PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL viewer for LightWave files

pignus
05-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Hello,

I am pleased to announce the release of TNGViewer, a free OpenGL viewer for LightWave object and scene files (up to version 8, untested with version 9), and also other 3D files (such as FBX), which allows for image and movie export.

TNGViewer is available for Windows and Mac OS X from:

http://tng3d.com/viewer.html

The application requires QuickTime 7+ and a 64MB OpenGL card with shaders.

Enjoy,
Dario

jakuzaa
05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
hi pignus,
works fine on low-poly objects, but what's wrong with my house? see attachment

it is 48 000 polys

pignus
05-13-2009, 11:53 AM
hi jakuzaa,
on .lwo files the "Render Outlines" flag sets the surface to be shown as wireframe..
on .lws files the Visibility setting in the Scene Editor, when set to Wireframe, achieves the same result.

shades
05-13-2009, 12:46 PM
hey, this sounds great! oO

does this one support normal maps?
would be awesome to switch live between
normalmap shade/flat shade/wireframe :cool:

:lwicon:

gerry_g
05-13-2009, 12:48 PM
This is really great but it is not without problems, it seems to like ngons even less than LW which at least will display this model correctly in open GL

pignus
05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
hey, this sounds great! oO

does this one support normal maps?
would be awesome to switch live between
normalmap shade/flat shade/wireframe :cool:

:lwicon:

Hi shades,

Surfaces with opacity set to displacement mapping in the corresponding layer of the Texture Editor should be displayed with bump mapping.

At the moment there is no global "shading switch", simply because our rendering engine has no concept of "flat shading"; however, we might add a wireframe switch in future revisions...

The problem with this kind of wireframe is that some cards on some operating systems do not really support it any more...

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
This is really great but it is not without problems, it seems to like ngons even less than LW which at least will display this model correctly in open GL

Hi gerry g,

I'm sorry about this inconvenience.
It would be helpful to obtain a copy of this .lwo -- that way we could test it with a debug build...

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
hi pignus,
works fine on low-poly objects, but what's wrong with my house? see attachment

it is 48 000 polys

Hi jakuzaa,

As said before, this seems to be an issue of various visibility settings.
On the polygon count front, 48K is not too much data: we usually test with much heftier geometry.

As usual, please attach your .lwo (and possibly .lws) files in case you notice a problem.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Hello again,

We have updated TNGViewer with a few fixes according to the first user reports, mostly concerning support for NPOT textures on ATi hardware.
The latest version is available as usual from:

If you already have TNGViewer, you can use the 'Check for Updates...' option in the Help menu.

Enjoy,
Dario

lwanmtr
05-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Looks like a neat program..however, whats with the thing on the viewer that never goes away? Is this a demo program or something? Nothing on the site says its a demo program..but with that on the screen, it's kinda useless..

pignus
05-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Looks like a neat program..however, whats with the thing on the viewer that never goes away? Is this a demo program or something? Nothing on the site says its a demo program..but with that on the screen, it's kinda useless..

Hi lwanmtr,

There appears to be an issue with the TNGViewer -- it gets displayed when it shouldn't. We'll investigate and hopefully post an update soon.

In your screenshot it looks like the textures for your model aren't accessible... are they contained in a regular content directory?

Thanks,
Dario

lwanmtr
05-14-2009, 04:39 AM
Ok, cool.. (see my sig, for os and system)

I dont think I have any textures on that model, actually..just regular surfaces

pignus
05-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Ok, cool.. (see my sig, for os and system)

I dont think I have any textures on that model, actually..just regular surfaces

Hi lwanmtr,

Actually, unless you have a really bright magenta surface in that model, the very presence of that colour in TNGViewer usually implies that some texture file couldn't be located...

Are you opening your model/scene from a regular LW content directory? If that's the case, and the texture file is there, then it should be displayed correctly...

We're working on the spurious TNG 3D logo display in the TNGViewer window: we'll post an update as soon as we have a fix.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Hello again,

We truly apologise about this inconvenience.

A nasty regression prevented the LightWave object importer from properly issuing report notifications, which in turn prevented correct initialisation and resulted in inconsistent display/behaviour.

We have posted an update to TNGViewer for both Windows and Mac OS X -- it is available from:

As usual, you can use the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu.

Thanks for your support and interest,
Dario

gerry_g
05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
See attached lwo file of test for bad n gon's (this is just the part of the model that has problems in TNG Viewer, as you can dee from the second image LW has no problem with the model even with the perspective camera which breaks most n gon's.

– Used latest download, OS is Leopard 10.5.6 ATI Radeon 9650 (OK the graphics card is pretty ancient but I don't have time to stick it on the eight core with the Radion X1900 XT right now as I'm off out)

pignus
05-14-2009, 03:44 PM
See attached lwo file of test for bad n gon's (this is just the part of the model that has problems in TNG Viewer, as you can dee from the second image LW has no problem with the model even with the perspective camera which breaks most n gon's.

– Used latest download, OS is Leopard 10.5.6 ATI Radeon 9650 (OK the graphics card is pretty ancient but I don't have time to stick it on the eight core with the Radion X1900 XT right now as I'm off out)

Hi gerry_g,

Thank you for providing the sample model.

A debug build of TNGViewer reveals problems interpreting (at least) polygons 149 and 151 -- we'll try to investigate what exactly is going on with this model.

Thanks,
Dario

toby
05-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks for this Pignus! Even if there's errors it allows me to browse and see the res quality of my models

pignus
05-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks for this Pignus! Even if there's errors it allows me to browse and see the res quality of my models

Hi toby,

Have you found triangulation issues in your model(s)? If so, could you please post said model(s) such that we could examine them in debug mode...?

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello again,

We have updated TNGViewer with a few bug fixes (non-representable polygons/surfaces are now skipped), and several new features: wireframe display (default off), backface culling (default on), support for planar and cubic UV projections, and for layer pivots.

The latest TNGViewer version is available at:

You can also use the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu.

Thank you,
Enjoy,
Dario

Trulsi
05-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi Dario!

This is very cool, and potentially very useful! Thank you very much for providing this for free and replying to feedback so quickly:)

pignus
05-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Hi Truls,

Thank you for *your* feedback -- users' input is what keeps us going.

Ciao,
Dario

pignus
05-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Hello again,

We're glad to announce an update to TNGViewer, featuring vastly improved triangulation of large (planar) polygons. In fact, the test model provided in this thread by gerry_g now renders fine. :)
We've also added (preliminary) support for LightWave 9.x scene files.

The latest TNGViewer release is available at:

As always, you can also use the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu.

Enjoy,
Dario

gerry_g
05-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow deeply impressed, works beautifully now (see pic), enormous thanks pignus for gifting this great little tool to the Lightwave community.

pignus
05-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Hi gerry_g,

Thank you for your compliments. :)

If you find other models that do not render properly in TNGViewer, please remember to provide them to us such that we feed them to debug builds of the application.

Ciao,
Dario

Kuzey
05-30-2009, 08:21 AM
I tried it on my MacBook, first go...my models seemed to load but wouldn't render but the demo worked. After quitting and relaunching the app the models loaded and rendered fine.

I'm having problems trying to save a movie...it's a bit confusing as some of the movies can't be opened. I'm wondering how can you rotate the model and then save that as a movie?

It's a great little app...i will defiantly blog about this!!

Well done :thumbsup:

Kuzey

stevecullum
05-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Great little previewer, thanks for the release!

Is there a way to map a key, so I can cycle through a list of objects/scenes in a directory?

pignus
05-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I tried it on my MacBook, first go...my models seemed to load but wouldn't render but the demo worked. After quitting and relaunching the app the models loaded and rendered fine.

I'm having problems trying to save a movie...it's a bit confusing as some of the movies can't be opened. I'm wondering how can you rotate the model and then save that as a movie?

It's a great little app...i will defiantly blog about this!!

