PDA

View Full Version : Polygon edges show up in Radiosity with PRMBlur

joelaff
05-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I am getting polygon edges showing up on some objects (in this case an imported poser figure tripled) when using Radiosity (Monte Carlo or FG) and Photoreal Motion Blur. If I disable either one they go away. They only show up in areas that are in motion.

Anyone else see this? Anyone know the cause, or a workaround other than using old school motion blur (or post blur)?

Thanks!

StudioBOZON
05-22-2009, 06:04 AM
the only reason i can think of is that You forgot to clean up the mesh before loading it into Layout. Go back to Modeler set all layers to active and press "w" - the statistics, keep pressing "space" until You'll get the polygon statistics. search for 1-point polys and 2-point polys - pres + for them and delete them. I gues that should help. i think that You get problems, couse the model isn't optimised.

Cheers,
Radek

joelaff
05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
That was my first thought as well. But when I looked in modeler there were no 1 or 2 point polygons. Only triangles.

Amurrell
05-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Also try merging your points (the 'm' key of course). A lot of imported models end up having repeated geometry lying on top of one another that you can't readily see. Usually this overlap, along with the 2-point poly thing causes the lines.

To test the over lapped geometry part, you could go into wireframe and pick a few points and watch your selection number and see if there are more points selected than you can count with your eyes. This can be tedious and inacurate with dense meshes so just hitting 'm' and seeing if there are any points being merged is quicker. I do this whenever I import a poser model or whatever else for that matter just out of habit, and it usually finds things to put together.

jay3d
05-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Ooh, u have just spotted a bug :oye:
Does it look like the image below?

It only happened when using non-interpolated GI with PRMBlur

If u use interpolated GI and turn off Behind test option it will be gone.

and i think this is a bug, as i have not used non-intr. GI for some time.

Hope 9.6 hotfix will fix that.

Cheers

joelaff
05-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Ooh, u have just spotted a bug :oye:
Does it look like the image below?

It only happened when using non-interpolated GI with PRMBlur

If u use interpolated GI and turn off Behind test option it will be gone.

and i think this is a bug, as i have not used non-intr. GI for some time.

Hope 9.6 hotfix will fix that.

Cheers

Generally not to that degree, but yes..

It only happens with bones (or perhaps all deforms). It does not happen with SRT animations.

joelaff
05-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Ah... Directional Rays ON gets rid of it as well... So that is my current workaround...

jay3d
05-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Ah... Directional Rays ON gets rid of it as well... So that is my current workaround...

Wow nice discovery :thumbsup: , it also enables Irradiance Caching to be Motion Blurred properly without artifacts.

Thanks!

joelaff
05-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Wow nice discovery :thumbsup: , it also enables Irradiance Caching to be Motion Blurred properly without artifacts.

Thanks!

Which caching are you referring to? Similar artifacts to the described above, or something else?

jay3d
05-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Which caching are you referring to? Similar artifacts to the described above, or something else?

The interpolated Radiosity mode is actually the Irradiance Caching mode of the GI calculation, not to be confused with Animated Radiosity Caching.

Irradiance Caching exists in most rendering engines like mentar ray, Vray and modo's, but i've found that the LW implementation (after careful tests) yields the cleanest results, specially when it comes to details.

Chuck
06-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Has this bug been reported via our FogBugz database yet? If so, let me know the number (no need to post the link, just the Case number itself), and I'll make sure we get a look at it for the hotfix.