PDA

View Full Version : How to modify existing LiveSet

TIMECARE
05-14-2009, 06:02 AM
We own Tricaster Studio 2.5 which contains a number of LiveSets. Some of these LiveSets have background photos of city scenes which I would like to change. Can someone give me specific instructions on how to do this? I just downloaded Lightwave 3D version 9.6, of which I am not an advanced user! I just wish to modify the sets so that I can make them realistic for the country I live in.

Thanks in advance!

joseburgos
05-14-2009, 06:15 AM
LW has a learning curve and never really has an "easy" answer but I will try.
Load the scene of the LiveSet you want. Open the images panel and select the image of the present background you want to change. Click on replace and select the image you want to use. You have now put your image in every location the original image was mapped to in surfaces.
Now follow the render LiveSet portion of the plug-in instructions to create the shots you want (LiveSet master plug-in).

Note, unless the size of the image is identical and area of interest is identical, the image will not display in the LiveSet exactly the way you want but this is the only "easy" answer to your question.

Take care,

TIMECARE
05-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Thanks for your reply. One other thing: Where are the LiveSets stored in the Tricaster Studio? Thanks for all your help :)

billmi
05-14-2009, 08:23 AM
To expand a little bit on what Jose said....

You can't modify a LiveSet, there are no tools or software for that.

There are 3D models and scenes from which some of the stock LiveSets were made included with the LiveSet plugin for Lightwave. If it's one of those sets that you want to change, that is relatively easy to do, as Jose described. You would be making a new LiveSet from those same models and scenes.

As the LiveSet directory varies with the particular software (I don't know if it's the same on all Triaster models, and I believe it's different there than VT) the easiest thing to do is look for it on the C: drive using the Windows search utility. The directory is called VSFX.

jcupp
05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Tricasters: c:\TriCaster\user data\default user\VSFX
VT[5] (default install): c:\program files\newtek\vt5\user data\default user\VSFX

TIMECARE
05-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Ok, I downloaded and installed LightWave LiveSet Generator. I also browsed to my LiveSet folder in Tricaster and copied a LiveSet called Midday (can be seen here http://www.newtek.com/liveset/images/midday_lg.jpg). Can someone walk me through changing the background image of the lake & boats to an image I want?

Thanks in advance.

billmi
05-25-2009, 01:20 PM
You can't do that.

The LiveSet generator for LightWave will generate LiveSets, it will not edit LiveSets that have already been made. There are no tools available for editing LiveSets.

There are some LightWave scene files included with the LiveSet generator that were used to generate LiveSets. You can modify those, and make new LiveSets as variants of the originals, but the scene for Midday is not included with the pluggin, so that is not an option in this case.

The only route you would have for making a different version of Midday would be saving screen shots of each of its camera angles, then using those as background plates in new LiveSets you create.

To pull that off, you'd need take a screen shot of the LiveSet camera angle you want with no video showing in the key area. Using a graphics or compositing app (Aura, Photoshop, etc.) you'd need to replace the image showing outside the window. Then you'd need to make a model approximating the shape of the set, and projection map the image onto it. You'd need to so the same with the desk - setting some reflectivity in its top surface. It would take some jockying of the camera position and set objects to get them to properly line up with their projection mapped surface. Then you'd put your video object behind the desk. Easiest on the lighting would be to use no lighting and all surfaces 100% luminous - since shadows and shading are already in the image, any new specularity or shadows would look wrong. Then render it out to a LiveSet with the pluggin.

Pulling something off like this - building a new LiveSet by compositing still screenshots of an existing LiveSet - would typically by quite a bit easier in Aura. However, in this case, where there are distorted reflections, like on the tile floor, and that's a part that you want to change, LightWave might be the better approach.

TIMECARE
05-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the reply Billmi.

A number of people are stating that you cannot modify LiveSets that come with Tricaster on Lightwave. THis is confusing me because recently I saw a a NewTek Demo at http://www.newtek.com/demo/archive.php (choose March 31 2009 Tricaster Demo on the right), and at 06min 18sec, Don Balance says "...can I modify the ones (LiveSets) that come with Tricaster, and the answer to that question is a resounding yes." They then demonstrate changing a background photo from a LiveSet that comes with Tricaster by using Lightwave, although they do not give specific instructions. So there is someone from the NewTek team saying that you CAN modify LiveSets that come with Tricaster. Now all I need are simple instructions on how to go about this, because he makes it look as though it's very simple indeed!!

