PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who Tardis and Vortex help

Torchwood
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Hey guys, i am new to Lightwave and i want to learn how to use this great program.

Just a few Questions.

Can i be able to make a Vortex and a Tardis just like BBC's Doctor Who visual team. THE MILL.

If so, how?

http://bbc.co.uk/doctorwho

if you look on the episodes it will come up with intro titles. i want to make my version like that. but a little different.

Thanks in advance.

prometheus
05-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Cant see how the vortex looks like unfortunatly, canīt watch the trailers outside of uk.
would be better if you can find an image to post.

Michael

jameswillmott
05-13-2009, 05:33 PM
The Doctor Who vortex and Tardis wouldn't be that tricky, yes, LW can do it, but it does need an artist to push the buttons.

As to how? Try making either, and post your progress as you go, we can give you hints and tips as you progress.

I'd follow some tutorials first before trying to reimagine the DW title sequence,if you've only just picked up the program... trying to fly before you can walk isn't a good idea :)

prometheus
05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Hard to find any good clips on how it looks, youtubes clips is so bad in quality, so itīs to hard to see.

Anyway I would probably do it using hypervoxels sprites on some nulls or use
displaced geometry with hypervoxels on it.

Michael

http://www.vimeo.com/user680656/videos/sort:date

Torchwood
05-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks Guys.

Oh and i can recreate the Names that come up. Just look at my YouTube channel.

VortexOfTime2

skate23
05-20-2009, 08:20 AM
hey torchwood
first real world models i made were a dalek, and a tardis...i'm kinda sad to say...the tardis is pretty straight forward really, just break it down into boxes, and go one plane at a time- dont forget that three of the planes are pretty much identical- there's only really the door that needs additional detail-
and remember to bevel the edges of the boxes, so it doesnt do that weird ' far too shear' thing that basic 90 degree polygons do when they meet- you need additional geometry there to make the models planes feel real.

and its all about the texturing really...i could post you my base model if that would help- kinda got into all this accidentally by making spoof dr who films, and the vfx just kept getting better...lightwave is super fun. enjoy!

the vortex can be accomplished by doing variations on a 'tunnel fly through', with imaginative (animated?) texturing, n particle fx, motion blur etc...

hope that helps...

tom baker forever!
john:hat:

Torchwood
06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
hey torchwood
first real world models i made were a dalek, and a tardis...i'm kinda sad to say...the tardis is pretty straight forward really, just break it down into boxes, and go one plane at a time- dont forget that three of the planes are pretty much identical- there's only really the door that needs additional detail-
and remember to bevel the edges of the boxes, so it doesnt do that weird ' far too shear' thing that basic 90 degree polygons do when they meet- you need additional geometry there to make the models planes feel real.

and its all about the texturing really...i could post you my base model if that would help- kinda got into all this accidentally by making spoof dr who films, and the vfx just kept getting better...lightwave is super fun. enjoy!

the vortex can be accomplished by doing variations on a 'tunnel fly through', with imaginative (animated?) texturing, n particle fx, motion blur etc...

hope that helps...

tom baker forever!
john:hat:

Thanks mate