PDA

View Full Version : What does "free electronic upgrade" mean?

Calamari
08-20-2003, 11:47 PM
I have just noticed that the term "free electronic upgrade" has started to pop up when looking at the upgrade pages. I am now assuming "free electronic upgrade" means no box, cd or manuals... :mad:

When I ordered mine there was no mention that this would be an "electronic upgrade". I was expecting a full box, CD and most importantly some comprehensive manuals, just as every other 3D package vendor supplies with their upgrades.

Newtek: I am a legitimate LW 8.0 owner, treat me as such and send me a FULL version, not just something I would download from some website!

Armando Ruggeri

js33
08-21-2003, 12:00 AM
If you ordered the full version of 8 you will get a box, manuals, cds etc...If you already own LW7.5 and ordered the upgrade with the DFX deal you get the DFX in the box w/manuals,cds and LW cds and 8 will be a download with the docs either online in html or as a downloadable pdf. All this was clearly stated in the upgrade offers. If you want to buy the manuals and get 8 on CD I think they offer that option for a reasonable fee.

Cheers,
JS

julos
08-21-2003, 12:39 AM
I asked the same question a while ago, and i was answered here in this forum that a lightwave 8 would cost you 100$ if you wanted it shipped instead of downloaded (if you bought lightwave 7.5 in april).
Me too i bought Lightwave 7.5 in april as soon as they anounced you'd get Lightwave 8 for free.

julos
08-21-2003, 12:45 AM
here is the thread : http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4487

Chuck
08-21-2003, 05:49 AM
Hi, Armando!

Every one of our information releases regarding the offer to include a free LW [8] upgrade with purchase of a full seat of LW [7.5] or upgrade to LW [7.5] has specified that the free upgrade is electronic. The very first announcement specified that would be by download:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3723

The announcement that users of LW [7.5] could purchase the DFX+ special offer as an upgrade to [8] also specified that the upgrade would be electronic:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5435

The press release provides more complete details of the special offer, including describing the $99 option for hardcopy manuals and packaging:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/06-03-03a.html

The purchase pages on our web site are always based on the text used in our announcements or press releases regarding an offer, and so include the same information.

mattclary
08-21-2003, 06:45 AM
And don't forget this one, Chuck. I bought my upgrade from 6.5 to 7.5 within 30 minutes of Chuck posting this, and I was FULLY aware of the "will receive the LightWave 3D [8] update free, by download" part. I will pay the extra $100 to get the hard copies and still feel like I got a good deal.

Oooops, almost forgot the link:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3725

rabid pitbull
08-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Will this become the standard for upgrades? Will any upgrade in the future require a additional service fee for the manuals and cd's?

Earl
08-21-2003, 10:47 AM
I don't think this will become a standard for upgrades. My guess is that they want to ship version 8 quickly once it's ready - and downloading from the net is by far the quickest way to get it into the users' hands.

Of course part of us are disappointed when we hear we won't receive the box and manuals, but considering the lengths and hoops they went through to secure the DFX+ deal, I'm more than willing to pay the extra $100 bucks for the 'collectors' box (which is all they are nowadays!).

hunter
08-21-2003, 11:06 AM
Myself I will wait or Ablan's new book on 8. I've always found the Newtek manuals lacking. Plus I'll wager Ablan's won't cost $99.

julos
08-21-2003, 12:49 PM
good point hunter ! i didn't think about this one, it's funny that "independant" authors have better books than the insiders...

mattclary
08-21-2003, 02:09 PM
I interpret that as an "Early Upgrade" special. Once 8 is out and you buy an upgarde, I'll pretty much guarantee you you'll get a hard copy. Keep in mind, they aren't "selling" you the upgrade to 8, they are selling you 7.x and giving you a free upgrade to 8.

Earl
08-21-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
Keep in mind, they aren't "selling" you the upgrade to 8, they are selling you 7.x and giving you a free upgrade to 8.

Not true Matt. For users of 7.x, you are ONLY buying the upgrade to [8] (bundled with DFX+).

And technically, the page doesn't even mention it being an electronic upgrade to [8].

You will get LightWave [8] when the software ships, but you will receive DFX+ with Modules 1 & 4 immediately.
If you do not have LightWave [7.5] yet, it is included (software only) in this offer.
This is a limited time offer, so order now!

They specifically say that you'll get the electronic copy of [7.5] if you don't already have it. They should also be clear and say (software only) when talking about 'getting' [8].

However, since it is bundled with DFX+, the small oversight in wording can be excused. :D

And for the record... when I bought this upgrade through NewTek's website, there were no mentions in any of the pages that it was an electronic upgrade. I suspected that it was, but I can easily see how someone would think that they were buying an upgrade with the box and manuals and then be upset when they find out elsewhere that it is not.

Chuck, perhaps someone there can fix the wording on the webpage? Not everyone who goes to NewTek's site reads the forums, so it's quite possible that people will only see this page in regards to buying [8], in which case they would have no clue that it is only an electronic upgrade.
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave+dfx.html

Chuck
08-22-2003, 06:05 AM
Earl, I'm very puzzled - the page you link to has this in the first paragfraph under the bold headline at the top:

Buy LightWave 3D during Siggraph and you'll receive eyeon Software's DFX+ compositing system along with the Visual Effects and 3D Modules for only $1595! In addition to your full copy of LightWave and DFX+ you'll receive a FREE electronic upgrade to version [8] when it ships.

Again, I'm pretty sure when we were doing the team review of the press releases, landing pages, etc., that the information was covered on both. The web staff usually derives the text for Landing pages from the text for press releases or announcements, which are written first. In any case, the information is there now.

Chuck
08-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Ah! You mean specifically the section on the page to buy the LW8 upgrade - yes, I'll have them add that information to that section of the page as well.

Yog
08-22-2003, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't be too sure this electronic manules buisiness is a one off.
Last year Discreet stated that all future upgrades of MAX (inc ver 5.0) would be shipped with electronic manuals only, but that hard copy manuals could be purchased for $99.
It seems it's becoming a trend.

I was pleasantly surprised though that on upgrading to MAX 5.1 a few weeks back that indeed the main manuals were in electronic form, but the large tutorial manual and a seperate what's new manual were also supplied in hard copy.
It would be very nice if Newtek included similar hardcopy quickstart manuals with upgrades.

Earl
08-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Chuck
Ah! You mean specifically the section on the page to buy the LW8 upgrade - yes, I'll have them add that information to that section of the page as well.

Yup, that was it. Sorry I wasn't more specific to that section. Thanks Chuck! As I said before, I'm more than happy to pay the extra $100 for the box/manuals considering that DFX+ was bundled for free. :cool:

Calamari
08-25-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the info, I didn't recall reading about the "electronic upgrade" aspect of it when I signed up, but I probably skipped it in the excitement of the moment :) my apologies.

I am glad to hear I will be able to purchase the box/manuals/cd either way, I'm sorta anal that way that I want to have full copies of everything I own, and it looks cool to have all my boxes up on display ;)

Armando

Earl
08-25-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Calamari
I'm sorta anal that way that I want to have full copies of everything I own, and it looks cool to have all my boxes up on display ;)

You suffer from that too, huh? I thought I was the only one....

(well, when it comes to LW that is..)

Aegis
08-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Not getting the packaging for my 7.5 upgrade when I got DFX+ is turning out to be a major pain - I'm trying to sell it on eBay (it includes a free upgrade to 8 AND Aura 2.5b) and nobody wants it for 550 'cause it's just a CD and a dongle.

Losing $100 worth of packaging and manuals seems to have knocked a lot more than that off the value of my software :(