PDA

View Full Version : Hugely oversized bones

Darth Mole
05-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Okay, I'm trying to rig something, but when I draw a bone or a child bone, or convert skelegons to bones, they're frigging HUGE! what gives? I'm on LW 9.6 on Mac which has been giving me stirling service all week.

Is there some hidden 'Draw frigging huge bones' option that I've checked by mistake somewhere?

Darth Mole
05-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Ah - I've found a 'Bone Icon Size' slider. Panic over (still a bit weird though).

IMI
05-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey you know, also if you keep the properties panel open as you draw them, you can manually input a size, in percentage, for each at the bottom of the panel.

LightWave seems to assume all our characters are 50 meter tall monstrosities, I guess. ;)
I think the default size is based on default units and grid size.

Darth Mole
05-18-2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah, that's just odd given that Layout defaults to a 1m grid. A bug, surely?

IMI
05-18-2009, 05:36 AM
I don't think it's a bug, I think it's got to have been planned that way.
If you open a blank scene and click create bone, it creates a one meter long bone, by default. Of course then you adjust the rest length to get it how you want it.
So obviously they intended that our people's bones would all be one meter long. ;)

Yeah, it would be cool if Layout looked at the part of the geometry you were drawing the bone at and automatically compensated, but I'm pretty sure that the way it is isn't a bug.

Otterman
05-18-2009, 05:46 AM
Fellas-there is also an "Auto-sized Bones" option buried in the Display preference panel under "Handles and Icons". Should save you some time instead of editing each and every bone size. Works a treat!

IMI
05-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Fellas-there is also an "Auto-sized Bones" option buried in the Display preference panel under "Handles and Icons". Should save you some time instead of editing each and every bone size. Works a treat!

Yeah, I thought that's what he meant in his second post, that he had found that.
But still, although you can adjust the default size, you can't adjust the relative size of the icons. What I meant was that it would be cool if LW would make your icons smaller as your geometry gets smaller. For example, if you draw a forearm bone, then a wrist bone, then a hand bone and a series of bones for a finger, each bone icon will be the same size unless you adjust them individually, while your geometry has gotten significantly smaller between that first forearm bone and the last fingertip bone.
Relatively, the bone icons stay the same size, though the lengths will differ if you're drawing them out.

Matt
05-18-2009, 06:55 PM
"Hugely oversized bones"

I get emails advertising pills for this every day! :D

IMI
05-18-2009, 07:27 PM
"Hugely oversized bones"

I get emails advertising pills for this every day! :D

Oh man, that was just totally uncalled for. :D