PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Import Textures Help

ranchorivera
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
I'm looking into purchasing The Model Bank (click here (http://www.digimation.com/home/Modelbank.aspx)), and I downloaded the demo .3DS models to make sure that they would work with Lightwave 8. The result was that the models were perfectly intact, but the textures were incredibly high contrast... almost inverted, sometimes.

Any suggestions, or solutions?

I can post example pictures if needed.

Thanks,

Daniel

ranchorivera
05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
No help? Is this posted in the wrong forum section? (I'm new here)

cresshead
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
yeah can you post a sample pik of the texture and how it looks in lightwave too for us to have a look at?

monovich
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
check all the basic surface settings, make sure none of them have crazy values, like a specular of -22. Hopefully the texture maps and UVs are fine, usually the rest like reflection, diffuse, spec all have to be redone in LW.

cresshead
05-20-2009, 12:05 PM
thinking about it sometimes .3ds or .obj files imported come in with odd default values such as luminiosity, specular, diffuse and smoothing angles...so set them to a more standard setting.

ranchorivera
05-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the response!

Here's the pictures.

The first picture is how the model looks in the Lightwave 8 interface. Note that the textures are perfect; there's no problem until it's rendered.

The second picture is how the model looks when rendered.

ranchorivera
05-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey, you can even go to http://www.digimation.com/home/Modelbank.aspx?sm=vm and click Free Sample Models and try to load the models yourself.

cresshead
05-20-2009, 02:17 PM
just tried it out...works fine..try re downloading your file...

ranchorivera
05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
You're kidding....

Same problem here still. Did you set anything specific in the 3DS import box?

Maybe it's a problem they fixed with Lightwave 9... (which I don't have...)

AdamAvenali
05-20-2009, 02:35 PM
i dont have 8 installed anymore, but the insect worked just fine in 9.6. left everything default in the import options when it popped up. sorry about the checkerboard, my dongle is at home haha

halley
05-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I also gave it a shot and had no problem with the model. I did however have to adjust some of the smoothing in the texture editor. It also looks like in your version the image maps are used to displace the model. I tried both the .3ds model and a converted to .lwo model with no problems. I wonder if not all your plug-ins are loaded or if it is a version eight issue. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.

halley
05-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Try this object file and see if it works. It’s the same jet model. I just saved out the 3ds model as a lwo. If this model works there may be an issue with how V8 converts the model.

AdamAvenali
05-20-2009, 03:26 PM
It also looks like in your version the image maps are used to displace the model.

i agree. it looks like the map in your render is affecting the bump or dispacement. maybe in ver. 8 the images are just getting connected to the wrong channel.

cresshead
05-20-2009, 04:47 PM
i just loaded it into modeler [not import..load] then saved as lwo and sent it into layout

if all else fails...get the 30day demo of lw9...load into that then save the model as lwo.

bjornkn
05-20-2009, 04:56 PM
It does some wrong connections in 9.6 too. Like putting the environment mapping into the Reflection channel mapping. Still renders fine though, because opacity is set to 10%.

ranchorivera
05-20-2009, 05:06 PM
i just loaded it into modeler [not import..load] then saved as lwo and sent it into layout

if all else fails...get the 30day demo of lw9...load into that then save the model as lwo.PROBLEM SOLVED!!

It seems that Lightwave doesn't like rendering out raw 3DS files. Loading it into modeler, saving as LWO, and rendering in layout makes it work perfectly.

Thanks, all!

~ Daniel :I_Love_Ne

cresshead
05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
yeah we got a result !

cool, have fun with the model!