Well done :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

Thanks for your appreciation. :)

I am sorry about the issues you encountered on your MacBook. I am afraid that without an Apple System Profiler report I can't diagnose your problems; if you have the Xcode developer tools, a Renderer Info report from the OpenGL Driver Monitor would be of even greater help. Alternatively, you can use the OpenGL Extensions Viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) to create such a report.
If you prefer not to post said reports on this forum but rather send them privately, you can use the email address given in the TNGViewer About window (won't duplicate it here to avoid nasty harvesters.)

The TNGViewer online documentation (http://tng3d.com/viewer_docs.html) should explain how to save a QuickTime movie...
In general, just choose the 'Save As...' option from the File menu after loading your LightWave file, and type a filename ending in a valid movie extension (such as .mov).
In the QuickTime options dialog, we recommend using either MPEG-4 Video or H.264 as the output codec, for price/performance reasons; keep in mind that frame reordering and multi-pass encoding are not supported yet.
When you confirm this dialog, the movie should start to be saved to disk automatically; you can rotate/pan/dolly/whatever during movie output. When you're finished with your movie, pressing ESC (or quitting the application) should finish the output process.
If you have problems with output movies, please send us the LightWave files used to create them, and instructions on how to reproduce the problems.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
05-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Great little previewer, thanks for the release!

Is there a way to map a key, so I can cycle through a list of objects/scenes in a directory?

Hi stevecullum,

Currently there is no such feature in TNGViewer, mostly because the application is actually meant for displaying complete interactive real-time presentations (e.g. the default entries you get in the 'Open Recent' submenu the first time you install TNGViewer).
In this usage scenario, customers are usually interested in the presentation they've (hopefully :hey:) paid for, so they won't be "browsing for" other presentations...

We might add a more comfortable interface to access the 'Open Recent' submenu in future releases; however, it would still be limited to files you have already opened...

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

gerry_g
05-30-2009, 05:44 PM
I'm having problems trying to save a movie...it's a bit confusing as some of the movies can't be opened.

First time I tried I failed but both .mov and .mp4 worked just fine thereafter and I had no problem at all, see here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gerry_g12/LOCO_TEST/source/sadle_tank_loco_25__scl_a.htm) but I do think an auto center button and a turntable mode would put the final polish on this accomplished little viewer

pignus
05-30-2009, 05:55 PM
First time I tried I failed but both .mov and .mp4 worked just fine thereafter and I had no problem at all, see here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gerry_g12/LOCO_TEST/source/sadle_tank_loco_25__scl_a.htm) but I do think an auto center button and a turntable mode would put the final polish on this accomplished little viewer

Hi gerry_g,

I am sorry about the movie output failures you've encountered. I would need data and steps in order to reproduce and (possibly) fix the movie issues.
I've seen the movie you posted: it looks good (the model is quite nice BTW), assuming the frames with extra displayed items are codec and/or transmission artifacts. On disk, movie output should always represent what you get in real-time as closely as possible; if it doesn't, you should report a bug.

An auto-center feature could probably be added without too much effort. On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "turntable mode"...

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

gerry_g
05-30-2009, 06:09 PM
The failure may have been due to user error, placing a comma instead of a period before the suffix for .mov, but as i said it was a one off and hasn't reoccurred. By turntable mode I meant a means by which you could invoke the object to rotate in 'Y' about it's pivot, or around world zero'Y' and loop i.e. rotate smoothly through 360 and repeat seamlessly, Modo will do tricks like this in it's open GL viewports.

Kuzey
05-31-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi Kuzey,

I am sorry about the issues you encountered on your MacBook. I am afraid that without an Apple System Profiler report I can't diagnose your problems; if you have the Xcode developer tools, a Renderer Info report from the OpenGL Driver Monitor would be of even greater help. Alternatively, you can use the OpenGL Extensions Viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) to create such a report.
If you prefer not to post said reports on this forum but rather send them privately, you can use the email address given in the TNGViewer About window (won't duplicate it here to avoid nasty harvesters.)

The TNGViewer online documentation (http://tng3d.com/viewer_docs.html) should explain how to save a QuickTime movie...
In general, just choose the 'Save As...' option from the File menu after loading your LightWave file, and type a filename ending in a valid movie extension (such as .mov).
In the QuickTime options dialog, we recommend using either MPEG-4 Video or H.264 as the output codec, for price/performance reasons; keep in mind that frame reordering and multi-pass encoding are not supported yet.
When you confirm this dialog, the movie should start to be saved to disk automatically; you can rotate/pan/dolly/whatever during movie output. When you're finished with your movie, pressing ESC (or quitting the application) should finish the output process.
If you have problems with output movies, please send us the LightWave files used to create them, and instructions on how to reproduce the problems.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

Hi Dario,

I don't have Xcode installed but I'll try the link next time I boot up in Mac OS X.

I managed to save the movies to the hard disk just fine, but they couldn't be opened with QT movie player...I think the program still has a reference to the movies and the Finder might think that TNGViewer has not finished creating it. After quitting the program those movies became viewable just like other movies.

Haha...I thought the camera icon was the record movie button. There really should be a record button in there, click it once and start the recording...click it again and the save dialog pops up to save the movie. Press esc key to abort the recording without having to deal with the save dialog etc. Also there should be shortcuts to begin recording and to save the movie...without clicking a button. Ho and a save image button will be great to :D

Any chance of using Mac type or Mac creator codes along side file extensions to verify LW objects and scenes. I have a ton of files with no extensions and they are greyed out when trying to select a object to load...although the Finder knows what they are :D

Not sure how hard it will to create....it would be fantastic if there was something like a LW preset shelf that loads the files from a directory at 100x100 pixels and you select one and it loads into the main viewer.

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-31-2009, 08:52 AM
Ok...downloaded and attached the report.

PS... the render not working only happened the first time the app was launched and I used 9.6 files....so that could have been part of the problem.

Kuzey

pignus
05-31-2009, 05:10 PM
The failure may have been due to user error, placing a comma instead of a period before the suffix for .mov, but as i said it was a one off and hasn't reoccurred. By turntable mode I meant a means by which you could invoke the object to rotate in 'Y' about it's pivot, or around world zero'Y' and loop i.e. rotate smoothly through 360 and repeat seamlessly, Modo will do tricks like this in it's open GL viewports.

Hi gerry_g,

While this feature would certainly make sense in a single-model usage scenario, I'm not sure how I might justify it with management in the default TNGViewer usage scenario...

At any rate, we'll consider your proposal, just like the auto-center feature.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
05-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi Dario,

I don't have Xcode installed but I'll try the link next time I boot up in Mac OS X.

I managed to save the movies to the hard disk just fine, but they couldn't be opened with QT movie player...I think the program still has a reference to the movies and the Finder might think that TNGViewer has not finished creating it. After quitting the program those movies became viewable just like other movies.

Haha...I thought the camera icon was the record movie button. There really should be a record button in there, click it once and start the recording...click it again and the save dialog pops up to save the movie. Press esc key to abort the recording without having to deal with the save dialog etc. Also there should be shortcuts to begin recording and to save the movie...without clicking a button. Ho and a save image button will be great to :D

Any chance of using Mac type or Mac creator codes along side file extensions to verify LW objects and scenes. I have a ton of files with no extensions and they are greyed out when trying to select a object to load...although the Finder knows what they are :D

Not sure how hard it will to create....it would be fantastic if there was something like a LW preset shelf that loads the files from a directory at 100x100 pixels and you select one and it loads into the main viewer.

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

Regarding output movies -- although TNGViewer always builds fully-contained movie files, it is possible that you won't be able to open them until you quit the application. However, we are specifically releasing any locks we have on the movies as soon as the output process is complete... I'll take a deeper look at the relevant code.

Regarding the recording interface -- at the moment we have no plans to extend it, actually. You should be able to output a movie using only the keyboard: one command for 'Save As...', then type the name of the movie, then Return to acknowledge the QuickTime preferences dialog. When you're done recording, ESC will complete the output process.
You can save images just like movies, of course -- just use an image filename extension as opposed to a movie one.

Regarding the Mac creator codes -- this can certainly be explored, although Navigation Services is far from funny from a development point of view...

Regarding the "preset shelf" -- that would probably be quite hard to clear with management... :)

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
05-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Ok...downloaded and attached the report.

