PDA

View Full Version : cache mesh freeze

zardoz
05-14-2009, 09:06 AM
When rendering, if our scene has lots of objects, subpatched or not, lightwave can take some/a lot of time in the 'Mesh Freezing' part...maybe this mesh freezing could be cashed?

When we're experimenting with lights or surfaces and the mesh doesn't change, I guess a cache could be created...

metallo
09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
zardoz,

i have the same question and am wondering if you found a solution. i am facing the same thing. i am using textures to effect subdivision, i have some areas more divided that others. when i do a "save transformed" in layout, i only get the basic subdivision, it is not taking advantage of my textures.

i think i will set my subdivisions with texture maps and nulls (distance to nulls) and let it stay that way for the duration, so a cache on this would be great.

on a 3 minute render, a good 15 to 20 seconds is mesh displacement and 30 seconds is on radiosity...so i'm trying to create a baked solution for both.

thanks

Skywatcher_NT
10-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Add clothFX on obect(s) and under file tab save motion.
There's your cache.

Remoc
02-13-2011, 05:14 AM
I have a large circus complex with many many seats and detail.
Mesh freezing for each frame rendered takes about 27 sec.

I tried applying ClothFX, set the scene to one frame only.
Then presed the calculate button. took about 10 minutes.
Then saved the resulting mdd file.

Then I set the frames back to 375 ( 15 sec. TVC ) and did a F9 render.

But alas.... it still does the mesh freezing first.. and then goes
into the part that works out clothfx. ( with gave me an error anyway - "Cloth FX: Format Error").

Is there a solution to not have the " mesh freeze " for every frame?
The model I need this for does not deform & stays static throughout the animation.

Sensei
02-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Is there a solution to not have the " mesh freeze " for every frame?

Ctrl-d in Modeler?

probiner
02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
...subpatched or not...

So if Subdivision is not the thing making them freeze, what is it then? Lots of objects in different layers?

probiner
02-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Zardoz, when you set the display subpatch level to be the same as the render level this mesh freeze won't take place, it's already cached and you don't need to freeze in modeler =)
Sure you won't be able to navigate much, but if you temporarily set the boundary box threshold low, it's OK no?

Above post question still unanswered =P

Saudações

probiner
02-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Ah now i understand... Display Level loads in RAM, you wanted an HDD file cache, because memory won't be enough for the ammount of objects in the scene. I had similar "request" for Dpont's Curvatures Node.

Cheers

archijam
02-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Bump!

Needed probiner's request here today .. with F9 renders you can waste half a day if you have a big model (and therefore high subs in viewport are not an option) ..

+1 !

(In my case, the 'memory' used was on disk, and was 6 gig on my startup disk .. luckily I did not run into issues ..)

Greenlaw
02-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Hi,

If I understand the issue here, try setting your subpatch preview setting to match the object's subpatch render setting before you submit the scene to your farm. This prevents Screamernet from doing long 'mesh freezing' conversions for every single frame and in some cases (i.e., highly detailed character or multiple characters,) it can speed up your render times significantly.

At work we have an in-house plug-in that automatically makes sure all subpatch preview settings are matched to the subpatch render settings before we submit. This is optional of course because you probably don't want to do this with just any scene file.

Maybe LW should have a similar option built-in that gives you the option you click render or submit to a farm?

G.

Greenlaw
02-18-2012, 06:53 PM
I should point out that this trick isn't as useful for F9 test renders since setting your preview setting to match render will obviously slow down your openGL performance. This trick is really meant for Screamernet rendering.

vector
03-04-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi,

If I understand the issue here, try setting your subpatch preview setting to match the object's subpatch render setting before you submit the scene to your farm. This prevents Screamernet from doing long 'mesh freezing' conversions for every single frame and in some cases (i.e., highly detailed character or multiple characters,) it can speed up your render times significantly.

At work we have an in-house plug-in that automatically makes sure all subpatch preview settings are matched to the subpatch render settings before we submit. This is optional of course because you probably don't want to do this with just any scene file.

Maybe LW should have a similar option built-in that gives you the option you click render or submit to a farm?

G.

Will be that plugin available at anytime :) ? It would be nice :)