PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars fan film-Done in Lightwave

bugzilla
05-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Modeled and animated in Lightwave, except for the various spaceship models which I downloaded from SciFi3D.

http://digital-sorcery.com/StarWarsFanFilm.html

adhesiveX
05-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Way too cool man, very well done.

Giacomo99
05-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Really awesome...the animation is very well done.

SAHiN
05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Great effort.. Job well done..

gpdesigner
05-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Dude that video was awesome . . I was seriously watching it with anticipation . . . it may not have been an ILM quality production, but it was damn good.:thumbsup:
gp

littlewaves
05-22-2009, 03:48 AM
firstly, well done on completing this. Must have taken quite some time. I've seen bits of it in progress for a while on your youtube lightwave tutes (thanks for those btw)

It's really nicely edited with some good camera angles and the whole thing hangs together nicely in terms of pacing/music etc.

Just a bit of constructive criticism though... I think you're letting yourself down a bit on the textures and rendering.

I guess on a personal project you were limited in how much time you spent but really I think a solid day of really looking at just some basic texturing stuff like specular (Emperor's clothes look a bit rubbery) and bump (Vader's arms) would have improved it a lot. - Oh and the lightsabers didn't quite cut it for me (no pun intended) - should be a big almost white beam own the middle with the colour glow on the edges

Also maybe a bit of attention to your motion blur settings and dof would give it a more "filmic" look (if that's what you're going for?)

Anyway I'm only nitpicking. I've not done much C.A. other than very brief exercises so I can't say much about that side of things

I'd be really interested to know roughly how many man hours you think you spent and what the working process was for you. For example did you storyboard it first and work towards specific shots or did you animate the whole fight and then go in and pick the shots?

Looking forward to seeing future projects from you.
Have you posted this over at theforce.net fan film forums?

bugzilla
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM
firstly, well done on completing this. Must have taken quite some time. I've seen bits of it in progress for a while on your youtube lightwave tutes (thanks for those btw)

It's really nicely edited with some good camera angles and the whole thing hangs together nicely in terms of pacing/music etc.

Just a bit of constructive criticism though... I think you're letting yourself down a bit on the textures and rendering.

I guess on a personal project you were limited in how much time you spent but really I think a solid day of really looking at just some basic texturing stuff like specular (Emperor's clothes look a bit rubbery) and bump (Vader's arms) would have improved it a lot. - Oh and the lightsabers didn't quite cut it for me (no pun intended) - should be a big almost white beam own the middle with the colour glow on the edges

Also maybe a bit of attention to your motion blur settings and dof would give it a more "filmic" look (if that's what you're going for?)

Anyway I'm only nitpicking. I've not done much C.A. other than very brief exercises so I can't say much about that side of things

I'd be really interested to know roughly how many man hours you think you spent and what the working process was for you. For example did you storyboard it first and work towards specific shots or did you animate the whole fight and then go in and pick the shots?

Looking forward to seeing future projects from you.
Have you posted this over at theforce.net fan film forums?

Thanks for the input. I agree with what you said about the high specularity and texturing. I wanted to get this finished in time for the Atom Films fan film competition and I simply ran out of time. Also, I did this as a learning project so there were alot of tricks I did not know at the time.

I will be posting a "behind-the-scenes" movie on Youtube about the making of this film, but it took roughly 6-7 months of animation and another 2 of editing. The thing that killed me was rendering. I rendered on 3 computers overnight the entire time this was in production.

littlewaves
05-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Well good luck with the Atom films competition.

Have they already accepted your entry? They had a really weird policy about what type of films they took last year and some quite good stuff got turned down whereas loads of really lame camcorder "spoofs" got accepted.

Anyway looking forward to the making of and seriously it's great to see someone putting this much effort into a personal project. I'm sure you've learned a hell of a lot in the process and your next stuff will reap the benefits.

Oh yeah and rendering is a *****.

bugzilla
05-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Well good luck with the Atom films competition.

Have they already accepted your entry? They had a really weird policy about what type of films they took last year and some quite good stuff got turned down whereas loads of really lame camcorder "spoofs" got accepted.

Anyway looking forward to the making of and seriously it's great to see someone putting this much effort into a personal project. I'm sure you've learned a hell of a lot in the process and your next stuff will reap the benefits.

Oh yeah and rendering is a *****.

They just sent me a release form stating that I don't any copyright infringement going on in the film. That's pretty standard for any film festival. I hope I get in since I have noticed exactly what you mentioned. Atom films seems very partial to short spoofs. I don't know how much of a chance I have as a dramatic work, but if it makes it in please vote for me!

littlewaves
05-23-2009, 02:59 AM
but if it makes it in please vote for me!

will do. good luck