PDA

View Full Version : trueSpace and Caligari close their doors

adamredwoods
05-20-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.cgdigg.com/story.php?title=truespace-story-end

You may have heard that Microsoft Corporation, reacting to difficult business conditions, has been evaluating many of the products it produces and making the difficult decision to reduce investment in certain areas.

It is with regret that I have to tell you that trueSpace is one of the products affected. As a consequence, you will see reduction or elimination of services offered for trueSpace. For example, there will be no phone or email support offered for trueSpace by Microsoft, and our web site may also be affected. While the dates are not absolutely fixed, some services and contacts may come to an end as early as Friday May 22nd 2009, while others will continue as long as possible with no firm cutoff date available yet.

zapper1998
05-20-2009, 05:33 PM
wow bummer

DiedonD
05-21-2009, 12:12 AM
truespace anf Caligari huh!

Dont say!

Another victim to Global Financial Crisis!

akademus
05-21-2009, 03:30 AM
That really is a shame. I started on 3D with trueSpace1 and it was cool back then for what it did. A pretty decent piece of free software now that bites the dust. I wonder what Roman Ormandy will do now? I'm sure he probably got a decent amount of cash from M$.

Oh well... there's still Blender!

Say no more. I started doing 3D in Truespace back in 1996. I made some pretty nice stuff with it. I remember it had menus on the bottom and some damn fine booleans. But I switched to LW year after after I saw some videos made in LW.

Shame. I wonder will AD do some similar cuts if they get into trouble!?

biliousfrog
05-21-2009, 03:54 AM
I didn't like Truespace but, if it wasn't for 3d World giving away the full version of Truespace 3, I wouldn't have got the cross-grade pricing for LW 8.5. Actually, I think that they were responsible for a load of cross-grades to 8.5.

beverins
05-21-2009, 08:08 AM
I actually thought this would happen... microsoft almost killed Softimage too LOL

adamredwoods
05-21-2009, 12:08 PM
I actually thought this would happen... microsoft almost killed Softimage too LOL

Good call. Microsoft just can't do creative...

IMI
05-21-2009, 04:36 PM
I tried Truespace 'back in the day', but just couldn't get into it. Just like Amapi, it seemed too... weird. I dunno, too many icons to remember, all scattered all around the interface borders.
I went with Rhino instead, then on to LW a few years later.
I guess it's sad to see Truespace dying, but it's probably better this way, than to have MS slowly torture it to death for several more years.;)

But....wasn't Truespace free now? How can a free program just go away? Why kill it off, why not just give it to someone or sell it cheap? I bet DAZ would buy it.

prometheus
05-21-2009, 04:57 PM
a shame, true space had some nice modeling tools and nurbs and some
good directx and open gl performances with real time interactivity that higher end apps donīt have.

Unfortunatly true space didnīt overcome itīs bad rumors, and a lot of it has
to do with itīs horrible cluttered icons wich ironicly was supposed to make
life easier and graphicly more appealing to work with.

They had several releases of the software, but didnīt manage to polish
and improve that user interface, Im sure it would have made a significant
impact on how true space is percepted by potentional customers.

Ohh..I believe true space had some interesting dynamics aswell?

Icons can be useful used in right places (not all places) and with a carefuly design representation of the tool and along with text descriptions,
Houdini and modo seems to have understood that part well.

very odd that microsoft bought it, giving it away for free and so soon
evaluate it and ending it.

Michael

Snosrap
05-21-2009, 09:56 PM
What a shame! I started with Caligari24 on the Amiga:D It was cool and had text buttons. Truespace is a icon mess, but I've seen some nice work from it. I do think Roman is a genius and will probably start a new venture or get hooked up with somebody in the 3D world.

safetyman
05-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I, too, started my 3D adventure with TrueSpace back in '95. I had fun with it, but then again, I didn't know any better. :) LW came along a couple of years later, but I still have fond memories of TS and I even got a t-shirt at SIGGRAPH from their booth that I just recently threw away. I still have the free version, but I have yet to install it. Sad news that MS couldn't find a way to utilize it in some way. I agree with you all -- why give it away and then just kill it? Doesn't make much sense.

BigHache
05-23-2009, 07:16 AM
MS bought TrueSpace for their Live Search Maps in an attempt to compete with and one-up Google and Sketchup.

I can't help but wonder if this buyout had not occurred would this closing still have happened. How does a free program go away? It's not generating any profit now so it's a liability in a sense.

geo_n
05-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Shame.....
Whenever something like this happens to a very known software I fear which one will be next. One of the software I use currently or just bought recently. If there's one thing in information technology, everything is despensable, as a programmer said. Maybe in graphic design,too.
Free software can go away since the support and update for it isn't free and ms won't be funding it anymore. The software itself is free but who will develop it further unless there's a strong community like blender comm.

mattclary
05-24-2009, 05:53 PM
They should just open source it.

ercaxus
05-24-2009, 10:10 PM
They should just open source it.
That would be awesome, but I don't think Microsoft likes open source software very much.

DiscreetFX
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Sad to see them die (Caligari) but what kind of business model did they have giving away their 3D App for free? R&D and great programming talent is not free after all. Microsoft kind of did the same thing when they gave IE away for free to kill Netscape. That did not work out for them either in the long run. I remember way back when Microsoft owned SoftImage and that animation program almost died at their hands too.