PS... the render not working only happened the first time the app was launched and I used 9.6 files....so that could have been part of the problem.

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

From your report it looks like your machine should have no rendering issues at all (although some advanced features might be automatically turned off).
On the other hand, we've admittedly run only a few tests with LightWave 9.6 scene files: as usual, if you have a reproducible test case showing a problem, please provide us with the data.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

JamesCurtis
05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
I had tried out the TNGViewer program using the most recent build and when I load a LW file [in fact any supported file] the window title shows the file is loaded, but the window is pure white!!.

I tried launching the program several times, loading files, and had the same result repeatedly.

I'm running Windows Vista Business 64bit.

All files requested were installed including Microsoft Visual C++ files in the installer. I also have Microsoft Visual C++2008 64bit installed already.

Can anyone enlighten me on why it isn't working?

pignus
06-01-2009, 07:01 AM
I had tried out the TNGViewer program using the most recent build and when I load a LW file [in fact any supported file] the window title shows the file is loaded, but the window is pure white!!.

I tried launching the program several times, loading files, and had the same result repeatedly.

I'm running Windows Vista Business 64bit.

All files requested were installed including Microsoft Visual C++ files in the installer. I also have Microsoft Visual C++2008 64bit installed already.

Can anyone enlighten me on why it isn't working?

Hello James,

I am sorry about the issues you've encountered.

We have not tried TNGViewer on Vista 64bit yet since we don't have that configuration in our lab. Could you please provide us with a Microsoft System Info report, together with an OpenGL Extensions Viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) report...?

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Hello again,

We have updated TNGViewer, with additional fixes for triangulating (very) large polygons in (really) large models; now, a sample model from this thread (provided by Trulsi) loads and renders fine in TNGViewer. :)

We have also added two new navigation features, available as keyboard shortcuts (Shift+C and C without modifiers) and as buttons (at the top centre of the window) in icon navigation mode. The first option centres the view on the current scene/model; the second options centres the view on, and zooms it to the current scene/model.

As usual, the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu is the fastest update route.

Thanks for your interest,
Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
06-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Hello again,

We've updated TNGViewer for scenes that do not contain lights: the new default lighting model uses key/fill/back/ambient lights, each of which can be turned on or off. This results in much improved rendering output for simple models/scenes.
We've also added keyboard modifier+mouse dragging navigation to the default icon navigation mode (previously available only in user mode).
Finally, we've fixed an issue where abnormally small shininess values were not being clamped correctly.

The latest release is available at:

As always, you can use the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu.

Enjoy,
Dario

gerry_g
06-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Like the lighting improvements, even takes a stab at doing reflections and transparency, once again I'm impressed

pignus
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Like the lighting improvements, even takes a stab at doing reflections and transparency, once again I'm impressed

Hi gerry_g,

I forgot to mention that it's now possible, from the View menu, to change the background color for the main window -- for simple models/scenes that do not contain any skybox objects.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
06-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Just a quick note to let people know we've updated the TNGViewer online documentation (http://tng3d.com/viewer_docs.html) to the latest application release.

Furthermore, we've also published a TNG 3D version history (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html), always accessible from the download page(s).

Enjoy,
Dario

Kuzey
06-18-2009, 02:13 PM
The new lights are a brilliant addition...beautiful stuff.

I know you said that this wasn't tested for 9.6 but I thought I'd just post that 9.6 scenes don't load...objects are fine though. Are there plans to make it compatible with the current version of LW in the future.

Kuzey

pignus
06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
The new lights are a brilliant addition...beautiful stuff.

I know you said that this wasn't tested for 9.6 but I thought I'd just post that 9.6 scenes don't load...objects are fine though. Are there plans to make it compatible with the current version of LW in the future.

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

I'm sorry about the issue you've encountered with LightWave 9.6 scene files: admittedly they have not been tested very extensively...

Could you please provide a sample LW 9.6 scene, with associated objects and textures, that it is not working properly in the latest TNGViewer release?

Thank you,
Dario

Kuzey
06-18-2009, 04:23 PM
You can try this one...it's already uploaded and doesn't work for me.

It's jasonwestmas model:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=894392&postcount=28

Kuzey

pignus
06-18-2009, 04:51 PM

It's jasonwestmas model:

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

Thank you for the test object/scene.

It turns out that TNGViewer cannot locate the .lwo file starting from the .lws file; this is somehow expected, considering that the files in jasonwestmas's model are all in the same directory...

If you rearrange the files according to a (sort of) LightWave content directory scheme, both the .lwo and .lws files appear to work fine. I am attaching a screenshot showing what I did in the model directory.

Nevertheless, we are now thinking of trying to address a situation like this i.e. where all object/scene/image files are in the same folder. We're just not sure we'd like the potential solution, but I won't bore you with technical details.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM

It's jasonwestmas model:

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

Just a quick note to let you know this issue is fixed in the next TNGViewer revision: now object files are looked up next to scene files when they are not found at their expected path -- as it happens for the test model you mentioned earlier (and probably for other situations where the original LightWave content directory structure was lost).

I'll post another message as soon as we publish an official TNGViewer release.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

Kuzey
06-19-2009, 04:58 AM
haha....I forgot about the folder structure...good news on the fix :D

I included a couple screen grabs of my models....just for fun.

Kuzey

pignus
06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
haha....I forgot about the folder structure...good news on the fix :D

I included a couple screen grabs of my models....just for fun.

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

Very nice models -- I've also seen the ones on your 3D blog: cool art.

We should have a new TNGViewer release available on Monday, with the fix to read unstructured scenes/models.

Ciao,
Dario

Ivan_B
06-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi Dario,
Awesome app, just what I need to sort through all my crap.

For those using Vista 64 bit Lightwave 9.6, it does work..... however the objects displayed are NOT subpatched, whereas I see examples displaying subpatched objects. Some surfaces are missing altogether.

I downloaded the ngon object from this thread of the train bits, and they displayed subpatched, where NON of my objects do...Kinda looks like its at my end, any ideas.

Thanks again...either way the viewer is still very useful...THANK YOU!!

Kuzey
06-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Hi Dario,
Awesome app, just what I need to sort through all my crap.

For those using Vista 64 bit Lightwave 9.6, it does work..... however the objects displayed are NOT subpatched, whereas I see examples displaying subpatched objects. Some surfaces are missing altogether.

I downloaded the ngon object from this thread of the train bits, and they displayed subpatched, where NON of my objects do...Kinda looks like its at my end, any ideas.

Thanks again...either way the viewer is still very useful...THANK YOU!!

That ngon object is not subpatched and yes the viewer ignores the subpatch state...it just load the polygons. See my two examples, the Quickdraw Mcgraw model was subdivided twice and saved as a new file. The little tin toy wireframe is a subpatched object with no subdivisions.

Kuzey

gerry_g
06-21-2009, 04:38 AM
Quite so the loco object was hard modeled not subpatched and was only put online to show n-gon reading errors present in earlier builds of the viewer

Ivan_B
06-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Oh Ok thanks.

Great app.

pignus
06-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi Nackers,

As Kuzey and gerry_g have explained, TNGViewer only deals with polygonal models. From a technical point of view, even if we could display subdivision surfaces in realtime with interactively acceptable performance (and with current hardware that's still extremely difficult, even on top-of-the-line cards), the truth is that we have and can find absolutely *no* documentation about the algorhythm LightWave uses for subdivision surfaces...

Surfaces made with non-polygonal primitives, such as subdivision surfaces, are simply ignored by TNGViewer. Other skipped surfaces include those that contain a mixture of polygons and/or lines/points -- only uniformly polygonal/line/point surfaces are supported. Please note that currently line/point surfaces are not rendered particularly well, but we hope to fix that in future revisions.

Ciao,
Dario

pignus
06-22-2009, 07:12 AM
Hello again,

As promised over the weekend, we've updated TNGViewer with a fix for unstructured LightWave content directories (i.e. where object files are located next to scene files.)

