PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #39 - Sit On It Outdoors

adamredwoods
05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #39 - Sit On It Outdoors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - Sit On It Outdoors... or... Nature, Sit On It!

No, that doesn't mean to leave your house and think about it, it means model what you can sit on-- if you were outdoors! In an attempt to level the field with the archviz speed demons, it must be able to be found outside. Transportation is ok. Broken old furniture found by the trash is ok. (Anything is ok, just no modern office chairs, too easy.)

Ideas would include: folding chairs, swing set, broken furniture sitting by the trash, baby car seat, king's carriage, Roman throne, horse saddle, tree stump, rock, someone's lap.

Points for creativity and level of difficulty.

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 27 May 2200 GMT.

art
05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey, I already have a tree stump from an earlier challenge! I just need to remove that axe. ;)

adamredwoods
05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey, I already have a tree stump from an earlier challenge! I just need to remove that axe. ;)

Hm. I'd leave the axe in, adds a back rest.

...Or remove the stump and make a chair of axes.

JCG
05-21-2009, 10:18 PM
Quickly submitting the obvious one before someone else does!

JeffrySG
05-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Quickly submitting the obvious one before someone else does!

Oh... I would not have thought of that one! very cool!

JeffrySG
05-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Well here my entry of a standard fare picnic table.... :)

About 40min on the modeling (all subd) and another 35 for the scene and texturing. They are hard to see but all of the bolts and nails are there too. ;)

oobievision
05-24-2009, 02:23 PM
heres my entry 20 min modeling the chair 3hours texture and lighting and environment modeling

R.Feeney
05-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Nice work guys

flakester
05-24-2009, 04:13 PM
:agree: Ace work so for folks.

I'm hoping my first entry comes under the heading of folding chair..... I'm definitely no arch-vis speed demon!

The walking stick kinda fold out sport-seat type thing:
52 mins modelling, just over the same again for the layout and render.
Model and scene attached, including wire scene and radiosity cache.

--
flakester

R.Feeney
05-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Rumors of my demise having been grossly exaggerated, mostly by myself :hey:
An entry with a garden bench, 25min modeling for the bench and bin.

I will update the group page soon, sorry I have let it slip but I have not been well.

COBRASoft
05-24-2009, 05:38 PM

I will update the group page soon, sorry I have let it slip but I have not been well.

Nice texturing on that bench :)

OlaHaldor
05-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Wish I had the time to participate on these weekly happenings.

And funny thing, the first time this was held, was the week LW9.3 arrived in my mailbox - so this kind of shows how long I've been owning my very own license. :D

Wonder what I'll buy myself for the one year anniversary.. :stumped:

flakester
05-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Nice texturing on that bench :)
:agree:

Very nice job with that bench R.Feeney; both in the modelling, and the atmospheric render, lovely stuff. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

R.Feeney
05-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys :)

Nice work on the sports seat flakester:thumbsup:

A bit over half an hour for the modeling, chair and umbrella.
And a photo from the middle of winter two years ago to put it into.

Kuzey
05-25-2009, 05:31 AM
Haha...R.Feeney is on a roll again :thumbsup:

Nice work guys :D

Kuzey

R.Feeney
05-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Yup, downhill. Its the way I roll :D

Weepul
05-26-2009, 02:52 AM
This took too long (about 1h40m for the modeling) but I decided to finish it anyway. :)

The background (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_o_FrErQLQPM/RsDNLiF-ApI/AAAAAAAAAa8/CL4JzNIWL9o/DSC03931.JPG) is from a Google image search.

Hopper
05-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Cood composite weepul. I tried to find some images to composite mine but ran out of time. Have to head back to the office.

Finally got some time to play this week, so here's my entry. It was a lot easier than I had thought. It was truly an exercise in Clone, Rail Extrude, and Rail Clone. Very simple. The part that took me the longest was the stupid bolts - I hate being a perfectionist.

- All subD'd
- Total time 48 minutes
- No time to UV some wood grains (like I would know how), but I'd be more than happy to post the files if someone else is interested.

Hopper
05-26-2009, 10:21 AM
<delete>
Dual post for some reason.

