparable to the TC MPEG format.

Re-encoding to ingest into a video server for rebroadcast is a drag on my time and resources.