As usual, the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu is your friend; finally, the version history is available at: http://tng3d.com/version_history.html

Enjoy,
Dario

Kuzey
06-22-2009, 07:51 AM
Dario...nicely done :thumbsup:

I found another problem...if the object has catmull-Clark sub-d on and you try to open the scene file related to it....it won't load. Loading the LW object works fine.

Kuzey

pignus
06-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Dario...nicely done :thumbsup:

I found another problem...if the object has catmull-Clark sub-d on and you try to open the scene file related to it....it won't load. Loading the LW object works fine.

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

I'm sorry about this inconvenience. Admittedly we have not tried the LightWave 9.x Catmull-Clark option yet...
Could you please provide a sample scene and object file showing the problems?

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

Kuzey
06-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Haha...it's no inconvenience...more fun then anything else :D

I'll get a scene ready and upload it tomorrow...I'm about to log off the internet.

Kuzey

Kuzey
06-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Here's a simple scene and object to play with :D

Kuzey

pignus
06-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Here's a simple scene and object to play with :D

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

In the archive you've posted it is actually the .lwo file that is not loading properly -- it contains a 'SUBD' chunk, which is not supported by TNGViewer. The .lws file fails simply because the .lwo one does...

Thanks,
Dario

Kuzey
06-22-2009, 04:09 PM
So does that means Catmull-Clark subd is not supported at all.

Which is fine by me, I don't use it that much....but I thought I'd check to make sure :D

Kuzey

pignus
06-22-2009, 05:11 PM
So does that means Catmull-Clark subd is not supported at all.

Which is fine by me, I don't use it that much....but I thought I'd check to make sure :D

Kuzey

Hi Kuzey,

Yes, I'm afraid that Catmull-Clark subdivisions are not available in TNGViewer. The only surface chunks supported are 'FACE', 'PTCH', and 'BONE'.

Ciao,
Dario

MicroMouse
06-24-2009, 01:51 PM
For Catmull-Clark subdivisions, just handle the 'SUBD' chunk as though it was a 'FACE' chunk.

Wayne

Larry_g1s
06-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Sounds cool pignus, thanks, I'll check it out.

pignus
06-24-2009, 03:00 PM
For Catmull-Clark subdivisions, just handle the 'SUBD' chunk as though it was a 'FACE' chunk.

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

Thanks for this information -- do you actually mean that the contents of a 'SUBD' chunk are byte-by-byte equivalent to those of a 'FACE' chunk...?

Thanks again,
Dario

MicroMouse
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi Dario,

Yes, the 'SUBD' and 'FACE' chunks are byte by byte equivalent.

Wayne

pignus
06-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi Dario,

Yes, the 'SUBD' and 'FACE' chunks are byte by byte equivalent.

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Thank you very much for this information -- TNGViewer should support the 'SUBD' chunk just fine in the next revision: I am attaching a screenshot of Kuzey's test model (based on Catmull-Clark subdivisions), posted earlier in this thread.

Thanks again,
Ciao,
Dario

MicroMouse
06-26-2009, 12:27 PM
You're welcome, Dario.

Wayne

virtualcomposer
06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Wow deeply impressed, works beautifully now (see pic), enormous thanks pignus for gifting this great little tool to the Lightwave community.

Looks like you're lacking software programs and hard drives. :D Have you heard of the company Adobe? LOL :D:D:D

gerry_g
06-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Actually one hard drive had been yanked at the time, also my one T NAS drive only shows up in he finder window, bummer :(

virtualcomposer
06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Actually one hard drive had been yanked at the time, also my one T NAS drive only shows up in he finder window, bummer :(

I thought I was doing good at 3 hard drives. Guess I'd better start looking for 15 more. LOL Cool to see you have a Mac. :thumbsup:

Dreamer
06-26-2009, 03:29 PM
hanks for this app. I find it very useful for just viewing object files. Also, I don't have any problems loading SubD files, they are just coming in as polys.

pignus
06-26-2009, 03:42 PM
hanks for this app. I find it very useful for just viewing object files. Also, I don't have any problems loading SubD files, they are just coming in as polys.

Hi Dreamer,

We've literally just added support for 'SUBD' chunks (which I assume can only be created in LightWave 9.x) -- previously said chunks shouldn't have been supported at all... are you sure the models you've tested hadn't been converted to polygons explicitly?

If not, could you please provide a sample model containing subdivision surfaces that it's working for you in the current TNGViewer revision (1.0.0.436)...?

At any rate, the next revision shall contain explicit support for treating 'SUBD' chunks just like 'FACE' chunks.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
06-26-2009, 07:02 PM
And now, for something completely different -- the shameless plug moment. :)

We've published a new demo, called CoreEffect, of some rendering features available in TNG 3D. This technical showcase should give people an idea of what kind of quality can be achieved for realtime interactive presentations, which is the service our company (Immaginaria Ltd.) offers to businesses and individuals.

If you have the TNGPlayer Plugin (http://tng3d.com/plugin.html), the CoreEffect demo is available at:

http://tng3d.com/content/ced/

You can also cut-n-paste the above URL directly in the 'Open URL...' dialog in TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html).

Enjoy,
Dario

geo_n
06-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi Dreamer,

We've literally just added support for 'SUBD' chunks (which I assume can only be created in LightWave 9.x) -- previously said chunks shouldn't have been supported at all... are you sure the models you've tested hadn't been converted to polygons explicitly?

If not, could you please provide a sample model containing subdivision surfaces that it's working for you in the current TNGViewer revision (1.0.0.436)...?

At any rate, the next revision shall contain explicit support for treating 'SUBD' chunks just like 'FACE' chunks.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

I also imported a subd object but it displayed as poly.
Models from lw 7 to 9 are not different and only material nodes are incompatible but the mesh is the same.

pignus
06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
I also imported a subd object but it displayed as poly.
Models from lw 7 to 9 are not different and only material nodes are incompatible but the mesh is the same.

Hi geo_n,

I'm glad to know your object worked fine, although I'm not entirely sure how this might work in the current TNGViewer revision... at any rate, the next revision shall contain explicit support for 'SUBD' chunks.

In general, please do not expect to see anything but polygons displayed in TNGViewer anytime soon -- current hardware simply isn't up to the task of rendering non-polygonal directives fast enough...

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
07-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Hello again,

We have released an update to TNGViewer, containing explicit support for 'SUBD' chunks and a few other fixes. As usual, you can browse the version history (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) for more information.

Perhaps the most notable new feature is Top Scenes, available from the File menu: this option will display a 3D wall of clickable thumbnails, representing the most-often visited scenes/models from the Open Recent list. I am attaching a screenshot of how Top Scenes looks like, after having opened a few scenes.
Please note that this feature is still experimental: use with care.

The latest TNGViewer release is available, as usual, at:

You can also use the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer help menu to get the update.

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
07-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Hello,

We have released another update to TNGViewer, featuring several bug fixes and performance improvements; the version history (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) contains all the details.

The 'Check for Updates...' option, as always, is your friend.

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
07-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Hello again,

We've just released a TNGViewer update (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) featuring support for older OpenGL cards (those with little or no fragment shading capabilities). The update also contains other fixes and improvements, as detailed in the version history (http://tngd.com/version_history.html).

As usual, you can choose the 'Check for Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu for smooth updating.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
07-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Hello again,

We've posted another TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) update, featuring (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) reduced installer size and launch time; on Windows, we've also removed the dependency on the Microsoft runtime redistributable.

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
09-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Hello again,

We've just released an update to TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) after the summer break, featuring (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) support for independent wrap settings on the U and V coordinates, and for the Invert Layer option in the Texture Editor.

As usual, the 'Check for Updates...' option in TNGViewer is the smoothest update route.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

-EsHrA-
09-02-2009, 11:27 AM
will check the latest version now...
i did check an older version which crashed immediatly if i remember correctly.

mlon

ps. does it run on w2k too?

pignus
09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
will check the latest version now...
i did check an older version which crashed immediatly if i remember correctly.

mlon

ps. does it run on w2k too?

I'm sorry to hear that you'd experienced a crash with TNGViewer: please report any problems you might encounter, such that we (attempt to) fix them in a timely manner.