Thanks in advance.

joseburgos
05-26-2009, 06:31 AM
You can not modify an already generated LiveSet. You can modify a LW LiveSet scene file all you want including changing the images as I described early on.
In your LW directory, you should now have a \LiveSet Example Content folder after you installed the LW LiveSet plug-in. In this folder are all the LW scene files that can be modified and new LiveSet generated from.

The images in the VSFX folders are icon images (.png/.jpg) that are used in the switcher to view the set and the camera angles. They are not the generated LiveSets. The .vsfx files are the LiveSets.

I am not speaking for anyone when I say this but easy is a relative term. Changing something from an existing LW scene is easy for me but I have been using LW for a very, very long time. But LW can be learned and you don't have to be a computer programmer to use it so in a relative term, it is easy.

Take care,

SBowie
05-26-2009, 06:53 AM
A number of people are stating that you cannot modify LiveSets that come with Tricaster on Lightwave.

Snip ...

So there is someone from the NewTek team saying that you CAN modify LiveSets that come with Tricaster. Now all I need are simple instructions on how to go about this, because he makes it look as though it's very simple indeed!!To a degree, both are correct:

You cannot directly modify LiveSets
If you have the original LW Scene (and Object) files that were used to create a LiveSet, you can edit that scene and then generate a new, modified LiveSet using the LW LiveSet plugin.

Let's consider #1 in simplest terms: a look at the VSFX folder on a TriCaster reveals folders named for each LiveSet. Inside these are many files and another folder. Each named "Shot" can have as many as 4 invididual thumbnails and "vsfx" files. For example, for PrimeTime, there are Left, Center, Right and Align Camera files. Further, inside the DVEData folder are variants of the actual vsfx files in both image aspects for either NTSC and PAL. You cannot directly modify these vsfx files.

While we're discussing this LiveSet structure, it's worth noting that creating a new, single LiveSet "view" (say, left camera angle close up) can be done fairly simply - if you don't need it, you don't need to create all of the vsfx file variants (PAL, NTSC, etc.) But if you do want a full-blown multi-shot and multi-angle LiveSet, you're going to have to learn this file structure and nomenclature, and generate each individual angle and distance. There are various approaches to doing this, and I'm sure after you get the basics down people here will help if you run into a snag.

Let's move to #2: In the demo video, the presenter mentions that he has the LW Scene and Object files originally used to generate the LiveSet on his system. He proceeds to load the corresponding scene file into LightWave. He then performs about the most basic modification one could do, swapping out an image. (At the simplest level, all you'd need to do in this case would be to locate the image in question in LW's Image Editor and use the Replace function.)

He then mentions that from this point, you can generate a new LiveSet and move it to your TC - and that is entirely correct. The docs with the LiveSet plugin for LW explain how to do this. Again, though generating a single LiveSet camera angle and view is one thing and fairly simple - but creating a fully populated LiveSet after the fashion of the ones supplied with TC is somewhat more complex. That said, it's not rocket science, and once you've created a few single examples, you'll be ready to tackle more complex setups.

I'm not really sure whether the list of LW Scenes and Objects for all the LiveSets currently shipping with TC are included with the plugin or not. Around the time of TC2, the included LiveSet list changed somewhat. Someone else may be able to confirm that one way or another.

To summarize, you cannot directly edit a LiveSet, but if you have the LW Scene it was based on, you can modify the scene in LW and create a new LiveSet. That said, LiveSets can be simple or complex, and creating them can likewise be simple of complex. Hope this helps.

stenka
08-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Im also looking into changing some things and adding logos to the ready live sets.

It would be right to have the files available so the learning curve using Lightwave would be easier.

So if its possible please make the template files available for easy modifications.

duaneabler
07-18-2011, 06:00 PM
So my question is, how difficult would it be to take the Demo Set that comes on the TC Studio and remove the desk, leaving the credenza and all other elements in place as is?
Thanks, Duane

joseburgos
07-18-2011, 06:13 PM
If you own and know how to use LightWave plus you download the LiveSet plugin for Lightwave, you should not have a hard time doing this.

studioemily
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Now follow the render LiveSet portion of the plug-in instructions to create the shots you want (LiveSet master plug-in)
Take care,

Can you clarify this or tell me where I can find those instructions?

joseburgos
08-03-2011, 12:44 PM
LiveSet Quickstart.pdf
It should be in your LW directory after you install the plug-in.

Take care,

studioemily
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
It's saying I don't have the plugin but I know I downloaded it. Is there additional steps I need to take to install it into lightwave? I can't find the root plugin file to try to connect it. Where would it be?