PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge #38 - From Japan.

JCG
05-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge #38 - From Japan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - From Japan.

(Well, it seems to be the topic of the week in the LW Community forum).

Any product, architectural detail, landscape, historical artifact, weapon, game show host, or dish from Japan. Anything from their flora, fauna, bestiary, folklore, anime, or manga...

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 20 May 2200 GMT.

Because of the special circumstances surrounding challenge #37, I didn't know if I should wait to post this. In the end, I thought that if we wait until 37 is judged, the traditional Wednesday challenge end date that most people have gotten used to and rely upon would have to get shifted permanently. So I guess that it's better to just let the two challenges overlap and, during these first days, everyone can participate in whichever one they like, or on both of them.

JCG
05-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm going to start this with a photorealistic model of a ninja.

In the render you will notice how the ninja moves in absolute darkness. The model of the ninja is so accurate that you can't even see its wireframe. That's how stealthy they are!

Beat that!

JCG
05-14-2009, 02:15 AM
And another one. This time it's a :cat: that came from there.

I am on fire!

flakester
05-14-2009, 05:05 AM
I am on fire!

lmfao!!

Dang right, you're rolling rocks with these!
Great choice of subject. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

THREEL
05-14-2009, 06:11 AM

In the render you will notice how the ninja moves in absolute darkness. The model of the ninja is so accurate that you can't even see its wireframe. That's how stealthy they are!

Beat that!

Don't forget to tell us your modeling time.

0 Sec.

A new world's record! :D

IMI
05-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Beat that!

Dude, that is AMAZING!
You are absolutely right - I can't see him at all. Which means that not only is he an exceptional ninja, but you are an exceptional modeler and ninja animator.
Outstanding! ;)

AdamAvenali
05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
so i may have lucked out because the soap box car i was planning on doing has its roots in japan. dual-entry! haha

oobievision
05-14-2009, 01:25 PM
oh sweet ill work on this right away! too bad only 60 min

Yamba
05-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Nice simple one to get the ball rolling. 10 minutes modeling, lots of time texturing. I'll have another go to do something a little more elaborate if time permits

Brilliant work JCG, the definition modeled in less than 60 minutes, oh I only wish I could achieve that sort of result.

Shane

MooseDog
05-15-2009, 06:54 AM
bento box:

(about 45mins. modeling, another hour texturing and lighting)

oobievision
05-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Ok heres mine from the anime Bleach, Ichigo's Bankai Zanpakto took 40 mins on the sword about 1.5 hours on texturing and setup and Fprime to render.

oobievision
05-15-2009, 09:47 AM
heres the rest of the wires, and I would be happy to share the model

JCG
05-15-2009, 11:57 PM
What a good start! Some great modeling and also very representative.

AdamAvenali
05-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Final Fantasy 7 - Cloud Strife Buster Sword (Advent Children)

Modeling Time: 55 minutes
Texture/Rendter Time: 15 minutes

I love me some FF :thumbsup:

oobievision
05-16-2009, 09:58 PM
sweet adam did u model that as 1 sword or as all of them? by the way thats not the buster sword. the buster sword is the one that gets kicked down at the begining of the movie.

Kuzey
05-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Hhaha...JCG, nice topic...I like your sense of humor. And that was a great bellows tutorial btw :thumbsup:

Great models so far :thumbsup:

Kuzey

AdamAvenali
05-17-2009, 09:18 AM
sweet adam did u model that as 1 sword or as all of them? by the way thats not the buster sword. the buster sword is the one that gets kicked down at the begining of the movie.

i was using this as my reference (http://www.globalgear.com.au/prod2465.htm) so i just title it the way they had it haha i'm actually not familiar with the movie as much as i am with the game so i just took their word for it. after some research it appears to be called the First Tsurugi. and as far as being in parts, it is somewhat broken up, but definitely not 100% accurate when disassembled. i want to revisit this one in a less "speed modeling" fashion haha

colkai
05-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Chino vase and pot :)
Took about 20 mins all told to model and UV.

oobievision
05-17-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah ive been looking for good references I had a good one of all the swords but lost the files

EDIT: here I found some refs. Swords 4 even though u cant see it has their hilt split in half so when they combine with the battle mode they form the 1 hilt shown.

oobievision
05-17-2009, 02:56 PM
heres my second entry 52min modeling didnt finish it but looked good enough to post.

Organic modeling, 30min texturing, 20 min lighting, 5min render fprime with radiosity, image world backdrop.

Also included reference image.

