PDA

View Full Version : Strange subpatch problem

Traveler
05-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi there,

I'm having a strange problem with a model I'm using to give the 3D-Coat demo a try. I'm not entirely sure how or when during the modeler-layout-3dCoat session it happened, but somehow when I now hit Tab, for this particular model, I nolonger get the familiar subpatch mode. Instead it turns into [see attachment].

Like I said, 3DCoat was also active at the time, together with layout and modeler, so it could be related, but I was wondering, is there a way to correct this issue? I really would like to have the normal subpatch mode back. :)

Thanks,

gordonrobb
05-21-2009, 04:00 PM
difficult to see what's happening, its not something like your subpatch level being set to 0 or 1 is it?

Traveler
05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
No, I do not think it is. According to the general options in Modeler, Subpatch Divisions is set to 9 (the default I think).

But, I've done some more testing. When I load this model right after Modeler has started, the problem occurs. Everything else I load or create after that suffers from the same problem. However, if I do not load the model, but instead create a cube or sphere and then load this model, subpatch works just fine :stumped:

Very weird...

JeffrySG
05-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Looks like all of your polys got unwelded. Try to do a merge point operation in modeler.

RudySchneider
05-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Looks like all of your polys got unwelded. Try to do a merge point operation in modeler.

That's what it looked like to me, as well. But Traveler's comment about creating a cube or sphere made me think otherwise.

JeffrySG
05-21-2009, 10:12 PM
That's what it looked like to me, as well. But Traveler's comment about creating a cube or sphere made me think otherwise.

Yeah, that was just a guess. I'll be curious to see what it ends up being. :)

zardoz
05-22-2009, 02:57 AM
actually the default subpatch in modeler is 3.
well I think you could try two things...
1 - after merging points, use unify polygons (I guess it's shift+I...not sure because I changed all my shortcuts)
2 - is this model yours? if it comes from some other package check in the surface editor if it has any vertex normal map. If it does, remove it.

Traveler
05-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the replies!
I think I'll never know what caused this.
I was able to restore the model by using the setup I described earlier. I first added a box, hit Tab, then loaded my model and saved it again. All is fine now :)