PDA

View Full Version : HD Instances flicker on and off

monovich
05-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I've got a problem with HDInstance where my instances are flickering on and off randomly. Has anyone seen this behavior?

I've tried duplicating it with boxes and simple geometry and it isn't showing up, but on my more complex scenes its bad enough that its unusable as a solution.

Any help would be appreciated. I can't F10 until this is fixed...

-Stephen

dwburman
05-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I've had a similar problem. It was kind of an experimental piece so I dropped it rather than working on fixing it. I'm interested in a solution if there is one. I'm still on version 1.x of HD Instance.

-
[edit] I just tried rendering again and now it seems to be working properly. The problem with mine seemed to be that the blocks were changing in scale from frame to frame. I'll attach a vid.

monovich
05-20-2009, 10:54 AM
I still haven't found the problem here. I'm trying F10 renders on individual machines instead of screamernet renders. Once machine does it no matter what, but I'm hopeful that the other machines don't have the problem, which of course might narrow it down to ram or a processor. Whatever the case, this has wasted a huge irreplaceable amount of time. Its so frustrating when things don't just "work" like they should.

joelaff
05-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I saw this before with the latest HD instance. The machines causing it did not have enough RAM. (I think I had to render on only 64bit nodes for that project). You could possibly try lowering the HD Instance RAM cache setting, but then it may render more slowly.

monovich
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
nice. good info. I'll try that out. thanks!

05-27-2009, 07:38 AM
With HDInstance it's vital that all machines are accessing exactly the same LWSN - e.g. 9.5 & 9.3 seem to produce identical renders for procedural textures, but with HDI you get completely different set of objects.

monovich
05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
neither worked. even an F9 render produces flickering still.
BNR is handling my network rendering, so I'm sure all my nodes are identical.

archijam
05-27-2009, 04:46 PM
******. What version of HD I?

monovich
06-04-2009, 01:52 PM
the latest, which ever that is.

lightfoot97
07-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I have also a hd-scene, where I have lots and lots and lots and ... of instances. - HDInstance version 2.something, but the stuff is flickering.
Very randomly different instances vanish for one frame. :(

Have you already found a solution to this?

07-06-2009, 03:49 AM
Other than stuffing in more memory ?

lightfoot97
07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
ouch!
I reduced the memory from 600 to 300. Suddenly a branch reappeared!
I reduced the memory from 300 to 150. Suddenly a missing shamrock showed itself ...
(I just read the thread more carefully)

Thanks for the hint with the ram, Adrian!
Seems I'll have to upgrade my Quad1 from XP to windows7 (my Quad2 already has windows7 and 8 gig) :)

And now, lets see if I can make the fallen leaves reappear ... :hey:

07-06-2009, 10:58 AM
64 bit rules I'm afraid, memorey is made for it! & I'm running LW on Windows 7, pre-release ?, it's faster than XP and makes vista look like a real sad mistake.
PS no data at all on my workstation though - I'm not daft, (& even my LW installatrion is on the server too)

biliousfrog
07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I found severe problems with using any kind of weight map to adjust scale and distribution, it might be a problem with that.

BTW, I found the support from Happy Digital to be less than useless, basically an email requesting more information a couple of weeks after my initial support request and when I did I heard nothing back!

monovich
07-07-2009, 02:17 PM
that might explain why mine was flickering. mine was all weightmaps all the time.

archijam
07-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I usually get a response, but I'm not usually complaining : )

Check your pm's monovich.