PDA

View Full Version : Rotation and Position far from object...what's the deal?

virtualcomposer
05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Every object I import into Layout has the position and rotation about 30 meters from the object making it near impossible to set in it's place or move it around where I want it to. Is there a setting I am missing here? I'm using the 64bit PC version here at work.

JeffrySG
05-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Are your objects centered on the 0,0,0 origin point in modeler? It they are floating way off in space in modeler the pivot points will still be at the 0,0,0 origin. Or you can manually move the pivot point too, I guess. :)

virtualcomposer
05-21-2009, 08:30 AM
The pivot point is centered but the object is far from it.

virtualcomposer
05-21-2009, 08:32 AM
can I marry the pivot point to the object?

3DGFXStudios
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
you can move the pivot in modeler so it's centered in the middle of you geometry.

virtualcomposer
05-21-2009, 08:50 AM
how do I do that in Modeler?

bethel
05-21-2009, 10:26 AM
To reset pivot point in modeler, go to View tab > Layers > Pivot.
drag to move the pivot to the center of the object. If your object is not centered, you may have to zoom out to find it. Move the pivot in place and click on pivot again to set pivot point

virtualcomposer
05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
To reset pivot point in modeler, go to View tab > Layers > Pivot.
drag to move the pivot to the center of the object. If your object is not centered, you may have to zoom out to find it. Move the pivot in place and click on pivot again to set pivot point

Hey it worked perfectly. Thanks! That saved me about 2 hours of movement.

THREEL
05-21-2009, 03:33 PM
You could have created a Null object, centered it to your object, and, with Parent In Place turned on, parented the object to the Null. That way when you rotate the Null object you rotate the object. Also, this is a great way to rotate more than one object with a common center point. Another thing it is great for is to create a circular orbit around another object. For this, you would place the Null object at the center of the orbit (i.e. the Sun) and place the orbiting object (i.e. the Earth) at the appropriate distance away and parent the orbiting object to the center null.

05-27-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey 'Virtual Composer' - you're posting a good load of queries that shout 'this man hasn't got the hang of the good old RTFB concept' - slow down a bit & get some basics sorted - like building your objects in sensible places.

RollerJesus
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
You can also, just select your object in modeler, hit F2 to center it (not sure on a Mac, sorry) and resave.