Ernest
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Why is everyone using Layout tripled wireframes in a modeling contest?

oobievision
05-17-2009, 03:10 PM
cause I actually trippled the geometry so there was really no difference

Ernest
05-17-2009, 03:22 PM
That's definitely a good reason. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
05-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Haha...here's another samurai helmet...but I only got as far as the mask :D

About 70 minutes..so no render from me...but I will redo this one :hey:

Kuzey

flakester
05-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Absolutely wonderful stuff so far folks! :thumbsup:
Digging the Bento box, the FF Sword and the masks especially.

One of my fave things from Japan for my first entry; Pocky. You can find more info on it here if you wish: Wiki Link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky)

A relaxed 21 mins for the modelling. About 15 mins for the layout with materials and stuff. Longer than I care to mention for the Fprime cook on my old home pootah. :|

Model available should anyone want it.

--
flakester

JCG
05-18-2009, 02:16 AM
You cheater!
You know my weakness!!

The wiki link is one thing but the really useful link is: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=pocky&x=0&y=0

:heart: mmmm poooocky!

oobievision
05-18-2009, 08:15 AM
hmmm I think we will eventually have to revisit this one perhaps with a longer time period

JeffrySG
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Absolutely wonderful stuff so far folks! :thumbsup:
Digging the Bento box, the FF Sword and the masks especially.

One of my fave things from Japan for my first entry; Pocky. You can find more info on it here if you wish: Wiki Link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky)

A relaxed 21 mins for the modelling. About 15 mins for the layout with materials and stuff. Longer than I care to mention for the Fprime cook on my old home pootah. :|

Model available should anyone want it.

--
flakester

Those look yummy! Nice render too!

JeffrySG
05-18-2009, 09:56 AM
heres my second entry 52min modeling didnt finish it but looked good enough to post.

Organic modeling, 30min texturing, 20 min lighting, 5min render fprime with radiosity, image world backdrop.

Also included reference image.

The mask looks really nice. Looks pretty close to the reference image!

JeffrySG
05-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice simple one to get the ball rolling. 10 minutes modeling, lots of time texturing. I'll have another go to do something a little more elaborate if time permits

Brilliant work JCG, the definition modeled in less than 60 minutes, oh I only wish I could achieve that sort of result.

Shane
These came out really nice. I like the render too. :)

Final Fantasy 7 - Cloud Strife Buster Sword (Advent Children)

Modeling Time: 55 minutes
Texture/Rendter Time: 15 minutes

I love me some FF :thumbsup:

Kick a** sword! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
05-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Here's my entry. It's a Japanese Torii. It's based off of this photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffrysg/571551972/) that I took while I was in Japan.

About 50min of modeling on this one - all subd. I might go back and try to texture it up too.

edit: just added the color render.

flakester
05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Here's my entry. It's a Japanese Torii. ~
edit: just added the color render.

That's pretty sweet Dude. :thumbsup: Has good form.

--
flakester

flakester
05-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Second entry: Kendama.

50 minutes for the modelling, about 45 minutes for the layout.
Very simple geometry for the most part, but the model is still available if anyone wants it.

--
flakester

oobievision
05-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Second entry: Kendama.

50 minutes for the modelling, about 45 minutes for the layout.
Very simple geometry for the most part, but the model is still available if anyone wants it.

--
flakester

I gotta ask how do you render your model out with wires like that. ive been trying to figure it out. is it a plugin?

JeffrySG
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I gotta ask how do you render your model out with wires like that. ive been trying to figure it out. is it a plugin?

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

AdamAvenali
05-19-2009, 06:23 AM

+1 :thumbsup:

oobievision
05-19-2009, 10:41 AM

thanks alot!:bowdown:

adamredwoods
05-20-2009, 02:38 AM
Geisha, but ran out of time. I think I went over, so no points for me. :)
The arms are too high...

flakester
05-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Geisha, but ran out of time. I think I went over, so no points for me. :)
The arms are too high...

I like it though, works well as a ceramic figurine kind of thing. Pretty efficient flow too. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

JCG
05-21-2009, 02:24 AM
Argh!! I had thought that the previous judges had just been doing PR when they said that the selection process was hard!

OK, dim the lights please.

Yamba: You modeled chopsticks. The model was efficient and effective. Paula thought your outfit was great. The texturing was spectacular, especially the marble. Yamba. Please sit down on the couch.

MooseDog: You modeled a bento box. All the edges were neatly rounded and not one polygon was wasted. Randy thought you were the bomb! MooseDog. Please sit down next to Yamba.

Oobievision: You modeled the Bankai Zanpaktou. The curve on the tip and the sharp edge look approprietly mean. It was surprising that you got to add such detailed bevels in the tsuba and seppa with so little time. Simon thought that was a tricky choice because in some shots the blade looks curved and in others it looks straight. Oobievision. The forum has voted. Please join your friends in the couch. (Being a Bleach junky myself, it's going to be hard not get biased about this one ^_^).

