PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully simple 3DS Max question

sammael
05-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Hi guys, in max how do you change the camera target so its no longer independent of the camera? I want to lock it to the camera lightwave style. I'm re-learning a bit of max for work related stuff.

Thanks!

cresshead
05-20-2009, 02:10 AM
1. don't use a a target camera...use a free camera...

sammael
05-20-2009, 02:27 AM
tried that but the target still seems to be floating, ill make another...

edit: ok it worked that time :) thanks

I'm also wondering if I can animate the camera movement then somehow normalise the motion afterwards to be a uniform speed or do I have to use splines from the start?

cresshead
05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

I'm also wondering if I can animate the camera movement then somehow normalise the motion afterwards to be a uniform speed or do I have to use splines from the start?

well here's a simple hands on approach to this [there's probably a plugin to do this also]

animate with a free camera and use the walkthru feature...

[the walkthru feature lets you naviagte and animate your camera just like a game..you use the curosr keys for fowrdward,left,right,back the shift and control keys for up and down and the mouse to 'point' the camera]

then select your camera and r buton click it to get the object properties page up
tick the show tragectories...then adjust [move the keys] so that the ticks on the tragectory spline in the viewport look to be the same distance...there's a before and after in this grab...

or use the spline tool and trace over the trajectory and make a spline then add that as the path to the camera and delete the keys...

:thumbsup:

geo_n
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM

If you need to you can change the type from target to free in modifier panel.
You dont have to use splines from the start. Change the default tangents to whatver is needed. Its beside auto key, set key.

sammael
05-20-2009, 10:45 PM
well here's a simple hands on approach to this [there's probably a plugin to do this also]

animate with a free camera and use the walkthru feature...

[the walkthru feature lets you naviagte and animate your camera just like a game..you use the curosr keys for fowrdward,left,right,back the shift and control keys for up and down and the mouse to 'point' the camera]

then select your camera and r buton click it to get the object properties page up
tick the show tragectories...then adjust [move the keys] so that the ticks on the tragectory spline in the viewport look to be the same distance...there's a before and after in this grab...

or use the spline tool and trace over the trajectory and make a spline then add that as the path to the camera and delete the keys...

:thumbsup:

Thanks Steve this is exactly what I need :) .

One other problem... I need to use Vray for render output but there seems to be no Vray for Max 2010 demo as yet and I cant find an older compatible Max demo... it just gives you 2010 :(
If I find a demo of 2009 can I then open my 2010 scene with it?

Intuition
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I think only Vray sp3 can be used in max2010 and its a little buggy at the moment.

Vray sp2 (or sp3) works in max 2009 fine.

cresshead
05-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Thanks Steve this is exactly what I need :) .

One other problem... I need to use Vray for render output but there seems to be no Vray for Max 2010 demo as yet and I cant find an older compatible Max demo... it just gives you 2010 :(
If I find a demo of 2009 can I then open my 2010 scene with it?

maybe pick up a back issue of 3dworld or another cg mag that may have carried an older 3dsmax demo on the disc with the magazine...also remember to look for 3dsViz 2008 as well on those back issues of you don't need character animation

why vray btw?..anything in particular that favors vray of mental ray, final render or brazil?

Hopper
05-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow. A 3DS question on a LightWave forum and no one gave you any crap about it. I think that's pretty damn cool.

Now try asking a LW question on a 3DS forum...

Silkrooster
05-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Wow. A 3DS question on a LightWave forum and no one gave you any crap about it. I think that's pretty damn cool.

Now try asking a LW question on a 3DS forum...

I was thinking the same thing...:D

GraphXs
05-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Hey Cresshead, we use V-Ray over Mental Ray and it is such a time saver. I would say its overall easier to use, and similar to lightwave's renderer. Its clean and doesn't give as many headachs as mental ray has given me in the past. It works fast and is easy to use. The V-Ray (Fprime style) plugin will soon be released..can't wait. The only bad thing is the cost, but work buys it, and once ya use it, its hard to want to ever go back to MR IMO.

I wish I could use LW renderer more. I would love for my team to use it, maybe in the future Core can find a home at my work for all my 3D artist.

GraphXs
05-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Oh, one other thing about V-Ray is all the wonderful default materials you can find on the internet.

Great Stuff....Sorry Newtek for hi-jacking this thread with V-Ray stuff!

Lightwave Rocks!:D

sammael
05-21-2009, 03:40 AM
maybe pick up a back issue of 3dworld or another cg mag that may have carried an older 3dsmax demo on the disc with the magazine...also remember to look for 3dsViz 2008 as well on those back issues of you don't need character animation

why vray btw?..anything in particular that favors vray of mental ray, final render or brazil?

Just because they use Vray at work, can use both LW and Max there so I'm a happy camper. Lots of pre-existing Max stuff and the specific render look required is using Vray. Think I have this sorted now so thanks all for the help.

As for Max question in a LW forum, I know a lot of people here use Max so I figure something as simple as this could be easily answered without me having to sign up to some dodgy Max community :).

cresshead
05-21-2009, 08:47 AM
one of my great hopes for lightwave CORE is to plugin 3dsmax to CORE's renderer...
that would simply be awesome if that could be pulled off.

currently that's newtek's best aspect of lightwave, get that photoreal FAST mo blur a working with node based shading in 3dsmax!

well...that's what i hope for until CORE becomes a full app in a few years time.