We've never tested the application on Windows 2000: it might work, but we only provide support from Windows XP onwards.

Thanks,
Dario

Ivan_B
09-11-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi All,

Love the app!...Hope i'm not repeating anyone...tooo many replies to read.

I have a workaround for 64bit Vista systems..
(first up when the app launches all is white and nothing happens..then it crashes...this is the general process on 64bit...I have the latest version)

What to do...
1. right click on the TNGviewer icon
2. choose properties
3. click on "Compatability"
4. select "Run this program in compatibility mode for"
5. Select default win xp (service pack 2)

Thats it...Now launch the app...and youll notice a flicker as VISTA goes into XP mode, other apps should also run fine at the same time..most noticeable is the aero interface. Drag and drop your objects into the viewer and all is good!. once you exit the app, vista kicks in automatically.

Hope it helps...It did for me.

Thanks!

JamesCurtis
09-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Nice to know there may be a Vista 64bit workaound through Compatibility Mode. It would be nice if it could be compiled for 64bit natively though.

Will try it out.

pignus
09-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Hello,

We are sorry about the issues with Vista 64bit: unfortunately we do not have that system in our lab, therefore we have never tested it personally...
Regardless, the application should not crash -- in order to investigate the issue, could you please provide us with a system configuration report? Furthermore, it would be helpful to obtain the "TNGViewerLog.txt" file as well: on Vista it should be located in the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\TNGViewer folder.

Regarding native 64bit support, I'm afraid this wouldn't be a simple recompile: the whole rendering engine is expecting pointers to be 32bit wide...

Thank you,
Dario

Hieron
09-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Works fine here on Vista 64 bit. Installed it and opened the Ville demo without a hitch.

(Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 vid card, if it matters)

Nice viewer!

pignus
09-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Works fine here on Vista 64 bit. Installed it and opened the Ville demo without a hitch.

(Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 vid card, if it matters)

Nice viewer!

Hello Hieron,

Thanks for your compliments.

I'm glad to know TNGViewer works fine on your Vista 64bit machine -- perhaps Nackers' system configuration is not supported, but the application should indeed run fine (in 32bit mode, of course) on Vista 64bit...

Ciao,
Dario

OFF
09-13-2009, 03:38 AM
i got a message:
TNGViewer will now terminate.
Media Manager cannot initialize Sound I/O!

(sound card M-audio Audiophile USB)

pignus
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
i got a message:

We're sorry about this inconvenience -- we've never had such a report before. It looks like OpenAL cannot create a proper context: if Windows recognizes your card correctly this should not happen, but we'll try to investigate this issue thoroughly in the next few days.

Thank you,
Dario

pignus
09-15-2009, 09:46 AM
i got a message:

We're currently investigating this issue: I've sent you a private message with request for information, but basically we'd like to take a look at the "TNGViewerLog.txt" file, which should be available in your local user's application data hierarchy...

Thank you,
Dario

JamesCurtis
09-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Got mine to work on my 64bit Vista machine after I changed the launch icons compatibility mode to WinXP/2000 mode.

BTW, how can you set a program to run as 32bit on a 64bit system?

pignus
09-16-2009, 03:28 AM
Got mine to work on my 64bit Vista machine after I changed the launch icons compatibility mode to WinXP/2000 mode.

BTW, how can you set a program to run as 32bit on a 64bit system?

I'm sorry you had to set the compatibility mode explicitly: as seen on this thread, other users are apparently running the application without problems on Vista 64bit.

Regarding the 32bit vs. 64bit issue, I have no idea how Vista handles it: on Mac OS X 32bit and 64bit processes can coexist smoothly, I would've thought the same was true for Vista...

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
09-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello again,

We have released an update (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) a few fixes plus support for machines with unrecognized (or absent) audio output hardware.

As usual, the 'Check For Updates...' option in the TNGViewer help menu gives you the fastest update route.

Dario

Ron Schatz
09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
win XP 64 is my platform, it does not even load, although it looks like it did, just the .com file and the uninstall are viewable.

I can use this if it worked, on xp64 (or laterW7)

will we be able to author our own walk arounds?

pignus
09-18-2009, 04:40 PM
win XP 64 is my platform, it does not even load, although it looks like it did, just the .com file and the uninstall are viewable.

I can use this if it worked, on xp64 (or laterW7)

will we be able to author our own walk arounds?

I am sorry about this incovenience -- once again, unfortunately we do not have Vista 64bit in our lab, so we can't test on this configuration as part of the standard build process.

Having said that, may I ask exactly what happens on your machine? If the application will not start up properly, you can try to set -- as other users in this thread have done -- the application's compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2 or later.

If, on the other hand, the application is *completely* missing from its corresponding Start Menu folder, then we would definitely like to see a system report of your system. You can create said report with the Microsoft System Information utility, which should be available from the Accessories->Administrative Tools folder.

Regarding authoring, I'm afraid that you can't create animated cameras (e.g. walk throughs) in TNGViewer. You can, however, navigate a model or scene freely, either by walking or flying, and at the same time save a QuickTime movie of your live walk through. More details are available in the user documentation (http://tng3d.com/viewer_docs.html).

Dario

Ron Schatz
09-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Regarding authoring, I'm afraid that you can't create animated cameras (e.g. walk throughs) in TNGViewer. You can, however, navigate a model or scene freely, either by walking or flying, and at the same time save a QuickTime movie of your live walk through. More details are available in the user documentation (http://tng3d.com/viewer_docs.html).

So the Samples are just QT mov?

Oh and I do not have Vista, XP64 is Not Vista, Windows XP profession x64bit is Not Vista 64. Vista will not see my Hard drive spaces ever!

Your installer path can not see the x86 programs folder, it gives you "[default]" at end of what ever path you give it, and when you browse you only see names.

This is so close to what I am looking for, but I can't dumb down a machine just for it.

Keep trying
and good luck
Ron

pignus
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
So the Samples are just QT mov?

Oh and I do not have Vista, XP64 is Not Vista, Windows XP profession x64bit is Not Vista 64. Vista will not see my Hard drive spaces ever!

Your installer path can not see the x86 programs folder, it gives you "[default]" at end of what ever path you give it, and when you browse you only see names.

This is so close to what I am looking for, but I can't dumb down a machine just for it.

Keep trying
and good luck
Ron

Ron,

Sorry about the confusion with Vista 64bit vs. XP 64bit, my fault -- unfortunately we don't have either in our lab, we only own the 32bit versions...

Regarding the installer: we use Inno Setup Compiler to create it -- I would've thought that product was more than capable of installing to any Windows version. Especially considering that the actual .exe file could really reside anywhere: only the interface and library files have to reside at a (somewhat) specific location.

Are you saying that you cannot install the application because the installer won't let you pick the correct path...? I've never seen such behaviour with installers created by Inno Setup.

Finally, I am not sure what you mean with the samples: they are *not* QuickTime movies but rather live demos...

Thanks,
Dario

Ron Schatz
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
The thumb nails in the demo on top of the viewer, are they the QT mov's.

The installer installs something somewhere but after it finishes and says install is good, the start menu programs list, just shows your .com link and the uninstall.exe, just 2 files. This is typ. for 32bit software in 64 machine, they have problems with the "Programs Folder (x86)" folder, I am not a coder and do not understand why this is a problem it just is.

64 bit LW renders "Like The Wind" it is just fast, oh, more than 2 gigs of memory for running programs. Lots of trees, people, and cars, buildings with cool railing details, heavy image maps, and using Fprime weigh down memory fast, and only a 64bit LW machine can open and render such scene's. I understand that this type scene is not your target market, but I have smaller jobs that will be used by your software once you get it finished in 32&64 vers.

Again, Good luck and don't fear the task, You are on the right track.

pignus
09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
The thumb nails in the demo on top of the viewer, are they the QT mov's.

Still not sure I understand -- several TNG 3D demos (http://tng3d.com/demos.html), in both TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) and TNGPlayer (http://tng3d.com/plugin.html), show clickable image thumbnails on their top bars, which correspond to actual cameras in the demos. TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) can export QuickTime movies in any codec, but the application and the demos (http://tng3d.com/demos.html) themselves do not contain QuickTime movies. The Ville (http://tng3d.com/content/ville/) demo features a clickable TV screen which displays a promotional QuickTime movie about our company, Immaginaria Ltd: this movie is streamed from our Web server directly to the viewer or player.

