PDA

View Full Version : May 2009 newsletter posted

BeeVee
05-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi all,

Read the latest in May's newsletter posted here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php

It covers details of awards for LightWave projects, a new plugin called vRoom, a beautiful picture of the month and it leads off with an illuminating interview with Aristomenis Tsirbas on the process behind making Battle for Terra.

B

hrgiger
05-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Vroom looks sweet. I hope it's an inexpensive plug-in!

AdamAvenali
05-13-2009, 02:18 PM

i agree 100%. that could prove to be extremely useful.

Lightwolf
05-13-2009, 04:33 PM
I hope it's an inexpensive plug-in!
Define inexpensive .... vs. time saved it will be dead cheap (Actually, I think it will be very reasonable priced, especially considering the feature set).

Cheers,
Mike

GregMalick
05-13-2009, 04:35 PM
re: vRoom

What a brilliant idea.

The creativity of LW 3rd party developers never ceases to amaze me.

{EDIT}

Yowza~! Mike, Don't exactly know your part in making this node, but congratulations to you and Luke.

hrgiger
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Well for the richness I think that could add to a scene, I would consider anything under $100 to be inexpensive.

blugenwitz
05-14-2009, 12:42 AM
And what with videos on vroom site? Anybody see them?

OnlineRender
05-14-2009, 01:04 AM
sweet hang on to I sell a kidney !

"Basically, you assign surfaces " quote from NT site
#
hate that use of the word , implies the users stupid , say effectively

" i would not buy that due to terrible grammer ..........fact " come on people ! get real , you have a mutli-national company and yet you let yourselves down with basic English , all that hardwork undone in less than 1 paragraph . . . . . . . .

Lightwolf
05-14-2009, 01:32 AM
Yowza~! Mike, Don't exactly know your part in making this node, but congratulations to you and Luke.
I just helped along with the LW SDK and it's using our C++ wrapper for the SDK.

Cheers,
Mike

Darth Mole
05-14-2009, 01:51 AM
OnlineRender - is your post serious? Firstly, you spell grammar with an 'a'. Secondly, there's a distinct lack of 'grammer' in your entire post! No capital letters at the beginning of sentences, spaces in between letters and punctuation, no full stops, incorrect use of quotation marks, spelling mistakes, zero sentence structure, multiple full stops passing for ellipses... and then you have the gall to say that you won't buy a plug-in because of the improper use of the word 'basically'!

Dude, buy a dictionary. And then get a life.

DiedonD
05-14-2009, 01:53 AM

Or better yet, a free one ;)

Its for 9.6 and above right?

littlewaves
05-14-2009, 03:24 AM

#

" i would not buy that due to terrible grammer ..........fact " come on people ! get real , you have a mutli-national company and yet you let yourselves down with basic English , all that hardwork undone in less than 1 paragraph . . . . . . . .

pardon?

DiedonD
05-14-2009, 04:23 AM
OnlineRender - is your post serious? Firstly, you spell grammar with an 'a'. Secondly, there's a distinct lack of 'grammer' in your entire post! No capital letters at the beginning of sentences, spaces in between letters and punctuation, no full stops, incorrect use of quotation marks, spelling mistakes, zero sentence structure, multiple full stops passing for ellipses... and then you have the gall to say that you won't buy a plug-in because of the improper use of the word 'basically'!

Dude, buy a dictionary. And then get a life.

Oh Onlinerender has dyslexia, and come to think of it, is doing quite well and trying his best, compared to what they can be like!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia

Thats as far is his typing is concerned. For whatever else you may have in your quarrels, just shoot but dont kill eachother! But the typing is pretty darn good for a dyslexic. Show some compasioin will you?

DogBoy
05-14-2009, 05:26 AM
This is a reasonable price, but no way would this be free (though we can dream). I'd say, in this context, basically is correct. He is saying "Well, actually it is a fairly complex idea, but at it's kernel this is how it works". Effectively, in this case, can not be substituted without reworking the whole sentence.

jameswillmott
05-14-2009, 05:30 AM

#

wtf? Can anyone else decypher this? He seems upset over something...

Darth Mole
05-14-2009, 05:32 AM
Well if that's true, my apologies about the grammar and spelling. But the argument still stands.

DogBoy
05-14-2009, 05:36 AM
Yes, your point does still stand, but let's not start a flame war and get off-topic.

Luke has come up with a nice plug-in that I can see a lot of use for.

OnlineRender
05-14-2009, 05:43 AM
[QUOTE=Darth Mole;883380]OnlineRender - is your post serious? Firstly, you spell grammar with an 'a'. Secondly, there's a distinct lack of 'grammer' in your entire post! No capital letters at the beginning of sentences, spaces in between letters and punctuation, no full stops, incorrect use of quotation marks, spelling mistakes, zero sentence structure, multiple full stops passing for ellipses... and then you have the gall to say that you won't buy a plug-in because of the improper use of the word 'basically'!

