PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari F1 Car Basic Surface : NEED HELP!

minilittle
08-21-2003, 03:35 AM
Sorry, all buddies here, I'm a newbie here, just register and urgently need some help for my new builded F1 car surface.

I've tried many times to get the right setting for my Ferrari F1 car basic surface. (Radiocity and HDR is off).

Wish somebody can give me some tips, help or existing setup for this kinda car surface.

Thank You All very much in advance. (I almost quit now due to long hours of testing, so please help)...
:(

mattclary
08-21-2003, 06:51 AM
Tell us or show us the problem you are having and maybe we can help. We can't just say "Here's how you do it". Well, I can tell you make it shiny and reflective (go figure). Maybe use a gradient or fresnel based on camera angle for your reflectiosn. Also, it needs to have something to reflect or it won't look good.

minilittle
08-21-2003, 01:50 PM
ops, sorry, I get what you mean~

I'll post some test shots soon with the reference you gave~

thanks~ ^.^

minilittle
08-21-2003, 07:07 PM
Here is the basic surface that I've done at the mean time.

Radiocity > off (considering rendering time)
Backdrop > On (Imageworld)

Red Body surface setting:
Color: Red (255, 0, 0)
lumocity : 0%
Diffuse: 70%
Spec: 60% (Gradient Applied)
Gloss: 60%
Reflec: 20% (Gradient Applied)
Transparency: 0%
Translucency: 0%
Bump: 0%
Smoothing: 89.5%

Wheel surface setting:
Color: Dark Grey (30, 30, 30)
Diffuse: 55%
Spec: 15%
Gloss: 5%
Reflec: 0.5%
Bump: 50% (Fractal Noise)

Chrome Rim:
Color: White (255, 255, 255)
Diffuse: 30%
Spec: 100%
Gloss: 30%
Reflec: 30%
Bump: 0% (Fractal Noise)

Please comment and help, wish I can make it "photorealistic" ^.^
Thanks to all in advance. :)

cholo
08-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Maybe I can help, what kind of look are you after? Outdoors? Showroom? Glossy? Gritty? What environment are you planning on? Limbo? Set? Comp'd againts a photo background? In a virtual environment? Day? Night? Dusk? Are you going to leave the neutral paint job or are you going to add some sponsor stickers on it? Is it going to move, is it going to be static, animated or still? All those things matter when surfacing and there's no universal solution I'm sorry to say :) I've even found myself changing surfaces on a shot by shot basis on my own car projects :) I'll add some specific instructions on the thread I started a while ago in the finished gallery called Ford Fiesta. It's just that I've been very busy lately, plus this computer hasn't been off in months between renders and editing hehehe...

minilittle
08-22-2003, 01:32 AM
For the look / environment, I wish it can be kinda photorealistic and will be both outdoor and showroom. (how about we starts from a outdoor-day-time first?)

At the begining stage, maybe it is just a virtual background (my modelling on Malaysia Sepang F1 hasn't completed yet).

I'm planning to complete the basic surface first before adding in those sticker mapping on it. To make sure I really can reach the basic surface result at the first place.

Yes, I'm going to make it into a animation (in few months time).

So, where do we starts?

Thanks for the help (in advance~), ^.^ Cheers~

cholo
08-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Ok, I poked around the internet and found this image as a good reference. The first thing I would do is make an accesibility map, that is, in modeler make a new vertex map for the car and set the initial value for it to be 100%, then select all the polygons that are located in areas that would be inaccesible for light, such as intakes, underbelly, etc... and make them 0% (set your perspective view to weight shade so you can see what you're doing, and the tools for changing the selected points are located in tha Map tab, under set map value. You can also use the airbrush, but I find this method gives me more control.)
Next, take points located in corners and make those 50%. That'll help it look unevenly clean. After that, set it up in a pose similar to the one in the picture and start messing around with the lighting to make it similar to the one in the picture. Just remember to set ambient light to 0 and to make lights slightly off white. Only add shadows to your primary light, and try to keep your fill very low intensity and colored to mimic the real ambient light. Forget radiosity unless you have lots of time. After you're done with this we can start tweaking the surface, ok?

cholo
08-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Btw... this is what we are going to simulate with the vertex map later on...

minilittle
08-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks Cholo, I've saved the pix you posted for the reference (mind to tell me where you found those image? I wish can further research more reference and credit for them in my "special thanks" section on my study report)

For the tips, I'll try on what you've told me. And post as soon as I've completed. (Although I don't really understand what you mean by "vertex map" and "accesibility map", but I'll try to find it out and research more on that...)

Thanks again and I'm really mean it. I really Appreciate your help~ Will work harder to not disapointed you~ ^.^ Cheers~

*ps: Ya, I've visited the thread you mentioned ->"Ford Fiesta", Cool! man~ what you did is really awsome! All my salutes!~ ^.^

glassefx
08-25-2003, 10:41 AM
A vertex map is basically a UV "texture" map that tells LW how much light is allowed to interact with that surface which it is applied to. I am working on a similar project right now... It being a F1 inspired helmet. Did you go to the 2000 U.S. Grand Prix? A little note on gradients used in reflection channels. Note how the real pictures reflections on the body paint are stronger at "glancing" angles and weaker the are as they approach straight-on viewing. Also usind the BDSM surface plugin would allow you to put 2 different surfaces on top of each other to emulate a clear coat which is usually much glossier than the undercoat. I wonder if anyone uses hand-rubbed laquer anymore? It is super glossy with No clear at all.

There are so many surface/lighting options available and all could change depending on the camera angle/setup...You have to respect the talent within this realm for I have seen some really nice renders of highly reflective surfaces which I think are the hardest to do just right.

GO Schuey GO! LOL