The installer installs something somewhere but after it finishes and says install is good, the start menu programs list, just shows your .com link and the uninstall.exe, just 2 files. This is typ. for 32bit software in 64 machine, they have problems with the "Programs Folder (x86)" folder, I am not a coder and do not understand why this is a problem it just is.

You can search for the "TNGViewer.exe" file on your default system disk from Windows Explorer: if said file was actually installed somewhere, then chances are it might even work as-is. Just create a shortcut to this file on your desktop, and try to launch it from there.

Hope this helps,
Dario

pignus
10-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Hello again,

We have updated TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html), adding a preferences dialog which contains some (inital) LightWave (and other) import options. More details are available in the version history (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html).

As always, you can use the 'Check For Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu to download the update.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
11-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Hello again,

We have posted an update to TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html), with support (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) for older graphics cards that lack rectangular texture features, such as many integrated chipsets like the Intel 915 family.

As usual, the 'Check For Updates...' option in the TNGViewer help menu is your friend.

Thank you,
Dario

pignus
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Hello everybody,

We have been busy adding support for multiple windows in TNGViewer; the current build looks quite stable, but we could definitely use some actual user testing before releasing it into the wild...

Basically, the File menu now contains a 'New' option, which will create a new, independent TNGViewer window, with its own state. This should let you view multiple models and scenes at the same time, but relatively solid iron is of course required -- if you have a modern machine and would like to test the latest TNGViewer release, please write us ([email protected]) specifying your platform (Win/Mac) and system (Vista/Leopard/etc.).

The usual disclaimers apply, as this is pre-release software; furthermore, if you test the build you are supposed to send us a testing report.

I am attaching a screenshot of the build running on a Core 2 Duo in Mac OS X Leopard.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
11-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Hello again,

We have released a major update (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) support for multiple independent windows as described in the previous post.
We would like to add a few testimonials from users of the application to our Web site: please feel free to submit ([email protected]) your experiences with TNGViewer.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
12-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Hello,

Next week we would like to test a new TNGViewer build, containing the companion feature to multiple independent windows: multiple threads.

This feature is still experimental, and quite possibly the new build will not be crash/lock-up free. However, if you have a multicore or multiprocessor machine (which would benefit the most from multithreading), and you are interested in using your iron as much as possible, you can participate in the beta test program by writing us ([email protected]).

Thank you,
Dario

pignus
01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Hello again,

We have released an update (http://tng3d.com/viewer.html) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/version_history.html) multithreaded QuickTime movie export, plus several display fixes (especially on Intel boards).

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Hello everybody,

We could really use some help from the community with testing the latest TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) feature before releasing it to the general public: cached LightWave and Autodesk content.

Whenever said feature is enabled (the default) via the General tab in the Preferences dialog, all recently-opened LightWave, 3D Studio, FBX, etc. files are cached as real-time TNG 3D scenes, with (roughly) an order of magnitude improvement in import performance. File modification times are used to determine whether a cached scene is stale and needs re-caching. Remote models and scenes are not cached, for performance reasons (obtaining their modification times is expensive).
Local file modification times are also used to generate thumbnails in Top Scenes: every time an entry is opened, its thumbnail might be re-cached, such that the next time you enter Top Scenes you'll get fresh thumbnails. The Preferences dialog has a new Top Scenes tab, from which you can empty the scene and thumbnail caches, and also reset the visit counters such that entries get sorted alphabetically.

The one caveat with scene caching applies to LightWave .lws scene files: please note that currently files are cached as entire hierarchies (e.g. the .lwo files loaded from a .lws file are not cached automatically), therefore if you modify some object file without modifying the corresponding scene file, the cache will not be updated automatically. Object files opened individually are always cached automatically.

If you are interested in testing the above changes, you can download private, not-to-be-distributed TNGViewer builds for:

Windows XP/Vista/7 (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.exe)
Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg)

If you do download a test build, please either write us ([email protected]) or post a reply to this thread -- we are not tracking downloads of the test builds, and we truly need user reports.

Thanks and ciao,
Dario

pignus
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Hello again,

We have released an update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) the options described in my previous post, plus a major new feature: you can now use the mouse wheel in Top Scenes to browse through the entire 'Open Recent' list. The Preferences dialog has also been enhanced: you can turn on or off multithreaded QuickTime export.

We appreciate any comments you might have about the latest version.

Thanks,
Enjoy,
Dario

PS: Please note that the test builds have been removed.

pignus
02-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Hello again,

We have released an update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) improved system compatibility on Windows 7 and Mac OS X Tiger, as well as several important fixes.

Upgrading is strongly encouraged for all users.

Enjoy,
Dario

Ron Schatz
02-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey great work, But, where is the 64Bit version?
You have a market, we are just reading, if we read for 32bit a no 64 we stop, and back to work, simple.

I will check back next month or year.

pignus
02-18-2010, 04:05 PM
You have a market, we are just reading, if we read for 32bit a no 64 we stop, and back to work, simple.

Ron,

Currently our rendering engine is targeted at 32-bit systems, although this might change in the future. Nonetheless, the application should install properly on 64-bit systems -- have you tried it on your system?

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
02-20-2010, 06:35 AM

We just tried TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) on Windows Vista 64-bit Professional and Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate: it worked on both systems. Any user experiencing problems on those systems please contact support ([email protected]) or reply to this thread.

We are not interested in Windows XP 64-bit: it is a defunct operating system, and as such we will not waste any resources trying to support it.

We provide TNGViewer as a free service to the community.
If you are interested in a 64-bit version of TNGViewer, you are welcome to show your commitment by opening your wallet.

pignus
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Hello again,

We have just released an update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) several important fixes: upgrading is strongly encouraged for all current users.

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
04-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Hello everybody,

We have released a major update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) to TNGViewer, featuring several new import options (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) in the Preferences dialog, plus a fallback Direct3D 9 renderer for Windows machines without decent OpenGL drivers.

As usual, you can select the 'Check For Updates...' option in the TNGViewer Help menu to download the latest release.

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
05-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Hello again,

We're happy to announce a major update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) to TNGViewer, featuring greatly improved (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) support for keyframe and bone/skinning animation.

The former can now be baked (default off) for very accurate results; the latter is currently limited to standard *Bone* tokens in .lws files. That is, we've implemented only the default falloff method, for lack of documentation and sample code. We do support 'WGHT' vertex maps in .lwo files.

Feel free to contact us ([email protected]) if you encounter any issues.

Enjoy,
Dario

nickdigital
05-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Does it not work on objects with UVs? My object shows up black but in Layout I see it textured.

pignus
05-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Does it not work on objects with UVs? My object shows up black but in Layout I see it textured.

Vertex maps of type 'TXUV' should be more than supported -- most of our interactive presentations (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=demos) were originally modeled in LightWave with UV maps. We also support planar and cubic projections.

Could you please provide the object and/or scene file that is not displaying properly?

Also, what platform/system/graphics card are you using?

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-21-2010, 06:14 PM
With help from nickdigital we've identified the issue: surfaces with 0% diffuse and specular components, but 100% luminosity, end up black in TNG 3D. This is obviously bad for textured meshes when using modulation; however, we can't support the luminosity component right now.
Therefore, the next TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) revision will add an option for using default materials on textured meshes.

Ciao,
Dario

pignus
05-26-2010, 08:00 AM
We have posted a test build with the new "apply default material to textured meshes" feature; this is off at startup, so you have to explicitly select it in the Preferences dialog.
Also, remember to clear or disable the cache before (re-)importing your models and scenes.

Get the test build while it's hot since we won't keep it around for long:

Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg)

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-28-2010, 07:19 PM
We have updated the test build with several important fixes:

Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg)

We plan to remove the build next week, when we release a public version of the software: as usual, please report any issues you might encounter.