Dude, buy a dictionary. And then get a life.[/QUOTE

Sweet plugin - shame the tone has been set wrong , lets start again .

With full stops and capital letters with bells on !

The plugin looks sweet and excellent work from all parties .
Now imagine your selling a brand spanking new product ,which they are .
Now basically this product does this .

The use of the word basically implies the reader or whomever , that there stupid ,instead use of the word effectively , . . for several reasons .

For someone that's dyslexic , I notice things when it comes to words , usually backwards , and that's the first thing that came to my attention ,not the plugin . i may not be able to write ,but why the need to buy a dictionary , i have Google moreover all the dictionary's in the world will not help with my grammer ! also getting a life , now there's a good point , in-turn i should have left positive feedback instead of picking up weak points .
Basically your right !

biliousfrog
05-14-2009, 05:55 AM
The plugin seems very well priced to me, I've just accomplished something in a couple of minutes that took me more than a day before...so, in that respect, it could be classed as free. It's all about expenditure vs income, some people will see it as expensive but when time = money you have to consider how much something like this will save. In this case it would have paid for itself instantly, the same as when I bought HD Instance, Maestro and whatever other plugins and software I've needed for projects.

Nice work Luke

DogBoy
05-14-2009, 06:02 AM
I agree wi' Bilious. This is extremly cheap when compared to the time it saves.

OnlineRender
05-14-2009, 06:20 AM
I cant get into an argument about grammar and spelling , mainly due to the fact , i cant do either , and please don't apologize for my misfortune , i went on a rant ,and all i can do is apologize for my silly actions ,
NT ADMIN close down my account down , its been made clear my opinions are not welcome and i don't think i can add anything of interest to a forum ,were most of the people have an IQ higher than 120 ,and to be honest ,I'm feed up with all this shinnzle and lightwave , there's some great artists here and i wish them all the best , people who write plugins keep writing ,new LW artists keep trying the software gets easier to handle.

wish you all the best , I'm outta here .
peace !

DiedonD
05-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Darnit!

littlewaves
05-14-2009, 06:48 AM
I seem to be missing something. Do we know what the price is? I can't find it anywhere.

SBowie
05-14-2009, 06:51 AM
The use of the word basically implies the reader or whomever , that there stupid ,instead use of the word effectively , . . for several reasons.I have to respectfully disagree that the use of "basically" implies condescension, as I think you are inferring. And really, "effectively" is not a good substitute (check any thesaurus).

"Basically" means 'in a basic way' or 'fundamentally'. It's true, a writer will often use it when about to introduce an explanation of the basics of something that is probably unfamiliar to most of his readers. Generally, if not universally, this does not imply that he thinks they are stupid. It means that what immediately follows is a bare-bone consideration of the topic. He may do this either as a foundation for a more elaborate explanation to follow, or sometimes because he thinks that the readers are clever enough not to require anything more.

"Effectively" means something quite different than what you seem to think it does, and cannot really serve in place of "basically"; "essentially" could, however, as could "fundamentally".

biliousfrog
05-14-2009, 07:15 AM
I seem to be missing something. Do we know what the price is? I can't find it anywhere.

A few of us know but, until the product is released, it's up to Luke to offer that information. I don't believe that it's common knowledge.

littlewaves
05-14-2009, 08:08 AM
A few of us know but, until the product is released, it's up to Luke to offer that information. I don't believe that it's common knowledge.

Fair enough.

Looks like a very useful plugin. I look forward to more info.

BeeVee
05-14-2009, 01:14 PM
As the author of the newsletter I did initially write a more complete explanation of the way the plugin works, but I condensed it down to "basically" so that the article remained interesting to the majority of users. It was never meant to be condescending. Luke has posted several videos that go into great depth further explaining the plugin if you care to watch them.

B

littlewaves
05-14-2009, 06:15 PM
As the author of the newsletter I did initially write a more complete explanation of the way the plugin works, but I condensed it down to "basically" so that the article remained interesting to the majority of users. It was never meant to be condescending. Luke has posted several videos that go into great depth further explaining the plugin if you care to watch them.

B

dude relax,
the guy was on drugs

happens to us all

looks like a great plugin which will be of great help to serious users while we wait for core to catch up (five to ten years or so.... y'reckon??)

Cageman
05-18-2009, 04:23 PM
I've been beta-testing vRoom and so far all I can say is that it is amazing! It also works very well with screamernet; something everyone might take for granted, but there are plugins out there that somehow manages to not work with screamernet. This one does, and it is quite fast as well!

Kudos to Luke!

EDIT: And, of course, LightWolf is an amazing asset for this community. Not only because his own developements (exrTrader, infiniMap etc) but also that he seems to spend alot of time helping out other developers. If I ever meet LightWolf, I'll buy him a handfull of beer!

jameswillmott
05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
I agree with Cageman, it's a very clever little product, and I haven't been able to break it yet, if you're doing archvis with highrises, it's highly recommended.