AdamAvenali: You modeled the First Tsurugi. Amazing detail and even more amazing polygon economy. It even has details within the details. AdamAvenali. After an overwhelming number of only one votes, you are safe; you may join the others in the couch.

Colkai: You modeled a Chino vase and pot. The part that amazed me was the completely circular and smoothly curved inset on the vase. It doesn't seem like there's a single point that can be added, moved, or removed to improve the models. Colkai. Please go to the couch; you are safe.

Oobievision: Your second entry was a Samurai helmet. You got all the major parts in 60 minutes and added details that the reference didn't have, making it your own. Oobievision. You're already sitting so please bear with us a little longer ^_^;;;

Kuzey: You modeled a samurai helmet's mask. Too bad you did not redo the entry. It was coming out great. Kuzey. The forum has voted and unfortunately your journey ends here... for the week.

Flakester: You modeled poki!!! OK! This is it, we have a winner!!! No! Bad JC, baaad! Don't vote with your stomach! You have to look at all of the entries first! But... that's one of the creamiest chocolate textures I've seen. The models are effective and efficient too. OK, OK, Flakester, please sit on the couch with the others.

JeffrySG: You modeled a Tori. Where to begin? The tiles at the base of the pillars, the slight difference in height of the middle tile? The curvature at the top? The curve on the little planks? The missing floor tiles? All the tiles that have slight deformities? It seems that everywhere you look there is a detail that will capture you and yet, the overall object is so simple... Wow! JeffrySG. You are safe. Please join the others.

Flakester: Your second entry is a Kendama. Besides the fact that you obviously can make subDs curve just exactly at your will with the minimum geometry, there's also the string. Please remain seated.

Adamredwoods: You modeled a Geisha. It certainly looks ready to be entered as a porcelain decoration but you went over the time limit. Adamredwoods, sorry, you are going home tonight.

And now what do I do? I have no idea which one to choose. I have a very clear top 3 but... which one???

I guess we'll have to make the selection after the break.

adamredwoods
05-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Refined the ceramic geisha. Another 1.5+ hours. Lumigon lighting.

JCG
05-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Sorry, I wasn't trying to prolong the suspense this much. During the break, my Internet broke.

It was really tough but your new LW community modeling champion is: AdamAvenali.

flakester
05-21-2009, 03:52 AM
~ It was really tough but your new LW community modeling champion is: AdamAvenali.

!w00t! for AdamAvenali!!
Congrats Dude, well deserved. :thumbsup:

A 'well done' to JCG for a pretty darn decent write up too.
Awesome work everyone.

--
flakester

Kuzey
05-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Haha...I didn't stop there. I had a go at the helmet too...still needs a lot more work :hey:

Well done AdamAvenali :thumbsup:

I believe Adamredwoods is next to post the new challenge topic :D

Kuzey

JeffrySG
05-21-2009, 06:19 AM
@JCG - dude, that was a great write up and actually had me laughing as well!!

Congrats AdamA!

This was a fun challenge. :)

JeffrySG
05-21-2009, 06:23 AM
Refined the ceramic geisha. Another 1.5+ hours. Lumigon lighting.

These came out really nice. Nice render too. :)

AdamAvenali
05-21-2009, 06:26 AM
haha excellent write-up man! and for real? thanks! i feel like an idol star haha this is a dream come true :thumbsup: i would like to thank everyone on the boards for your continued support, i mean, really, its the only reason i know as much as i do about lightwave haha

so, that means i'm responsible for posting and judging on May 27th then?

flakester
05-21-2009, 08:11 AM
~ so, that means i'm responsible for posting and judging on May 27th then?

It does indeed.... there's a list of possible subjects that people have compiled already here, (http://www.newtek.com/forums/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=44) or - get your thinking cap on!! :D

Well done again Dude. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

AdamAvenali
05-21-2009, 08:18 AM
Well done again Dude. :thumbsup:

thanks man :) oh and i've got an idea... muwhahahaha

adamredwoods
05-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Congrats AdamAvenali!

Oh right, I have to do one now. Ok, lemme go post it.

oobievision
05-21-2009, 10:05 PM
JCG actually the bevels werent that hard for the guard I started with a box cut it aproprietely and extruded the parts that stuck out after that I selected the face polys and dissolved it down to a single poly welded the points on the edges and beveled it

oobievision
05-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Congrats Adam, the Tsurugi has my vote great work

Yamba
05-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Hey congratulations AdamAvenali, worthy winner.

I just come in from a week out bush filming but would like to thank those who said nice things about my entry.

See you all in the next thread.

Shane