Thanks,
Dario

gerry_g
05-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Textures do not show correctly in this build, the three snapshots below were captured form (reading left to right) 2.66 Core i7 MacBook Pro with an Nvidia GeForce GT330M (Running S.Leopard 10.6.3) , Dual Quad 3Gig Mac Pro with ATI x1900XT (Running Leopard 10.5.8), standard Modeler viewport view. All textures are png's, some luminance in one of the channels but have loaded other objects with colour channel settings only and get same results, also tried tif's with same results.

pignus
05-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Textures do not show correctly in this build, the three snapshots below were captured form (reading left to right) 2.66 Core i7 MacBook Pro with an Nvidia GeForce GT330M (Running S.Leopard 10.6.3) , Dual Quad 3Gig Mac Pro with ATI x1900XT (Running Leopard 10.5.8), standard Modeler viewport view. All textures are png's, some luminance in one of the channels but have loaded other objects with colour channel settings only and get same results, also tried tif's with same results.

Gerry,

I am sorry about this inconvenience, but our regression testing did not reveal any problems with textured LightWave objects...

Could you please provide the problematic .lwo/.lws file(s), and the related textures, such that we could investigate the issue with a debug version of the application? You can contact me privately if you can't/won't post your file(s) publicly.

I understand how the model should look like from the rightmost screenshot -- once again, it would be great for us to have this model.
The leftmost screenshot from the MBP w/GeForce 9400M is showing pure magenta -- in TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) this means that the original texture files could not be reached from the .lwo/.lws location.
The middle screenshot from the Mac Pro w/Radeon XT1900 showing a red(dish) tint could still mean that the textures were not found, but that the "Apply default material..." option in the Preferences dialog was not selected.

Thanks,
Dario

gerry_g
05-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Figured it out, only reads textures of objects saved (with textures) to a Layout scene file, if from Modeler only I get the pink, must be a path writing/ directory structure thing.

pignus
05-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Figured it out, only reads textures of objects saved (with textures) to a Layout scene file, if from Modeler only I get the pink, must be a path writing/ directory structure thing.

Gerry,

Actually, we are already attempting to handle situations like these -- in fact, we regularly test .lwo files without opening associated scene files...

If you provide us with a sample .lwo file showing the problem, together with its textures, we will investigate this issue in a debug version of the application.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
05-31-2010, 03:11 PM
We have updated the test build:

The 'Anim' menu now has a 'Rate' submenu, useful for slowing down/speeding up animations.

Ciao,
Dario

pignus
06-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Hello again,

We have updated the test build, with several important fixes:

This version clears the cache automatically on the first run; this is necessary to ensure that the latest fixes are applied when importing your objects and scenes.
Top Scenes can now be sorted with different criteria, available in the Preferences dialog.

Please let us know whether you encounter any issues.

Thanks,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
06-24-2010, 01:46 AM
Just discovered this soft and tested it. Works fine for me, as long as textures are not node-based. Works also fine with fbx (very cool for testing lwo=>fbx conversion !). Fails to load any type of obj, though.
Anyway, very cool tool, it will save me lots of time opening and rendering lwos and converted fbxs to check if conversion was good or not.

Many thanks for this !

pignus
06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Just discovered this soft and tested it. Works fine for me, as long as textures are not node-based. Works also fine with fbx (very cool for testing lwo=>fbx conversion !). Fails to load any type of obj, though.
Anyway, very cool tool, it will save me lots of time opening and rendering lwos and converted fbxs to check if conversion was good or not.

Many thanks for this !

Thank you for your appreciation.

TNGViewer supports all texture layers of type "Image Map" -- and only these texture layers. If you have a LightWave object file that fits these criteria, and it does not work for you, please post it here: we cannot solve issues without test data.
We routinely test TNGViewer on a plethora of .obj files: once again, if you have a file that does not work for you, please post it or send it to "support" AT "tng3d" DOT "com".

Thanks,
Dario

lucyisssi
06-24-2010, 09:04 PM
downloaded and attached the report

http://www.totalscreenrecorder.com

CaptainMarlowe
06-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Thank you for your appreciation.

TNGViewer supports all texture layers of type "Image Map" -- and only these texture layers. If you have a LightWave object file that fits these criteria, and it does not work for you, please post it here: we cannot solve issues without test data.
We routinely test TNGViewer on a plethora of .obj files: once again, if you have a file that does not work for you, please post it or send it to "support" AT "tng3d" DOT "com".

Thanks,
Dario

Well, after several tries, it does load .obj, except some of my own obj models, created in Lightwave and exported in obj from Lightwave. Even in this case, some load, other not. Pehraps it is due to the native LW exporter. It seems that the older objs don't load whereas more recent ones (even the ones I created today) load without problems.
Interesting. I will re-convert these objs with LW latest version and see what I get. If there is still a problem, then I'll send you an object to check.

Anyway thanks again.

pignus
06-25-2010, 05:53 AM
downloaded and attached the report

http://www.totalscreenrecorder.com

I am not sure I understand... what report?

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
06-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Well, after several tries, it does load .obj, except some of my own obj models, created in Lightwave and exported in obj from Lightwave. Even in this case, some load, other not. Pehraps it is due to the native LW exporter. It seems that the older objs don't load whereas more recent ones (even the ones I created today) load without problems.
Interesting. I will re-convert these objs with LW latest version and see what I get. If there is still a problem, then I'll send you an object to check.

Anyway thanks again.

Are you sure your .obj files have consistent line-endings...? They should be all LF or all CRLF. Furthermore, the last line in an .obj file should be empty in order to import it correctly...

HTH,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
06-25-2010, 07:25 AM
I'll check that.

pignus
06-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I'll check that.

Keep in mind that TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) lets you decide what SDK is used for importing .obj files: by default it is the Open Asset Import Library (Assimp). In the Preferences dialog, you can choose to use the Autodesk FBX SDK instead. If you change the importer, just make sure to clear or disable the cache before re-importing your files.

HTH,
Dario

pignus
06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
We have updated the test build again, with several fixes:

Please report any issues you might encounter.

Thanks,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
07-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Sorry, I didn't take the time to check, but I think there's a point, since all errors were an "assimp" failure. I'll try to change the importer as you recommand.
Thanks a lot for the tip. I'll check tonight, if my daughters allow me some spare time.:hey:

pignus
07-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Well, my own daughters left me enough time to update the test build again:

Please let me know if you have files that fail to display properly with this version, which adds support for Google Earth files (.kml/.kmz).

Thanks,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
07-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Hi Dario,

Works better for .OBJ, and still very good with lwo/fbx, even for heavy geometries.
Didn't try other formats for the moment.
It still don't load correctly .OBJ exported from Lightwave. BUT, when I load the LWO in 3D-Coat and then export to .OBJ, it then loads perfectly in TNG viewer.
The problem is thus certainly due to Lightwave .OBJ exporter...
I have a weird bug, on the other hand. When I open a window (the main one or preferences, for instance), it's like "frozen" (doesn't respond) until I slightly move it by clicking the top bar. After that, it works OK.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Paul.

pignus
07-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Hi Dario,

Works better for .OBJ, and still very good with lwo/fbx, even for heavy geometries.
Didn't try other formats for the moment.
It still don't load correctly .OBJ exported from Lightwave. BUT, when I load the LWO in 3D-Coat and then export to .OBJ, it then loads perfectly in TNG viewer.
The problem is thus certainly due to Lightwave .OBJ exporter...
I have a weird bug, on the other hand. When I open a window (the main one or preferences, for instance), it's like "frozen" (doesn't respond) until I slightly move it by clicking the top bar. After that, it works OK.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Paul.

We had never heard about this "frozen" issue -- this is the price of releasing freeware, I guess: people won't tell you anything, neither good nor bad, until you poke them... and even then, it's not sure you'll actually get an answer.

At any rate, we have never seen this issue on our test systems: what platform/system/graphics are you using?
Regarding .obj files, we do truly need a sample in order to investigate the issue.

