PDA

View Full Version : Dongle and license transfer issues

steverino
05-14-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I've just bought Lightwave 4 (intel PC) with a parallel dongle, and Lightwave 7 upgrade second hand from an ebay user, and am trying to work out the licensing and transfer issues. I haven't got the software delivered yet, but am trying to figure out what the procedure for transfer is, to avoid delays when I get it.

I've looked around, and googled, but haven't managed to figure out how some of this works, so I'd be grateful if anyone could answer any of these questions

1) Is there a way of arranging the license transfer online? The only reference I can find seems to be to snail mail to a US address (I am in the UK).

2) If I have to snail mail the transfer request, will I still be able to use the software while I'm waiting, or will it only activate/install for a registered owner?

3) Is there a way of exchanging the dongle for a USB model without great expense or hassle?

4) Any chance whatsoever of getting it to run on Vista (ideally 64)?

I know it's an old version, but I'm hoping to use it to learn enough so that it would be worthwhile for me to upgrade to a new version.

cheers,
steverino

Magnetix
05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Do a search on this forum(licensing and transfer). There is a fee for changing type of dongle, and there is a form that has to be filled out and signed by both parties, then sent to NT.

Dexter2999
05-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I bought a lincense of LW from a user here on the forums.
He sent Newtek an email saying he sold the license to me.
I sent the request giving his and my info. They checked their records to confirm they had his email and swapped it over to me. No snail mail.

The dongle swap will cost.

I don't think Lightwave 7 will run on a 64 bit machine unless you run it in 32bit compatability mode. For a true 64bit experience you will need to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Zane Condren
05-14-2009, 11:20 AM
Contact our European Distributor NewTek Europe at http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/contacts/contact.html and they will process your request.

steverino
05-14-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will contact the European distributor to get it transfered, and to find out what the cost of swapping the dongle would be.

I understand that old software won't work better on vista 64, but as far as I know, Vista 64 should run properly constructed 32 bit software correctly, though it may have issues with older / non-standard 32bit software, and will refuse to run 16 bit stuff.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of running older lightwave versions in Vista 64, and whether there are any particular problems with doing so (eg. I suspect parallel dongle compatibility may be an issue). I'm also unsure whether version 7 is totally 32bit, or whether there might be some older legacy code in there somewhere.

I have a few machines with various hardware and OS, so it's not a big problem either way, but it would be more convenient to run it on the vista machine if possible.