PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.6 RAM allocation

cwarden
05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Any way to use more than 3 gigs of RAM on a Mac?
When my scene creeps toward 3 gigs when rendering, it runs out of memory. (Lots of particles)

After doing some searching on the forums, 4gigs seems possible on a PC.

Otterman
05-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Urgh-dont get me started on that! Its because the pc version of lightwave is 64-bit! 32bit apps can only access 3gig hence your problem. The Newtek bods are working on a version for us as we speak but its gonna be at least two months before you'l see the light of day with that!!!!

In the meantime-several render passes and a good post comp application is your friend! Frustrating to say the least

eblu
05-15-2009, 08:33 AM
otter,
why 2 months?

do you know something I don't?
I thought the release date was set to: "when its done... sometime, soon-ish, we think... don't quote us" (darn! I broke the rule!)

Otterman
05-15-2009, 08:46 AM
eblu where you been man? Have you not been reading the threads started by Chuck and Jay in the mac section?.....they've both banded the two months thang around....havnt they?

Oo heck perhaps i mis-interpreted it and its gonnna be never!

John the Geek
06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
eblu where you been man? Have you not been reading the threads started by Chuck and Jay in the mac section?.....they've both banded the two months thang around....havnt they?

Oo heck perhaps i mis-interpreted it and its gonnna be never!

I'd say January 2010 is a reasonable date based on past experience. (and I'm not being cynical either. I'm serious.)

Kuzey
06-02-2009, 06:40 AM
The two month period is an estimation on the beginning of the 9.6+ Cocoa beta....not the final Gold release.

They already took a detour to tackle the audio problems in the Mac version...which is great in my view :hey:

Kuzey

Scazzino
06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
As for RAM on the Mac also keep in mind that the more threads used, the more RAM needed. I have a scene that's bumping against the memory limits now (Hits about 3.82GB) and I can render it with two threads OK but if I try it with any more, up to all eight, it runs out of RAM. Once that happens I can no longer render it with two threads, which indicates some type of memory leak. When it runs out of RAM during a render it fails to clear something so that subsequent renders that normally would work also fail. When this happens I have to quit and relaunch LW to be able to render the scene with 2 threads again. I haven't had time to optimize the scene yet so that I'll be able to use all 8 threads again.

In this case you could use ScreamerNet to render with multiple instances each using 2 threads, and up to 3.82GB each, for as many threads and RAM available.

JonW
06-03-2009, 06:29 PM
This should be the same on the Mac. If you have been using anything other than “Bounding Box” in Layout, once you are ready to render, save the scene with every View Port using bounding boxes. close & reopen. You can free up a stack of ram.

Don’t peek using Wire Frame, Texture etc or you will use up ram. I had a scene recently & with just the camera viewport as Texture, Layout needed another 2 gb or ram.

Ram is not an issue for my as I have 16 gb on the main box, but I still do the above as things are a bit more responsive even with a GTX280.

Otterman
06-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Yep as Scazzino suggests, ive found restarting layout and rendering from afresh does indeed help along with JonW's recommendation of changing to bounding box in your viewports. Better still, only have one viewport!

Ive also found that 9.3 is has better management of ram usage than the more hungry 9.6 monster. Reverting back to it has saved my hind a few times.

Bring on 64bit i say-I cant wait!!!!

Scazzino
06-04-2009, 09:51 AM
You could also of course render in ScreamerNet quite easily by dragging and dropping a scene file on the free lite version of my DLI_SNUB-Launcher (http://dreamlight.com/webshop/utilities/snublauncher.html). ScreamerNet should be able to use all 3.82GB or so of RAM for rendering without wasting any for an interface or viewports.

JonW
06-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Scazzino,
Very good idea!

I assume this is the same for the Mac (I have 2 Macs but have only ever done SN on the PCs). If one has 2 Macs, even a prehistoric Mac, Launch Screamernet on the old Mac & only use the fast computer for a Render Node (In LW set the number of Threads to Automatic) if you are only doing a single frame.

On the PC rendering via SN is a lot slower but if you are short on ram it could save the day. You donít even need to open the scene once set up & its ready to render because you are only giving SN a file to render. (Once one has SN running, its then a piece of cake to add Nodes as you acquire more computers)

Its worth looking into SN or other render farm applications, its really helps one get their act together & have a good tidy set-up & file naming (no-spaces-in-names-either), you just have to be organised for SN, but it helps in so many other ways.

Also you may be able to trim the fat off some of your bit maps and cut them down to scale, one gets very lazy here, I have 4000 pixel maps which are going to be Tileable on a 3000 pixel render, madness!!! Bump maps only need to be BW, save as greyscale PNGs

Another option is to render through a Shift camera, eg divide your frame into 4 & render in 4 quarters or 4 strips etc, or even 8 sections if necessary, but there will be some radiosity issues. http://www.3dcreativemag.com/artists/issue024_aug07/tutorial02.pdf Setting up a camera this way is also really good if you want to fly around an object and change the perspective of the camera but not change its position &/or tilt.

Scazzino
06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I assume this is the same for the Mac (I have 2 Macs but have only ever done SN on the PCs).

Yes of course. I only use Macs (http://dreamlight.com/insights/10/welcome.html). ;)

virtualcomposer
06-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Two months to Beta? I would sign up for that. I love beta because it always seems like I get something new everyday to download. I two want to increase my usage of RAM since I have 4 gigs but would love to utilize 7 gigs for render to make it faster and use the threads more efficiently.