PDA

View Full Version : Shooting 10 Monitors on a stage.

ted
02-25-2003, 11:25 PM
I've shot in all kinds of situations, but this isn't something I usually have to deal with, so I'm looking for any tips.

We are shooting a commercial on a large stage that will have 10, 45" monitors spaced around the stage. Dancers will be moving around the monitors. There will be a lot of rapid camera movement, i.e. pans, tilts, dollies and zooms, in each of the scenes with spotlights panning around.

Our camera is a very good Betacam but DOES NOT have "Clear Scan" to reduce monitor roll.

Even with a "Clear Scan" capable camera, will this reduce ALL picture and color roll?

Other than turning the brightness down on the monitors, does anyone have any tips for making the best of this?

Thanks in advance!

Bytehawk
02-26-2003, 05:37 AM
lay the image over the screens in post where it is needed
aura does this beautifully

i'm sure someone with this kina experience can elaborate further.
Haven't been in that situation yet

ted
02-27-2003, 11:31 AM
We did a test run this morning and everything was fantastic!
We'll be playing with the brightness, contrast and saturation, but they looked great on the test run.

I swish panned, zoomed, tilted and NO unsatisfactory results. There was a slight amount of Moiré effect when zoomed really tight on the screen, but even that was minimal and won't hurt us at all.

They are actually a 50 something inch LCD screen.

I can say for sure, after seeing how well these worked out, I'm going to be writing them into a few more of our productions!!!

The company, "Live Light", has 19 of these monitors, with more on the way. They are located right here in Fresno California. They do some of the biggest stage productions in the Country.
How lucky am I they are based in Fresno!
Man, these things open up a world of possibilities.

ted
02-27-2003, 11:57 AM
We'll be playing with the brightness, contrast and saturation, but they looked great on the test run.

I swish panned, zoomed, tilted and NO unsatisfactory results. There was a slight amount of Moiré effect when zoomed really tight on the screen, but even that was minimal and won't hurt us at all.

I can say for sure, after seeing how well these worked out, I'm going to be writing them into a few more of our productions!!!

The company, "Live Light", has 19 of these monitors, with more on the way. They are located right here in Fresno California. They do some of the biggest stage productions in the Country.

ted
02-27-2003, 04:50 PM

kenmac
02-28-2003, 07:27 AM
I think it is called a sync generator or a roll bar eliminator.
If you call the camera rental dept. at Camera Service Center in NYC they will be able to help you. The number is 212-757-0906...
I am not sure where you are located but it maybe worth a call.
Ken Mac

ted
02-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Testing, testing, 1-2-3, testing.

Paul Lara
03-02-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by ted
Testing, testing, 1-2-3, testing.

Well, after a brief hiatus, it seems that the General Forums are now open for business. :)

kenmac
03-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Ted,
How did your shoot go?
Ken Mac

Lamont
03-03-2003, 09:11 AM
The Canon XLR removes the refresh of the monitors completely. Very cool camera BTW.

ted
03-03-2003, 07:05 PM
We will be shooting this on Thursday. I'll keep you updated.

mgoff
02-27-2006, 12:07 AM
I've shot in all kinds of situations, but this isn't something I usually have to deal with, so I'm looking for any tips.

We are shooting a commercial on a large stage that will have 10, 45" monitors spaced around the stage. Dancers will be moving around the monitors. There will be a lot of rapid camera movement, i.e. pans, tilts, dollies and zooms, in each of the scenes with spotlights panning around.

Our camera is a very good Betacam but DOES NOT have "Clear Scan" to reduce monitor roll.

Even with a "Clear Scan" capable camera, will this reduce ALL picture and color roll?

Other than turning the brightness down on the monitors, does anyone have any tips for making the best of this?

Thanks in advance!
I have been able to eliminate 'monitor roll' when shooting pc computer monitors on an xl-1 by adjusting my 'shutter speed'.
more info here:
http://www.imdb.com/Indie/Ask/20030505.html
and here:
http://www.cinematography.net/Pages%20DW/ExplodingTelevisionScreens.htm

Bog
02-27-2006, 02:58 AM
It's also usually a lot less hassle (in my limited experience of such things) to shoot LCDs/TFTs than it is to shoot CRTs without roll.

My fallback suggestion was going to be "pump a uniform colour to the TVs and motion-track them in post". Do I win a cookie? ;)

ted
02-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Win a cookie? Yeh, if you answered this in 2003!:tongue:
By the way, the shoot went very well. We still use it in our demo reel.

Stooch
02-27-2006, 06:43 PM

umm lcd screens are not like CRT. they dont "pulse", they turn on and then gradually decay in intensity if the charge is removed. hence, dont worry about flicker.

ted
02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Am I in a time warp?:confused: :D

Avebeno
03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Are you talking about computer monitors or television monitors?

To eliminate sync problems with Television monitors , you need to genlock cameras to the playback decks that feed the screens.

Screens should be treated as daylight color temperature sources and the lighting should match a 5600k source.

It can get tricky!

Stooch
03-06-2006, 12:40 PM
lcd monitors in general dont require much syncing. there is no electron beam scanning and the pixels in an LCD tend to fade out rather then flicker on and off like phosphors in a tube would. anyway this is a really really old thread and both of us are kind of late to the game lol.

Avebeno
03-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Really? Oops!