Thanks,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
07-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Can't send you a sample file right now for I am at work.
My current system is a 2.8 i7 iMac with 8 gb ram. I run 10.6.4 Snow Leopard.
I'll try to remember sending you a sample file tonight - again if my daughters grant me some spare time, which is not certain...

pignus
07-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Can't send you a sample file right now for I am at work.
My current system is a 2.8 i7 iMac with 8 gb ram. I run 10.6.4 Snow Leopard.
I'll try to remember sending you a sample file tonight - again if my daughters grant me some spare time, which is not certain...

Paul,

I have just tried under 10.6.4 on a MacBookPro3,1 -- I can't reproduce the freeze you've described but this is of course an nVidia GeForce, whereas your system has an ATi Radeon...

Could you send me a System Profiler report at "support" AT "tng3d" DOT "com" ...? There might be other things at play on your machine.

Thanks,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
07-05-2010, 12:32 PM
How exactly do I get this kind of report ? I may know, but in French...

pignus
07-06-2010, 03:08 AM
How exactly do I get this kind of report ? I may know, but in French...

Menu pomme -> À propos de ce Mac -> Plus d'info: "Informations Système" s'ouvrira. Il faut alors selectionner Fichier -> Enregistrer et sauvegarder le fichier sous le format par default, c'est à dire "Informations Système 4.0 (XML)".

pignus
07-06-2010, 03:43 PM
We have updated the test build again:

This version adds Unicode support for path and object names -- provided you have installed Unicode fonts...

As usual, please report any issues you might encounter.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
We have posted an alternative build, using the recently released FBX SDK 2011.3:

Windows XP/Vista/7 (http://tng3d.com/software/test/fbx7/TNGViewerInstaller.exe)
Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/software/test/fbx7/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg) (Intel only)

Please report any oddities you might discover.

Thanks,
Dario

CaptainMarlowe
07-09-2010, 07:16 AM
I've been head over heels lately and didn't take the time to send you the profile. Anyway, the "freeze" issue has disappeared with this build. Everything works fine for me now.

Thanks again.

pignus
07-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Glad to know it works for you.

The bad news is that future TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) releases will have to be Intel only -- Autodesk has dropped PowerPC support for the FBX SDK, so we can't ship universal binaries any longer.

People interested in PowerPC builds should contact support AT tng3d DOT com.

Thanks,
Dario

extrabyte
07-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello all.

Thanks for the viewer.

The issue I'm having is when I try to open a model of New York City, it crashes the program.

I'm on Win 7 x64, 8 gb of ram, gtx 275 video card w/latest driver.

Any thoughts?

pignus
07-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Hello all.

Thanks for the viewer.

The issue I'm having is when I try to open a model of New York City, it crashes the program.

I'm on Win 7 x64, 8 gb of ram, gtx 275 video card w/latest driver.

Any thoughts?

We're sorry about this inconvenience -- if you provide us with the model/scene that does not work, we will definitely take a look at it: the only way for us to solve such an issue is to have complete test data. I'm sure you understand.

Given that TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) is a free product, please provide us with either a direct link to the model (no registrations, logins, subscriptions, fees, etc.) or simply send it to us ([email protected]) (preferably compressed).

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
07-22-2010, 07:35 PM
We have posted another TNGViewer test build -- hopefully the last one before the next public release, scheduled right after SIGGRAPH:

Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg) (Intel only)

This build fixes several issues, including a bug during the import of keyframe animation controllers from .lws files.

Please report any problems you might encounter.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
We had to update the test build, because of some interface and rendering fixes:

Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg) (Intel)

As usual, please report any issues you might encounter.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
We have updated the test build, fixing a nasty parenting issue in version 9 and later scene files (version 8 and earlier scene files were not affected):

Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/software/test/TNGViewerInstaller.dmg) (Intel)

As always, please report any issues.

Thanks,
Dario

pignus
08-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Hello again,

We have posted a public update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) to TNGViewer (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) -- the private build has passed regression testing, so it has been removed from our server.

Enjoy,
Dario

pignus
09-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Hello again,

We have released an update (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=viewer) to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) significantly improved cache performance.

Enjoy,
Dario

bramble303
09-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I haven't seen any other posts about this problem, but I can't save fbx files as any other format. The 'save as' box appears, but it won't allow me to input any information; it's blanked out in blue and will accept no characters whatsoever. I just downloaded and installed the latest version of TNG and appear to have no other problems with the software. Running on Vista. Does anyone have a solution? I'll be happy to provide any of my log files, but I'll need help as to exactly what you need to see and how to access and provide them. Thanks.

pignus
09-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I haven't seen any other posts about this problem, but I can't save fbx files as any other format. The 'save as' box appears, but it won't allow me to input any information; it's blanked out in blue and will accept no characters whatsoever. I just downloaded and installed the latest version of TNG and appear to have no other problems with the software. Running on Vista. Does anyone have a solution? I'll be happy to provide any of my log files, but I'll need help as to exactly what you need to see and how to access and provide them. Thanks.

Unfortunately we do not support saving to FBX or other 3D formats in the free TNGViewer version: you can only save to image and movies files.

Images and movies, however, should definitely work fine: on our test machines, they certainly seem to. Are you saying that on your Vista machine you cannot enter the filename?

HTH,
Dario

bramble303
09-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Yes, that is correct. I have .fbx files that play as animations on the TNG viewer. The instructions on the TNG site state I can save those animations as video files with .mp3 or .mp4 or .mov or other video formats. I click on 'save as' and the 'save' dialogue box appears showing the file structure from my hard drive; the name of the .fbx file as it is currently; and a blank box for 'save as type'. The same as any other 'save' box in other software. I try to enter characters into the 'save as type' box and the box will not accept input. I cannot input .mp4 or .mp3 or .mov or .jpg or any character. The box will not accept any characters, nor will it even allow my curser to 'click' into place on the input box.

To confirm, I have .fbx files and am trying to save as other video files. I am experiencing no other problems with the software and would not have even been aware of the 'save as' problem if I hadn't had the need to work with these .fbx files. Thank you

pignus
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Yes, that is correct. I have .fbx files that play as animations on the TNG viewer. The instructions on the TNG site state I can save those animations as video files with .mp3 or .mp4 or .mov or other video formats. I click on 'save as' and the 'save' dialogue box appears showing the file structure from my hard drive; the name of the .fbx file as it is currently; and a blank box for 'save as type'. The same as any other 'save' box in other software. I try to enter characters into the 'save as type' box and the box will not accept input. I cannot input .mp4 or .mp3 or .mov or .jpg or any character. The box will not accept any characters, nor will it even allow my curser to 'click' into place on the input box.

I'm afraid we don't support the "Save As Type" feature in the free TNGViewer version. You'll have to manually enter the filename in the corresponding box, complete with desired extension -- e.g. "screenshot.png" or "movie.mov".

We have just released an update to TNGViewer, featuring (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=version_history) fixes during QuickTime image and movie export (especially with the DirectX renderer):

Windows XP/Vista/7 (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=getapp&ext=exe&app=Viewer)
Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/SL (http://tng3d.com/index.php?page=getapp&ext=dmg&app=Viewer) (Intel)

HTH,
Dario

bramble303
10-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Thank you. As I mentioned, I cannot input any characters, file name, information, or other typed indicators into the file name box. The box is available but will not accept input. I cannot change nor add nor modify nor create file names in TNG. Apparently this seems to be a problem unique to me.

pignus
10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you. As I mentioned, I cannot input any characters, file name, information, or other typed indicators into the file name box. The box is available but will not accept input. I cannot change nor add nor modify nor create file names in TNG. Apparently this seems to be a problem unique to me.

We're sorry about this inconvenience... Unfortunately our Vista system gave up its ghost last week, so currently we only have Windows 7 and Windows XP in our test lab.

On these systems, we can enter filenames just fine in the corresponding box -- the file type box, however, is meant to be non-functional in free TNGViewer versions. Only the actual filename box is available, and that appears to work fine for us, on Mac OS X as well.

I'm not sure the issue is related to your machine only; however, I must admit we've never had other reports regarding non-functional filename boxes... usually, people manually enter something like "shot.jpg" or "animation.mp4", and TNGViewer just behaves as expected...

Sorry,
Dario