PDA

View Full Version : Fiber FX Long Hair

SAHiN
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I think I finally got some nice results out of Fiber FX..
I worked all day on this till my GF said "hey I might ask my hairdresser to try this style on my hair" :D

Of course as always, your opinions matter to me most.

Here is a test render..

PS: OMG what a relief ;)

PS PS : am I the only one not able to get FiberFX working on 64 xp ? Each time I try strand maker I get error saying Fiberfx needs LW9 and weach time I try in Layout I simply crash..?

Cohen
05-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Hey that looks cool. I don't really do critiques as there is always room for improvent. :rolleyes:

Regarding the hair fx, have you looked into using the volumetric render rather than the post-pixel rasterizer (default ffx renderer). Its far superior with respect to quality (top it off with some dof ;) ). Also are you using any of the skin shaders? If you are, may I suggest another fill light in the scene, or increasing the fill intensity light. Otherwise give those skin shaders a try. :thumbsup: I think you do either of those, and you would achieve a more natural blend between the brightly lit hair and the heavily shaded face. Anywho, its looking good so far SaHiN.

SAHiN
05-14-2009, 04:49 AM
Thanks Cohen.. Now I wasnt too sure how volume hair would react to my dynamics setup. This scene is animated basically head and shoulders have collussions applied to them and its working nice.. But now you have given me something else to bite on.. hmmm gotta go try an animation render..:D
As for lighting setup, its bit scene related (which you dont see on this image) but hey, still needs post too.. I have a long way to go on this but I am happy for being able to get the hair shape done.. rest is detaaaaaaaaaaaaaaails :D

thx dude

SAHiN
05-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I actually tried the volume hair Cohen.. Render times are vay too high for animation bro.. and results are bit too soft for my taste.. I kinda like seeng some strong strands that make the hair look wild :)

However, my sole purpose of working on this hair was to see if Fiber FX was good enough to be used in production. We are currently working on a film project and I am trying to figure out ways to give us some sleeping time :)

Thanks for your input dude :)

Cohen
05-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Yeah, its definitely longer rendering times, and its also AA dependant. Higher AA sampling will basically compound the time it takes to render the fibers. Interpolated shadow casting has fair rendering times for stills in my opinion, but not suitable for animation if thats where you are taking it. I think the ffx default rasterizer has great quality for speed. Anyways, good luck with the film project. I'm sure ffx will hold up just fine. :)

SAHiN
05-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, ffx will hold fine..Yes. (I guess by now u can hear a but coming at the end of it.? You are right) ;)
But, if the ffx is going to use dynamics, i think we will need something like "obstraction" or whatever they name it instead of collision.
See hair goes down with gravity, hits where its suppose to and doesnt really bounce back the way other objects do... With collision we are kind of limited.. Reduce bounce power and hair goes through the collision object.. Increase the bounce power and u get unnecessary bouncing which the hair would never react that way..

Maybe I am doing something wrong..? But hair shouldnt bounce up and down like a rubber ball..

...and ffx should not crash LW on 64b XP.. (Now this is a serious bug)

jasonwestmas
05-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Not bad at all! Shading could use some tweaking, especially the skin. Right now the head looks like a hollow piece of plastic. Try the fast skin material at a lower quality setting. Should work well for you if you are doing animation.

Cohen
05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
yeah, its very tricky. There are a few ways to do the animation. I actually have tried many methods, some with lots of expressions driving short fur even. I have some "tricks" you may want to explore. Have you given any thought to using cloth fx on some abstract piece(s) of geometry, and have that control the guides? Here is a rundown:

model the hair in ~10 "grid patches" that wrap around the characters head. Each layer would overlap the layer below it, starting from the bottom of the neck to the top of the scalp.
Then create your guides from the vertical strips of all those layers of grid patches. (This is to ensure that the verts line up 100%. Also, you'll want to extend the border of the "grid patches" one poly further than the guides so they map properly for the next part.)
Then use the grid patches for the cloth fx simulation, and apply metafx link on the guides so the deform exactly like the grid patches. This way you get much better cloth fx animation, you can use the sub-sctructure to retain its initial shape, and the hold-structure to controll it so it doesnt go out of wack (kinda like the hair would have lots of gel or moose or something.) (Note: Parent each set of guides to their corresponding layer in order for metalink to work.)
After simulation, to top it off, you can edit individual nodes/vertices with a smooth fall off if you want to style the hair for individual poses throughout animation.

It's just an idea really. I've had terrific results with a cloth fx + metalink fx deformer for many things other than hair. I'm sure it will provide much better simulation than raw 2 point polys. Mainly becaue the sub-struct and hold-struct methods and the fact that you can have double sided collision turned on to prevent intersecting strands from occurring. :thumbsup:

SAHiN
05-18-2009, 04:03 AM
jasonwestmas thanks..But skin shading is least of my concerns right now :) The head is only there to hold the hair..I couldnt care less if it looked like ton of bricks :)

Cohen.. hmmm u gave me something to bite on here.. metalink fx deformer you say...and I say why didnt I think of that ? LoL I will give it a try...

What I done was create the guides in ffx, to shape the hair I used weight maps for lenght etc. then I applied collision to head, cloth dynamics to hair and collision to shoulders and neck..
System works great, if your character is not gonna jump up and down.. if she does up and down, then the bounce you get becomes very unrealistic..

Ok I go try the metalink fx and see what i can come up with.. thx bro :)