JeffrySG
05-26-2009, 04:06 PM
This took too long (about 1h40m for the modeling) but I decided to finish it anyway. :)

The background (http://lh5.ggpht.com/_o_FrErQLQPM/RsDNLiF-ApI/AAAAAAAAAa8/CL4JzNIWL9o/DSC03931.JPG) is from a Google image search.

Cood composite weepul. I tried to find some images to composite mine but ran out of time. Have to head back to the office.

Finally got some time to play this week, so here's my entry. It was a lot easier than I had thought. It was truly an exercise in Clone, Rail Extrude, and Rail Clone. Very simple. The part that took me the longest was the stupid bolts - I hate being a perfectionist.

- All subD'd
- Total time 48 minutes
- No time to UV some wood grains (like I would know how), but I'd be more than happy to post the files if someone else is interested.

Both of those swings came out really nice! :D

I like how the sand came out too, Weepul!

JeffrySG
05-26-2009, 04:07 PM

Great model and render on this one too!

flakester
05-27-2009, 01:34 AM
Awesome entries so far! :thumbsup:
Gonna try and weasel some time later to get another one in if I can; we'll see.
Again, grand stuff from all. :D

--
flakester

adamredwoods
05-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Just goofing around, doesn't count.

Great entries so far!

art
05-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I wanted to model one of these but I it's too late now.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2893772196_e1e9a90985.jpg?v=0

adamredwoods
05-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Ok, times up!

JCG, Oobievision, Flakester, great models, and points for originality. the anthill is great. The portable seat has complex joints, great job on that.

JefferySG, RFeeney, RFeeney(2nd), Weepul, great job on the models. The umbrella is well done, very smooth. Excellent attention to detail. Weepul's joints and molding on the playset are great touches.

Hopper takes it this time! Rail clone is a great use of LW toolset, and the contour planks really sells the seat. Original points for making a swinging bench.

Congrats to everyone, the talent level is rising!

adamredwoods
05-27-2009, 11:21 AM
I wanted to model one of these but I it's too late now.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3194/2893772196_e1e9a90985.jpg?v=0

Times up, but you can still throw something into the thread.

Iain
05-27-2009, 11:39 AM
What's going on? There's still over 3 hours left by my watch!

Loving the entries to these last few competitions. I can't enter at the moment as I'm at a residential college during the week but hopefully I'll get back into it later in the year.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

adamredwoods
05-27-2009, 11:56 AM
What's going on? There's still over 3 hours left by my watch!

Oops, getting carried away. I saw contest no.40 and thought i should hurry up. I forgot GMT.

Any last takers to displace Hopper's entry?

AdamAvenali
05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Oops, getting carried away. I saw contest no.40 and thought i should hurry up. I forgot GMT.

sorry adam. i wasnt really sure when to post up number 40 and just figured sometime today was good so i did it as early as i remembered haha

adamredwoods
05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
sorry adam. i wasnt really sure when to post up number 40 and just figured sometime today was good so i did it as early as i remembered haha

no worries. This is a speed modeling challenge and I made it go faster.

flakester
05-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Congrats Hopper!
Well deserved, awesome stuff :thumbsup:

Fab entries all.

--
flakester

RollerJesus
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice win Hopper, wish I had some time to get back into these...

IMI
05-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Just goofing around, doesn't count.

Great entries so far!

Man, that just looks... eeery. Something about a child's toy just sitting unused in a barren plain of endless sand just kinda seems like something went...wrong somewhere like there's some weird story behind it. Maybe I've been playing too much Fallout 3 lately though. ;)

Congrats, Hopper - excellent swing seat, man! :thumbsup:

adamredwoods
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Man, that just looks... eeery. Something about a child's toy just sitting unused in a barren plain of endless sand just kinda seems like something went...wrong somewhere like there's some weird story behind it.

Hey, thats a good idea!

R.Feeney
05-29-2009, 03:24 AM
Nice one Hopper :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
05-29-2009, 06:00 AM
:devil:
Congrats Hopper!
Well deserved, awesome stuff :thumbsup:

Fab entries all.

--
flakester
:agree:

Kuzey
05-29-2009, 06:03 AM
Well done everyone...nice pick for the winner :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Hopper
05-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I must have gone mental this week. This thread never showed up in the "New Posts" section. Holy cow... thanks guys! What a pleasant surprise.