PDA

View Full Version : Another animated extrusion question

DB Hansen
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Hello,

I am animating a house build - basically a simple box-house transforms into a more complex model. So far I've been able to do what I wanted with morph targets and things look swell.

Where I'm having trouble is animating the final sidewalk - more or less 8 beveled cement blocks that grow out from the porch and curve toward the driveway. I've been able to achieve this with one morph and some bone deformations for the curved walk. The only thing is that each block grows proportionately until the whole walk is finished. I kind of wanted it to extrude block by block. It's a minor thing - but that's the bane of my existence - pickiness.

I initially tried making 8 separate morph targets on an already curved sidewalk model, each progressing outward block by block (copy morph map>move points>repeat) and it looked great in Modeler, but when I got to morph mixer in Layout, several points went wacko on the X axis, (jutting, flipping inside out) when I compounded sliders.

Any ideas on either how to fix my multiple morphs method, or another way to achieve this?

thanks
DB

marc
05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
You could make the eight blocks eight different objects with one morph map each. Place them in position and then do the extrusion when the time is right. Would that work for you?

Marc

PS: I'd love to see the finished piece.

DB Hansen
05-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I guess that would work. As I'm not totally up on the nuances of animation, what's the trick to getting each compressed block to appear at the right time, just before they extrude?

DB Hansen
05-20-2009, 07:48 PM
object dissolve. yeah.... knew that.

bassmanjam
05-20-2009, 08:26 PM
real animated extrusions....wouldn't it be nice?... nervously awaiting Core.

SteveH
05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I'd do it in After Efects if you have it. One animation/layer without the sidewalk, one with - and an animated mask in AE to have the sidewalk grow to the final build out. Sometime trying to do things in LW only is not the easiest route. Of course...if you don't have after effects then umm....never mind?:hey: