PDA

View Full Version : World In Conflict: Soviet Assualt - awesome cagey!

jin choung
05-16-2009, 12:34 AM
so i bought soviet assualt a few weeks ago but didn't get any farther than installing it. just didn't have time.

had my first game tonight (tutorial and first mission [invasion of west berlin]) and i gotta say, it is SHOCKINGLY good!

it probably deserved to do a LOT better than it did (even if it did very very well!).

from the pre-rendered cut scenes to the in game cinematics (where the facial animation is really SHOCKINGLY good... the eyes are remarkably NOT dead for real time game animation and the poses that the faces hit, like the way a character holds his lips and the really subtle expressions that they achieve [like "bemusement"!] is really really really shocking) to the way that tanks intelligently find the best way to a designated point (turn while moving forward or simply reversing or turning while reversing!) to the again - shockingly appropo and funny tears for fears song used for the credits.....

just really... shockingly well done!

seriously, it's unfair that this series didn't get more press and more fanfare.

and if the rest of the game holds up to what i've experienced so far, which i fully expect, this is gonna be a pretty awesome experience.

anyway, for any fans of real time tactical with no base building (thank goodness!) or unit production (yay!), highly recommended! it's friday night and i'm tired as [email protected]#$ but there were so many moments in the few minutes of gameplay where i was muttering HOLY SH1T! HOLY SH1T?!

and kudos to our very own cageman who worked on it! very well done man!

jin

p.s. my ONLY critique is how WASD is used for camera nav. WASD navigation itself is a BRILLIANT idea... but they always move according to "world coordinates", not "viewer coordinates" which is more familiar for fps players... but it is a small niggle.

but changing the speed of movement according to height off the ground is also a really well thought out, brilliant little idea that adds so much and shows that the developers really are paying attention to their genre.

Cageman
05-18-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Jin, that is very kind of you to say. :)

p.s.

I'm actually playing WIC Complete myself (the single player campaign) and got hooked quite fast (I havn't had the chance to play Soviet Assault missions before) and I had to force myself to turn off the computer and go to bed. :) I feel very lucky to have been a part of creating such a tremedeous game.

:)

Cageman
05-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Oh and btw Jin, I hope you didn't miss this one:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96306&highlight=motionbuilder

:)