PDA

View Full Version : Fences, check it out.

TimothyB
05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Has anyone seen Fences from Stardock, which is free. I just came across it and I think I'm going to love it. If you have a lot of icons on your desktop, losing track of things, running out of space, your layout confuses co-workers, or your icons get scrambled all the time, this may be for you. And unlike that WindowsBlinds and stuff from StarDock, they kept this as simple and clean looking as possible.

http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

-- It lets you create grouped icons on your desktop, like a simplistic window with labels.

-- Select icons, create fence, label it.

-- Drag icons in and out of fence.

-- Resize fence, creating a scroll bar to browse the hidden icons, the scroll bar fades away after mouse leaves, keeping it clean looking. Or choose to leave the scroll bar.

-- Drag fences around, multiple monitors, auto aligns with others.

-- Can change the color, transparency, hue, brightness, etc. Helps to blend it with background as if you manually did them in Photoshop. I do this at work, so this will be a nice alternative since now you can fit unlimited icons in the space you make for say current projects.

OTHER GREAT FEATURES WORTH IT ALONE:

-- Auto hide icons. Double click background or blank area of fence to fade icons away. But best of all, you can right click any icon and exclude it. So if you have some important files, programs, you can double click anywhere to hide all except those, also hides the fences. You can even exclude an entire fence from hiding. So in a way, keep most things hidden until you need them.

-- Icon placement history!!!! I hate when a resolution change, or something out of your control resets your icons to the left. You can use this program to take a snapshot with a label. Anytime you can restore to it. If you choose Fence to auto arrange your icons on the first launch, it auto takes a snapshot to reverse the changes The snapshot also records the fences too. I tested it and you see every icon fly across the screen back to where they were, then back to the fences and so on.

Thought I'd share this, seems like such a great idea, why did MS not do this? Or keep this if it was part of an earlier windows I guess.

I came across this when I was looking at their Multiplicity app, which lets you control multiple computers as simple as you do with dual screens on one computer. You just drag your cursor to the monitor of the 2nd computer and it instantly lets you control that one with the same keyboard and mouse, plus things like copy and paste between the computers, directory transfers. So it's like dual monitors, but using two computers, or more with Pro version.

Anyone know of an other useful utilities like these?

meatycheesyboy
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
I just downloaded Fences and while it is cool at first glance, it doesn't work very well. Whenever I edit a file that's in a fence, it moves it outside of the fence. So for example, if I have a word doc in a fence called work and I open the doc and save it, it will ove the file outside the fence to the upper left of my screen.

Admittedly, I didn't spend much time with it so I may have missed something obvious.

TimothyB
05-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I just downloaded Fences and while it is cool at first glance, it doesn't work very well. Whenever I edit a file that's in a fence, it moves it outside of the fence. So for example, if I have a word doc in a fence called work and I open the doc and save it, it will ove the file outside the fence to the upper left of my screen.

Admittedly, I didn't spend much time with it so I may have missed something obvious.

Hmm, I'm on Vista Premium 64 Bit, I right clicked on a jpeg in a fence to open in Photoshop, then I did a save as with the same file name to repace the original, then I minimized and saw the file refresh but still in the fence. I tried just modifying the jpeg by inverting the color, hitting save, it stayed there and the icon updated. I created a text doc, placed it in a fence, double clicked it, typed something, saved, and it stayed in the fence. They also kept their place in the fence.

I wonder what's different. Not a problem for me. I haven't even restarted yet.

meatycheesyboy
05-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Strange, it only happens on some files. Here's a screen capture video that shows the problem in action.

http://screencast.com/t/av61nGzb

*edit* It appears to not work properly with Office 2007. Everything else works fine.

TimothyB
05-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Strange, it only happens on some files. Here's a screen capture video that shows the problem in action.

http://screencast.com/t/av61nGzb

*edit* It appears to not work properly with Office 2007. Everything else works fine.

I see. I just installed it at work, XP Pro system, but we only have Office 2003, since we hardly use it, and that older version doesn't have a problem.

I wonder what Office is doing differently. Maybe changing compatibility to an older system for the Office, for the heck of it, might help if it doesn't effect anything else.

On this system I noticed a change to my dual monitor background that's set to tile. I went to the normal background XP Pro control panel, but no matter what I changed to, it stayed with the first background. I'll restart soon.